Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Dexterity is one of the six basic stats of DDO.
Dexterity measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. This ability is the most important one for rogues, but it’s also high on the list for Player Characters who typically wear light armor (rangers and barbarians), medium armor (barbarians), or no armor at all (monks, wizards, and sorcerers), and for anyone who wants to be a skilled archer.
You apply your Player Character’s Dexterity modifier to:
- Ranged attack rolls, including those for attacks made with bows, crossbows, throwing axes, and other ranged and thrown weaponss.
- Armor Class (AC), provided that the character can react to the attack.
- Reflex saving throws, for avoiding fireballs and other attacks that you can escape by moving quickly.
- Balance, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Tumble checks. These are the skills that have Dexterity as their key ability.
You can also apply your Dexterity Modifier to your Melee attack rolls and/or damage rolls through the use of:
- Weapon Finesse General Feat (Attack Rolls only)
- Swashbuckler Tier 3 enhancement Different Tack (Damage Rolls Only)
- Ninja Spy Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Basic Ninja Training and Advanced Ninja Training (Both, when centered)
- Tempest Core 2 and Core 3 enhancements Tempest and Graceful Death (Both, when dual wielding)
- Assassin Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Knife in the Darkness and Dagger in the Back (Both, Daggers and Kukris only)
- Thief-Acrobat Core 1 and Core 2 enhancements Staff Control and Stick Fighting (Both, but only with Staves)
- Deepwood Stalker Tier 2 Enhancement - Improved Weapon Finesse (Damage Rolls only, check restrictions)
- Elf and Morninglord Tier 4 enhancement - Grace (Damage Rolls Only and Only with specific racial weapons)
- Named Weapons with the Finesse attribute will also allow you to use your Dexterity Modifier. Such as Item:Zephyr or Item:Treason. They are rare, however.
You can apply your Dexterity Modifier to your Ranged Damage rolls through the use of:
- Deepwood Stalker Tier 2 Enhancement - Improved Weapon Finesse (Bows and Throwing Weapons only)
- Elf and Morninglord Tier 4 enhancement - Grace (longbows or shortbows only)
- Halfling Tier 3 Enhancement - Skillful Thrower (Throwing Weapons only)
The following Feats have a minimum Dexterity Requirement:
- 21 required for Epic Improved Sneak Attack
- 19 required for Improved Precise Shot
- 17 required for Manyshot
- 17 required for Improved Two Weapon Fighting
- 17 required for Greater Two Weapon Fighting
- 17 required for Epic Combat Archery
- 15 required for Two Weapon Fighting
- 13 required for Ten Thousand Stars
- 13 required for Precision
- 13 required for Dodge
- 13 required for Mobility
- 13 required for Spring Attack
- 13 required for Weapon Finesse
- 13 required for Rapid Shot
- 13 required for Shot on the Run
- 13 required for Shuriken Expertise
- 13 required for Mobile Spellcasting
Note: Feat Pre-reqs Only take into account the following bonuses:
- Base Stat value at Character Creation
- Level-Up stat point raises
- Inherent Bonuses from Ability tomes
Raising Dexterity Scores
You can raise your Dexterity score from different sources, among them:
- During character creation, you can add up to 10 points to your basic Dexterity score, which means:
- A Drow Elf, Elf, Halfling, Tabaxi, and Shadar-Kai character can start with a Dexterity of up to 20
- A Bladeforged or Dragonborn character can have a Dexterity of up to 16.
- All other races can start with a Dexterity of up to 18
- At the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 24th, and 28th, you are allowed to raise a single ability by 1 point.
- The Stat point raises are often referred to as "level-ups". These increases count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
Inherent bonuses stack with all other bonuses and also count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
- A Manual of Quickness in Action will raise the Dexterity score by the appropriate value. For more information, refer to Tomes. These bonuses will show on your character sheet in the Feat section.
Unless noted otherwise, Feat Bonuses stack with each other and other sources of bonuses.
- General Feats
- Completionist feat - available at level 3 to completionists. Bonus of +2 to all abilities.
- Great Ability - Epic feat available at level 21,24,27, or 30. Bonus of +1 to Dexterity. May be selected multiple times.
- Racial Past Life Feats - The second Past Life Feat for Elf, Halfling, Shifter and Tabaxi is +1 Dexterity. These are auto-granted at level 1, but do not count for feat pre-requisites. For more information see: Racial Reincarnation.
- Class Feats
- Monk Air Stance provides a +2/+3/+4 Bonus to Dexterity when centered and in Air Stance.
- Inspire Excellence Epic Feat provides Bard Song that gives +2 Competence Bonus to All Statistics. Does not stack with other Competence bonus.
- Class Enhancements
- Artificer: Battle Engineer Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Bard: Swashbuckler Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Fighter: Kensai,Vanguard Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Monk: Henshin Mystic, Ninja Spy , Shintao Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Ninja Spy Capstone - Serenity - Provides +2 Dexterity.
- Ranger: Arcane Archer, Deepwood Stalker,Tempest Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Arcane Archer Capstone - Mystical Archer - Provides +4 Dexterity.
- Deepwood Stalker Capstone - Horizon Shot - Provides +4 Dexterity.
- Tempest Capstone - Dervish - Provides +4 Dexterity.
- Rogue: Assassin, Mechanic,Thief-Acrobat Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Assassin Capstone - Deadly Shadow - Provides +2 Dexterity.
- Mechanic Capstone - Hip Flask - Provides +2 Dexterity.
- Thief-Acrobat Capstone - Followthrough - Provides +2 Dexterity.
- Sorcerer: Air Savant, Sorcerer Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Wizard: Wizard Eldritch Knight Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Pale Master enhancements Improved Shrouding - Shroud of the Master Vampire and Shroud of the Dread Wraith provide +2 Dexterity while in Vampire or Wraith Form.
- Patron Enhancements
- Harper Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity in Core 2 and 4 and at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Racial Enhancements - Five races allow to raise the Dexterity score via enhancements:
- Elf, Halfling, Drow Elf characters can increase their Dexterity by two
- Human, Half-Elf, Shadar-Kai, and Purple Dragon Knight characters can increase their Dexterity by one (Human Racial Enhancements, Half-elf Racial Human Enhancements)
- Any Half-Elf with can increase its Dexterity by one as a Tier 3 Enhancement
- Elf, Half-Elf, and Morninglord Arcane Archer Enhancement - Dexterity - Provides +1 Dexterity at Tier 3 and Tier 4.
- Epic Destiny Enhancements -
- Grandmaster of Flowers Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Shadowdancer Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Primal Avatar Spirit Boon - +2 primal bonus to Dexterity while toggled on. Tier 5 Enhancement. Will not stack with other Primal Bonuses.
- Fatesinger Echos of the Ancestors - Marital or Primal - Provides a +1 bonus to Dexterity for the Shadowdancer or Shiradi Champion selector.
- Shiradi Champion Tier 1 - 6 Stat Increase - You can select a +1 Dexterity increase at each level for 2 EDP. Maximum of +6 total.
- Shiradi Champion Audience with the Queen Can provide Pleasure of the Queen for a +4 Royal Bonus to Statistics or Joy of the Queen - Love for a +10 Royal Bonus. 5 minute duration.
Unless noted otherwise, bonuses within a single category do not stack.
- Enhancement Bonus
- Random Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +17.
- Named Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +18.
- Cannith Crafting Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +15.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with an enhancement bonus of +5(heroic) or +17(Legendary) in the Prefix (Blue) Slot.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Dexterity augment with an enhancement bonus of +1 - +8
- Exceptional bonus
- Globe of True Imperial Blood can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Diamond of Exceptional Dexterity +1 can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Named Items may provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Dexterity. Detailed List here: Category:Exceptional Dexterity items
- Dragontouched Armor Tempest Runes may be slotted to provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Dexterity.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +2 Exceptional bonus in Tier 3.
- Insight bonus
- Random loot may come with a +1 - +8 Insight bonus.
- Cannith Crafting items may come with a +1 - +7 Insight bonus.
- Named items
- Incredible Potential Tower of Despair crafting may add a +2 Insight Bonus to Dexterity on Tower of Despair Rings.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +7 Insight bonus in Tier 2.
- Quality bonus
- Named items may come with a +1 - +4 Quality bonus.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with a Quality bonus of +1(heroic) or +4(Legendary) in the Extra 2(Yellow) slot.
- The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +2 Quality Bonus to Dexterity.
- Epic The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +3 Quality Bonus to Dexterity.
- Artifact bonus
- Set bonuses Slave Lord's Might Set provides +1 Artifact Bonus (Heroic 5 Piece Set) and +2 Artifact Bonus (Legendary 5 Piece Set)
- Alchemical bonus
- Alchemical Crafting from the Secrets of the Artificers can provide a +2 Alchemical Bonus in Tier 2 for Alchemical Weapons.
- Profane bonus
- Litany of the Dead - Ability BonusLitany of the Dead - Ability Bonus: The Litany of the Dead enhances the physical and mental abilities of its owner. Grants a +1 Profane bonus to all Abilities. - Litany of the Dead provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Dexterity.
- Litany of the Dead II - Ability BonusLitany of the Dead II - Ability Bonus: The Litany of the Dead enhances the physical and mental abilities of its owner. Grants a +2 Profane bonus to all Abilities. - Epic Litany of the Dead provides a +2 Profane Bonus to Dexterity.
- Profane Well Rounded +1Profane Well Rounded +1: +1 profane bonus to all abilities. - Executioner's Platemail and Band of Insightful Commands provide a +1 Profane Bonus to Dexterity.
- Profane Well Rounded +2Profane Well Rounded +2: +2 profane bonus to all abilities. - Legendary Executioner's Platemail and Legendary Band of Insightful Commands provide a +2 Profane Bonus to Dexterity.
Named weapons that use Dexterity for attack/damage
|Name||ML||Type||Attack mod||Damage mod|
|Chieftain's Spear||4||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Tiefling Assassin's Blade||4||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Staff of Nat Gann||4||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Sky Pirate's Dagger||4||Dagger||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Midnight Greetings||5||Kukri||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Blade of the Clouds||6||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR|
|Zephyr||10||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Flint||10||Dagger||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Whirlwind||10||Great Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Axe of the Unseen Blow||14||Hand Axe||STR, DEX||STR|
|Treason||14||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Envenomed Blade||16||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Zephyr||20||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Staff of Nat Gann||20||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Midnight Greetings||20||Kukri||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Epic Envenomed Blade||20||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Rebellion||25||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Legendary Blade of the Clouds||27||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR|
|Legendary Midnight Greetings||30||Kukri||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Legendary Staff of Nat Gann||30||Quarterstaff||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Legendary Envenomed Blade||30||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
|Legendary Zephyr||30||Short Sword||STR, DEX||STR, DEX|
Bonuses from spells will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources
- Enhancement Bonus
- Cat's Grace - Provides a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Dexterity
- Alchemical Bonus-
- Tenser's Transformation - Provides a +4 Alchemical Bonus to Dexterity
Unless otherwise noted, Temporary bonuses will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources.
- Guild bonus
- Guild Airship buff shrines - Provides a +1 or +2 Artifact bonus. (Note: Modern ship buffs only provide +2, but +1 or +2 legacy shrines may still be purchased.)
- Alchemical bonus
- Potion of Grace - The House Deneith Collector, Magda Yarrowmill, may provide a Potion of Grace +1 - +3 alchemical bonus, in exchange for particular collectables.
- Fabricator's Bracers provide Cannith Combat Infusion - a +4 Alchemical Bonus for 10 seconds when hit by an enemy. 1.5% chance proc rate.
- Profane bonus
- Hezrou Cookie When you consume a Hezrou Cookie, you receive a +4 Profane Bonus to Dexterity for 12 minutes.
- Stacking bonuses - These bonuses are all temporary and seem to be Untyped and stack with all other sources
- Yugo Pot bonus - The Yugoloth Favor Potion, Essences of Betrayal, adds a +2 bonus to Dexterity for 15 minutes.
- Long Lasting Elixir of Cat's Grace - Found in the DDO Store or the Monster Hunter Vendor, provides a +2 bonus to Dexterity.
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking the edit link above.
NOTE: This is accurate through U38
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Dexterity is 146/136 (Situational/Sustainable) in Primal Avatar using an Elf/Halfling Fighter 12/ Monk 8.
The theoretical Situational maximum for Dexterity is 154/134 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using an Elf/Halfling Fighter 12/ Monk 8.
The Breakdown is as follows:
- 20 Base (Spend 10 build points to get max possible for Race)
- +7 Level-up
- +8 Tome
- +2 Racial Enhancement (6 AP)
- +16 Class Enhancements
- +4 Harper Enhancements (24 AP, Core 2 & 4, Tier 3 & 4 Dexterity +4)
- +2 Racial PL Feats for Elf and Halfling
- +2 Racial Completionist
- +2 Completionist Feat
- +4 Epic Feat (Great Ability x4)
- +5 Twists (+3 twisted in from EDs, +1 twisted in from Epic Completionist bonus +1 Twisted in with Level 30 bonus Twist)
- +22 Item Enhancement Bonus (Item: Sigil of the Triumverate)
- +10 Insightful (Sharn Nearly Finished, Several items)
- +2 Exceptional(Legendary Greensteel)
- +5 Quality Item (Item: Legendary Black Satin Waist)
- +2 Artifact (Legendary Slave Lords Might Set)
- +2 Guild Airship Buffs
- +6 Epic Destinies (e.g. +6 from Primal Avatar/Shiradi Champion for +6 Tier 1-6)
- +4 Profane(Abishai Bonus. +2 Sustainable from Well Rounded or Litany)
- +4 Alchemical (+2Alchemical Weapon or +4 from Tenser's Transformation)
- +2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
- +2 Yugoloth
- +2 DDO Store Potion
- +11 Sentient Filigree (+8 weapon, +3 minor artifact)
- Now pick one of two destinies - Primal Avatar for Sustainable Max. Shiradi Champion for Situational Max. You cannot be in two destinies simultaneously.
- +2 Primal Avatar +2 from Spirit Boon (Sustainable) OR
- +10 Royalty (+10 from Audience with the Queen Shiradi bonus, lasts 5 minutes)(Not Sustainable)
- This option only requires 4 levels of Monk, technically. You can obtain the necessary Adept/Master/Grandmaster of Forms Feats without 8 Monk levels.
- You can, thus incorporate 4 Ranger, 4 Rogue levels or do a 14/6, 15/5, or 16/4 Fighter/Monk Split.
- If you Change the Race to Human or Half-Elf it costs you -1 Dexterity.
- If you want to eliminate the Monk entirely, it costs you -4 Dexterity.
- If you want to run in Shadowdancer or Grandmaster of Flowers it costs you -2 Dexterity.
- If you want to run pure builds: Fighter 20(-3 Dex), Rogue 20 (-11 Dex), Ranger 20 (-9 Dex), Monk 20 (-7 Dex)