The Tear of Dhakaan
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
The Tear of Dhakaan is an ancient relic of the long-dead Dhakaani Empire.
|The Tear of Dhakaan|
|Takes place in:||Arzag-Khor Sewers|
|Bestowed by:||Karnat Thaar|
|NPC contact:||Karnat Thaar|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
The hobgoblin Karnat Thaar has recruited you to wage war against the Arzag-Khor tribe, so that Karnat's tribe -- the Kech Volaar -- can seize possession of the Tear of Dhakaan. Slay a great number of the Arzag-Khor warriors and destroy their leaders in order to clear the way for Karnaat Thaar's party. If you also discover the shattered pieces of the Tear of Dhakaan, you will further impress your employer.
- Extremely long quest with 6 optional shards to collect. It's not a run and dump quest.
- Slay 100 Arzag-Khor tribesmen
- Slay Warmage Zurat-Khor
- Slay Chieftain Arzag-Khor
- (Optional) Acquire all 6 Shards of the Tear +50% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Agate Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Amber Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Cinnabar Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Lapis Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Malachite Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Acquire Moonstone Shard +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Lieutenant Morkag-Khor +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Lieutenant Graka-Khor +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Lieutenant Karuk-Khor +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Champion Tarkar +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Champion Prantag +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Champion Krazna +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Champion Guptrak +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Champion Nartrar +10% Bonus.
What to Expect
- 7 Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Quest item collection (optional: 6 shards)
- Runes (optional: require INT and WIS checks)
- Stat check (optional: 1 lever, requires a STR check)
- Dart trap before the second door, by the center column
- Spike trap down the eastern passage, in the water
- Fire traps further down the passage - a gate drops behind you and they start up before you turn the corner. There are two sets. The first panel is on the wall across from the water; the second is in the last alcove on the left.
- Lightning trap down the western passage, just past the secret door; if you approach and activate it, a few large ochre jellies will come at you and be hit, splitting into several ochre jellies.
- Dart traps in the L-shaped tunnel just west of the first shrine, triggered upon pulling the lever to open the red-crystal door.
Tips and Misc
- The dogs ("Arzag-Khor mutts") are very fond of tripping you. And they're rather good at it, too. Beware packs surrounding you - you may never get up!
- Expect many hobgoblins and Warmages (think buffed Cleric) on the way, and the odd bit of swimming!
- At least later in the quest, the bowmen fire arrows that can do cold damage.
- When you get to the main village square, you get an "It would be unwise to remain here" warning. Believe it - the hobgoblins in this area respawn - quickly, in large numbers, and endlessly.
- Warmage Zurat-Khor (required) is in the western dead-end path near the end.
- Chieftain Arzag-Khor (required) is (unsurprisingly) in the very last room at the end of the quest.
- A balanced party is highly recommended if you wish to get all the optional XP. However hirelings of appropriate level and class can suffice for the runes: level 7+ Barbarians for Strength, Wizards for INT and Clerics for WIS. A few are a couple points short though, so a scroll/wand of bull's strength, owl's wisdom or fox's cunning may be required. Even if you don't fullfill any of the requirements yourself, you can solo the quest by starting out with a fighter or barbarian hireling, get the lever with STR requirement, double back to the entrance, unsummon, summon a wizard, get the INT rune, backtrack again and finish the quest with a cleric in your party.
- Pale Masters have this one easy - a decent level in Corpsecrafter will allow your Skeleton Knight to deal with the STR lever, you should be able to handle the INT yourself, so a decent-level Cleric Hireling is the only one you need.
- You can turn in the shards to Traagus outside the dungeon entrance for 10pp each.
Finding the Shards of the Tear of Dhakaan (DC's listed for Elite):
Finding Shards is optional - if you don't want the extra 110(+)% experience for all 6 shards (plus associated mini-boss kills), just push north through the first intersection, jump down across the water pit and keep going north until you reach the cavern section. But, if you want to find all 6 Shards...
- At the first intersection (4-way), pull the levers (on the backside of the intersection pedestals) to open the East/West gates.
- The Cinnabar Shard is west, and requires Int 22. The Shard itself lies in a cell behind a secret door half-way down that passage, but the lever to open the gate is found at the end of the west tunnel, and an Intelligence Rune opens the door to that room.
- Go east to find the Agate Shard, which requires Str 22. Just before you reach the fire blast traps, a gate will close behind you which opens up a passage containing the shard, due south. A lever at the end of that tunnel (past the fire traps) opens that gate again. The lever to open the final cell requires the Strength check.
- The next "intersection" takes the form of a an open shaft with water at the bottom.
- Jump west for the Amber Shard, and follow that passage, which leads down some ladders to a guard room. There are 3 valves needed to activate signal crystals on bars leading to the crystal itself: one is on the slope to the right as you enter down into the guard room (and so easy to miss as you enter combat), one is on top of the guard platform, one is in the water behind it.
- The Malachite Shard requires a Wisdom of 20 to reach, plus some underwater swimming. Jump down into the water and dive through an underwater passage heading south. The Wisdom Rune is behind a sealed secret door on your right, the lever to open that door is just past the passage to your first shrines, on the left.
- There are no shards for a while after those, just a lot of hobgoblins to fight. The next is just as you first look down on the goblin village square...
- The Lapis Shard is in a room behind the top of the waterfall just to the left as you first enter above the goblin village. To get there, you have to jump across a series of ledges (there's a mushroom collectable marking the spot). Jump just past the waterfall, then back through it into the passage behind it. The Shard itself is protected by a single clay golem. If you miss any of this series of tricky jumps you fall into a pond and will have to fight your way though a horde of villagers, so it might be an idea to clear them first and then go back up (or split the party?). If you are soloing you might have little choice but to run away, heal, and try again.
- After more fighting, but before the final room with Chieftain Arzag-Khor...
- The Moonstone Shard is in the room with Lieutenant Graka-Khor (just before the last shrine), on the top level of the platforms, far towards the back - no bars, no runes, no tricks. If you find yourself at the end of the quest and missed it, it's not far to go back, and worth the xp to do so.
- Aggression bonus: 128 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 167 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 205 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 71 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 93 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 114 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 10 - 12
- 1 rare optional for killing the Champion Krazna - 10% of base XP
- 1 optional for killing Champion Guptrak - 10% of base XP
- 1 optional for killing Champion Nartrar - 10% of base XP
- 1 optional for killing Champion Prantag - 10% of base XP
- 1 optional for killing Champion Tarkar - 10% of base XP
- 1 rare after dropping down a shaft and entering the caverns below the sewers
- 1 optional for killing Lieutenant Morkag-Khor - 10% of base XP
- 1 optional for killing Lieutenant Karuk-Khor - 10% of base XP (can spawn in 3 different locations)
- 1 for killing the Clay Golem (in the room with the Lapis Shard above waterfall)
- 1 for killing Warmage Zurat-Khor
- 1 optional for killing Lieutenant Graka-Khor - 10% of base XP (can spawn in 3 different locations)
- 1 for killing Chieftain Arzag-Khor
- Collectables: 10
- Rubble underwater at the first intersection
- Crude Altar near the lever for the Cinnabar shard
- Mushroom on a ledge of the shaft
- Crude Altar near the Malachite shard
- Adventurer's Pack underwater in the tunnel leading N from the ambush room
- Mushroom underwater in the room with the platforms and the valves
- Rubble underwater in the room with the platforms and the levers
- Mushroom on the ledge just left of the entrance to Arzag-Khor
- Mushroom near the Lapis shard
- Rubble underwater near the bottom of the waterfall in Arzag-Khor
- NPC rewards: Standard, Choose from 10 items up to ml:4