Strength measures your Player Character's muscle and physical power. This ability is especially important for fighters, barbarians, paladins, and rangers because it helps them prevail in combat. Strength also limits the amount of equipment your character can carry.
You apply your character's Strength modifier to:
- Melee attack rolls.
- Damage rolls when using a melee attack. (Exceptions: If your Strength modifier is positive, two-weapon off-hand attacks receive only half the usual modifier, and two-handed weapons receive one-and-a-half times it. Negative Strength modifiers apply at normal values in all cases.)
- Damage rolls when using a thrown weapon. (Please note: attack rolls for thrown weapons apply your Dexterity modifier unless you have the feat Brutal Throw.)
- If negative, applies to damage rolls when using a bow. Positive Strength modifiers only add to bow damage if the character possesses the Bow Strength feat. This applies to all Shortbows and Longbows.
- Jump and Swim checks. These skills have Strength as their key ability.
- Strength checks to break down some doors and pull some levers/valves. For example:
- Strength Domain clerics can apply Strength to their Reflex save
Note #1: Negative Strength modifiers cannot reduce a damage roll below 1 point.
Note #2: Several of the damage adjustments on this page do not display correctly in your wielded weapons' mouseover descriptions. They are listed correctly in the details at the bottom of your inventory panel, however.
The following Feats have a minimum Strength Requirement:
- Power Attack Feat requires Strength 13
- Two Handed Fighting Feat requires Strength 15
- Improved Two Handed Fighting Feat requires Strength 17
- Greater Two Handed Fighting Feat requires Strength 17
- Brutal Throw Feat requires Strength 13
Note: Feat prerequisites only take into account the following bonuses:
- Base stat value at character creation
- Level-up stat point increases
- Inherent bonuses from Ability tomes
Raising Strength Scores
You can raise your Strength score from different sources, among them:
During character creation, you can add up to 10 points to your basic Strength score, which means:
- A Dragonborn, Razorclaw Shifter and Half-Orc character can start with a Strength of up to 20
- A Halfling, Gnome or Deep Gnome characters can have a Strength of up to 16.
- All other races can start with a Strength of up to 18
At the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 24th, and 28th, you are allowed to raise a single ability by 1 point.
- The Stat point raises are often referred to as "level-ups". These increases count towards Feat prerequisites.
Inherent bonuses stack with all other bonuses and also count towards Feat prerequisites.
- A Manual of Gainful Exercise will raise the Strength score by the appropriate value. For more information, refer to Tomes. These bonuses will show on your character sheet in the Feat section.
- General Feats
- Completionist feat - available at level 3 to completionists. Bonus of +2 to all abilities.
- Great Ability - Epic feat available at level 21, 24, 27, or 30. Bonus of +1 to Strength. May be selected multiple times.
- Racial Past Life Feats - The second past life feat for Half-Orc is +1 Strength. These are auto-granted at level 1, but do not count for feat prerequisites. See Racial Reincarnation.
- Racial Completionist - Auto grant for all racial lives. Passive bonus of +2 to all abilities. It stacks with completionist. It does not count for feat prerequisites
- Class Feats
- Rage, the barbarian's primary class feat provides +4 Rage bonus while raged. Auto-grant to Barbarians at level 1.
- Greater Rage provides an additional +2 Rage Bonus when raging, for a total of +6. Auto-Grant to Barbarians at level 11.
- Tireless Rage - additional +2
- Mighty Rage provides an additional +2 Rage Bonus when raging, for a total of +10. Auto-Grant to Barbarians at level 20.
- Monk Sun Stance provides a +2/+3/+4 Bonus to Strength when centered and in Fire Stance.
- Inspire Excellence Epic Feat provides Bard Song that gives +2 Competence Bonus to All Statistics. Does not stack with other Competence bonus.
- Cleric Strength Domain: permanent +2 at level 2; gain additional str for 20 seconds when using Turn Undead (Divine bonus)
- Class Enhancements
- Artificer: Battle Engineer Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Barbarian: Ravager Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Bard: Warchanter Core 1 Enhancement - Skaldic Strength - Provides +1 Rage Bonus to Strength.
- Warchanter Capstone - Warmaster - Provides +2 Strength.
- Cleric: Warpriest T5 Divine Power - +6 Sacred bonus
- Cleric: Warpriest capstone Implacable Foe - Provides +2 Strength.
- Favored Soul: War Soul T5 Divine Power - +6 Sacred bonus
- Favored Soul: War Soul capstone Implacable Foe - Provides +2 Strength.
- Druid: Nature's Warrior Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Nature's Warrior Capstone - Beast Form Mastery - Provides +1 Strength.
- Fighter: Kensai, Stalwart Defender Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Kensai Core Enhancement 4 - Power Surge - Provides +8 Psionic Bonus to Strength for 60 seconds per use. Will not stack with other Psionic Bonuses.
- Kensai Capstone - Alacrity - Provides +2 Strength.
- Stalwart Defender Enhancement - Strong Defense - Provides +6 Strength while in Stalwart Stance. Can be taken at Tier 3, 4, or 5.
- Monk: Henshin Mystic, Shintao Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Paladin: Vanguard Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Sacred Defender Enhancement - Strong Defense - Provides +6 Strength while in Sacred Stance. Can be taken at Tier 3, 4, or 5.
- Rogue: Thief Acrobat Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Thief Acrobat Capstone - Followthrough - Provides +2 Strength.
- Sorcerer: Fire Savant, Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Wizard: Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Strength - Provides +1 Strength at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Wizard: Pale Master Enhancement - Shroud of the Zombie - Provides +2 Strength when in Zombie Form.
- Wizard: Pale Master Enhancement - Shroud of the Vampire - Provides +2 Strength when in Vampire Form.
- Racial Enhancements - Seven races allow to raise the Strength score via enhancements:
- Half-Orc, Dragonborn characters can increase their Strength by two
- Half-Orc Orcish Rage - Provides a +2 Primal Bonus to Strength while action Boost is active.
- Half-Orc Power Rage - Provides a +2 additional Rage bonus to Strength while raging. (stacks with other Rage bonuses from Barbarian class feats and enhancements)
- Human, Half-Elf, and Purple Dragon Knight characters can increase their Strength by one (Human Racial Enhancements, Half-elf Racial Human Enhancements)
- Half-Elf Tier 3 Enhancement can increase its Strength by +1.
- Epic Destiny Enhancements -
- Fury of the Wild Primal Scream - provides +2 morale bonus to strength at tier 1. There is an upgrade in tier 4
- Primal Avatar Spirit Boon - +2 primal bonus to Strength while toggled on. Tier 3 Enhancement. Will not stack with other Primal Bonuses.
- Legendary Dreadnaught +3 action boost bonus to Strength while using an action boost
Unless noted otherwise, bonuses within a single category do not stack.
- Enhancement Bonus
- Random Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 to +14.
- Named Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 to +14.
- Cannith Crafting Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 to +13.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with an enhancement bonus of +5 (heroic) or +13 (Legendary) in the Prefix (Blue) Slot.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Strength augment with an enhancement bonus of +1 to +12
- Exceptional bonus
- Globe of True Imperial Blood can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus to Strength.
- Diamond of Exceptional Strength +1 can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus to Strength.
- Named items may provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Strength. List here.
- Dragontouched Armor Tempest Runes may be slotted to provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Strength.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +2 Exceptional bonus in Tier 3.
- Insight bonus
- Random loot or named items may come with a +1 to +6 Insight bonus.
- Cannith Crafting items may come with a +1 to +6 Insight bonus.
- Incredible Potential Tower of Despair crafting may add a +2 Insight bonus to Strength on Tower of Despair Rings.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +6 Insight bonus in Tier 2.
- Augment: +5 (ML24)
- Quality bonus
- Named items may come with a +1 to +3 Quality bonus.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with a Quality bonus of +1 (heroic) or +4 (Legendary)[ ] in the Extra 2 (Yellow) slot.
- Captain's Set Provides a +1 Quality bonus to Strength.
- Epic Captain's Set Provides a +2 Quality bonus to Strength.
- The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +2 Quality bonus to Strength.
- Epic The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +3 Quality bonus to Strength.
- Epic Cape of the Roc +6 Quality bonus as a clicky.
- Artifact bonus
- Alchemical bonus
- Alchemical Crafting from the Secrets of the Artificers can provide a +2 Alchemical Bonus in Tier 2 for Alchemical Weapons.
- Legendary Hammerfist +4 alchemical bonus to Strength via Cannith Combat Infusion 1.5% chance process rate. Fabricator's Bracers as well
- Tenser's Transformation +4 alchemical bonus to Strength
- Profane bonus
- Litany of the Dead provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Strength. -
- Epic Litany of the Dead provides a +2 Profane Bonus to Strength. -
- - Named items
- - Named items
- Might of the Abishai Set provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Strength.
- Greater Might of the Abishai provides a +3 Profane Bonus.
- Hezrou Cookie Provides a +4 Profane Bonus to Strength for 12 minutes.
- Psionic bonus
Bonuses from spells will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources
- Morale bonus
- Enhancement bonus
- Bull's Strength - Provides a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Strength
- Size bonus
Unless otherwise noted, Temporary bonuses will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources.
- Guild bonus
- Alchemical bonus -
- Rage bonus - Does not stack with Barbarian Class Rage or Warchanter Enhancement Skaldic Rage.
- Owlbear Cookie Provides a +4 Rage Bonus to Strength for 15 minutes.
- Psionic bonus
- Warforged Titan Cookie provides a +6 psionic bonus to Strength.
- Stacking bonuses - These bonuses are all temporary and seem to be Untyped and stack with all other sources
- Yugo Pot bonus - The Yugoloth Favor Potion, Essence of Fury, adds a +2 bonus to Strength for 15 minutes).
- Long Lasting Elixir of Bull's Strength - Found in the DDO Store or the Monster Hunter vendor, provides a +2 bonus to Strength.
- Blood Rage - Available on the Scourge Choker and Epic Locus of Vol - These items provide a stacking +2/+4/+6 bonus to Strength for a limited duration when an enemy hits you.
- Madstone Boots - Provides a clicky Madstone Rage which provides a +2 stacking bonus to Strength for 2 minutes. Madstone Rage can also be acquired from enemies in Madstone Crater.
- Madstone Boots - The boots also have an on-hit by enemy process called Madstone Reaction. This is a separate bonus of +2 to Strength for 2 minutes. It stacks with the clicky and all other sources.
- Competence +2 (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
NOTE: This is a work in process to update to update 51
The Breakdown is as follows:
- 20 Base (Spend 10 build points to get maximum possible for Race)
- +7 Level-up
- +8 Tome
- +1 Racial PL Feat for Half-Orc
- +2 Racial Completionist
- +2 Completionist Feat
- +4 Epic Feat (Great Ability x4)
- +14 Item Enhancement Bonus
- +6 Insightful (Item)
- +2 Exceptional Item/Augment
- +6 Quality Item
- +3 Artifact (augment set)
- +2 Guild Airship Buffs
- +14 Sentient Filigrees
- +4 Profane (Hezrou cookie. +2 Sustainable from Well Rounded or Litany)
- +4 Alchemical (+4 from Tenser's Transformation)
- +2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
- +2 Yugoloth
- +2 DDO Store Potion
- +4 Primal Scream Fury of the Wild Epic Destiny Tier 1 Ability with upgrade from tier 4
- +4 Madstone Boots Clicky effect
- +4 Madstone Boots on hit effect they stack - not sustainable for numbers only
- +13 Enhancements
- +8 psionic (kensi) +6 from warforged cookie - requires 12 fighter so locks out greater rage
- +10 rage - not counting the bonus from enhancements
- +8 morale - under 40% HP half orc, +4 primal scream
- +2 rams might
- +3 action boost
- +2 primal