Intelligence determines how well your Player Character learns and reasons. This ability is important for Wizards, Artificers and Alchemists as it affects how many spell points they have, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It's also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.
- Disable Device, Repair, Search, and Spellcraft skill checks. These are the skills that have Intelligence as their key ability.
- The amount of bonus spell points you gain as a Wizard, Artificer or Alchemist.
- The number of skill points gained each level.
- The Spell Difficulty Class (DC) for Wizard, Artificer and Alchemist spells.
- The Insightful Reflexes Feat allows Intelligence to be used for all Reflex Save rolls, instead of Dexterity.
- The Alchemist bonus feats Liquid Courage and Tough Tincture allow Intelligence to be used for Will or Fortitude saves respectively.
- Harper Know the Angles will add 1/2 your intelligence modifier to your damage rolls and the Difficulty Class(DC) of your Tactical feats.
- Mechanic Tanglefoot, Thunderstone, Ooze Flask, and Time Bomb use Int Modifier for the Difficulty Class(DC).
- Assassin Poison Strikes, Shadow Dagger and Assassinate use Int Modifier for the Difficulty Class(DC).
- Arcanotechnician Arcane Empowerment uses Int Modifier for the Difficulty Class(DC).
- Vile Chemist More Hidden Blades allows Int modifier to improve the effects of the Simple Thrown Expertise feat.
You can also apply your Intelligence Modifier to your Melee and/or Ranged attack rolls and/or damage rolls through the use of:
- Harper Strategic Combat I (attack rolls only)
- Harper Strategic Combat II (damage rolls only)
- Swashbuckler Tier 3 enhancement Different Tack (damage rolls only)
- Mechanic Core 3 enhancement Targeting Sights (damage rolls with Crossbows and Thrown Weapons only)
- Battalion Brew Alchemist bonus feat (attack rolls with Simple weapons only)
Feat Prerequisites and Skill Points
The following Feats have a minimum Intelligence Requirement:
At first level (character creation), the number of skill points given is equal to ( + Intelligence modifier) * 4. At each further level gained in a class, a character receives a number of skill points equal to + Intelligence modifier (with a minimum of 1 skill point).
Note: Even if your Player Character's race starts with 6 Intelligence (Half-Orc), and your Player Character's class gets 2 base skill points per level (Cleric, Favored Soul, Fighter, Paladin, Sorcerer, or Wizard), your Player Character will still get 1 skill point each level.
IMPORTANT: Both Feat Pre-reqs and Skill Points Only take into account three sources/bonuses when determining your Intelligence/Intelligence Modifier:
- Base ability value at Character Creation
- Level-Up ability point raises
- Inherent Bonuses from Ability tomes
Raising Intelligence Scores
You can raise your Intelligence score from different sources, among them:
- During character creation, you can add up to 10 points to your basic Intelligence score, which means:
- At the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 24th, and 28th, you are allowed to raise a single ability by 1 point.
- The ability point raises are often referred to as "level-ups". These increases count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
Inherent bonuses stack with all other bonuses and also count towards Feat Pre-requisites.
- A Manual of Clear Thought will raise the Intelligence score by the appropriate value. For more information, refer to Ability Tomes. These bonuses will show on your character sheet in the Feat section.
Unless otherwise noted, Feat Bonuses stack with each other and other sources of bonuses.
- General Feats
- Completionist feat - Bonus of +2 to all abilities - available at level 3 to completionists.
- Great Ability - Epic feat available at level 21,24,27, or 30. Bonus of +1 to Intelligence. May be selected multiple times.
- Racial Past Life Feats - The second Past Life Feat for Gnome and Drow Elf is +1 Intelligence. These are auto-granted at level 1, but do not count for feat pre-requisites. For more information see: Racial Reincarnation.
- Class Feats
The following class, racial and universal enhancements provide Intelligence score as part of their listed effects. Unless otherwise noted, enhancement tree bonuses stack with each other and other sources of bonuses.
- All Artificer enhancement trees offer +1 Intelligence at Tiers 3 & 4.
- Arcanotechnician: Arcane Empowerment (Level 20 Core Ability) - +4 Intelligence
- Battle Engineer: Master Engineer (Level 20 Core Ability) - +4 Intelligence
- Renegade Mastermaker: Mass Unbreakable Forcefield (Level 20 Core Ability) - +2 Intelligence
- The Henshin Mystic enhancement tree offers +1 Intelligence at Tiers 3 & 4.
- All Wizard enhancement trees offer +1 Intelligence at Tiers 3 & 4.
- Archmage: Master of Magic (Level 20 Core Ability) - +2 Intelligence
- Eldritch Knight: Eldritch Blade (Level 20 Core Ability) - +2 Intelligence
- Pale Master: Pale Shroud (Level 3 Core Ability) - all Undead Shrouds provide +2 Intelligence while active except for Shroud of the Zombie
- Pale Master: Embrace the Void (Level 20 Core Ability) - +4 Intelligence
- Universal Enhancements
- Racial Enhancements
- Deep Gnome, Drow Elf, Gnome and Morninglord offer +1 Intelligence in Core Abilities 2 & 4.
- Human, Half-Elf, Shadar-Kai and Purple Dragon Knight offer +1 Intelligence in their Core Abilities (since the same stat cannot be chosen twice for both stat-increasing Human Core Abilities.)
- Half-Elf offers a further +1 Intelligence at Tier 3 for those who have chosen Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, or Monk as their Half-Elf Dilettante feat.
Every Epic Destiny allows a stat increase to be selected at each tier for 2 Epic Destiny Points. The Epic Destinies which allow Intelligence to be selected are Draconic Incarnation, Magister and Shadowdancer - each tree offers up to +6 Intelligence. The following Epic Destiny abilities also offer Intelligence:
- Primal Avatar: Spirit Boon (Tier 5 Ability) - +2 Primal bonus to Intelligence while toggled on. Will not stack with other Primal Bonuses.
- Fatesinger: Glitter of Fame (ED Level 2 Innate Ability) - +1 Intelligence
- Fatesinger: Arcane Hymn (Tier 3 Ability) - +1 Intelligence for the duration of the buff.
- Shiradi Champion: Audience with the Queen Can provide Pleasure of the Queen for a +4 Royal Bonus to all Statistics or Joy of the Queen - Love for a +10 Royal Bonus. 5 minute duration.
Unless noted otherwise, bonuses within a single category do not stack.
- Enhancement Bonus
- Random Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +17.
- Named Loot Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +22.
- Cannith Crafting Items may come with the enhancement bonus of +1 - +15.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with an enhancement bonus of +5(heroic) or +17(Legendary) in the Prefix (Blue) Slot.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Intelligence augment with an enhancement bonus of +1 - +12
- Exceptional bonus
- Globe of True Imperial Blood can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Diamond of Exceptional Intelligence +1 can be slotted into a Colorless Slot and provides +1 Exceptional Bonus.
- Named Items may provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Intelligence. Detailed List here: Category:Exceptional Intelligence items
- Dragontouched Armor Tempest Runes may be slotted to provide a +1 Exceptional Bonus to Intelligence.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +2 Exceptional bonus in Tier 3.
- Insight bonus
- Random loot may come with a +1 - +8 Insight bonus.
- Cannith Crafting items may come with a +1 - +7 Insight bonus.
- Named items may come with a +1 - +10 Insight bonus.
- Incredible Potential Tower of Despair crafting may add a +2 Insight Bonus to Intelligence on Tower of Despair Rings.
- Legendary Green Steel items may be crafted with a +7 Insight bonus in Tier 2.
- Colorless Augment Slots can be slotted with a Intelligence augment with an Insight bonus of +5
- Quality bonus
- Named items may come with a +1 - +5 Quality bonus.
- Slave Lords Crafting Items may come with a Quality bonus of +1(heroic) or +4(Legendary) in the Extra 2(Yellow) slot.
- The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +2 Quality Bonus to Intelligence.
- Epic The Devil's Handiwork Set provides a +3 Quality Bonus to Intelligence.
- Artifact bonus
- Set bonuses Slave Lord's Sorcery Set provides +1 Artifact Bonus (Heroic 5 Piece Set) and +2 Artifact Bonus (Legendary 5 Piece Set)
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Litany of the Dead provides a +1 Profane Bonus to Intelligence. -
- Epic Litany of the Dead provides a +2 Profane Bonus to Intelligence. -
- Executioner's Platemail and Band of Insightful Commands provide a +1 Profane Bonus to Intelligence. -
- Legendary Executioner's Platemail and Legendary Band of Insightful Commands provide a +2 Profane Bonus to Intelligence. -
- Reaper bonus - +2 Reaper Ability Bonus to Intelligence.
Named weapons that use Intelligence for attack/damage
|Name||ML||Type||Attack mod||Damage mod|
|Brine Shaman's Staff||6||Quarterstaff||INT, CHA||STR|
|Stave of the Seer||8||Quarterstaff||INT, WIS||INT, WIS|
|Staff of Inner Sight||10||Quarterstaff||INT, WIS, CHA||INT, WIS, CHA|
|Doublecross Bow||16||Repeating Light Crossbow||DEX, INT||N/A|
|Epic Doublecross Bow||20||Repeating Light Crossbow||DEX, INT||N/A|
|Epic Staff of Inner Sight||20||Quarterstaff||STR, INT||STR, CHA|
|Legendary Doublecross Bow||30||Repeating Light Crossbow||DEX, INT|
|Legendary Staff of Inner Sight||30||Quarterstaff||STR, INT||STR, CHA|
Bonuses from spells will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources
- Enhancement Bonus
- Fox's Cunning - Provides a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Intelligence
Unless otherwise noted, Temporary bonuses will not stack with bonuses of the same type from other sources.
- Guild bonus
- Alchemical bonus
- Profane bonus
- Abishai Destroyer When you consume all five Abishai Cookies, you receive a +4 Profane Bonus to Intelligence for 10 minutes.
- Stacking bonuses - These bonuses are all temporary and seem to be Untyped and stack with all other sources
NOTE: This is accurate through U35
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Intelligence for a caster is 123/114 (Situational/Sustainable) in Magister using a Sun Elf, Drow, Deep Gnome, or Gnome Wizard 20.
The theoretical Situational maximum for Intelligence for a caster is 127/108 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using a Sun Elf, Drow, Deep Gnome, or Gnome Wizard 20.
The Breakdown is as follows:
- 20 Base (Spend 10 build points to get max possible for Race)
- +7 Level-up
- +8 Tome
- +2 Racial Enhancement (6 AP)
- +9 Class Enhancements
- +4 Patron Enhancement Harper Agent (24 AP, Core Intelligence +2, Tier 3&4 Intelligence +2)
- +2 Racial PL Feats for Drow and Gnome
- +2 Racial Completionist
- +2 Completionist Feat
- +4 Epic Feat (Great Ability x4)
- +5 Twists (+3 twisted in from EDs, +1 twisted in from Epic Completionist bonus +1 Twisted in with Level 30 bonus Twist)
- +22 Item Enhancement Bonus (Item)
- +10 Insightful(Item, Random loot (Legendary Greensteel +7 max)
- +2 Exceptional(Legendary Greensteel)
- +5 Quality (Legendary Festering Mummy Wrappings)
- +2 Festive (Augment, e.g. Diamond of Spooky Intelligence +2)
- +4 Artifact (Legendary Slave Lords Sorcery Set)
- +2 Guild Airship Buffs
- +16 Sentient Filigrees (+11 in 9 weapon slot, +5 in 3 minor artifact slot)
- +4 Profane(Abishai Bonus. +2 Sustainable from Well Rounded or Litany)
- +4 Alchemical (+2Alchemical Weapon or +3 from Deneith Pot)
- +2 Competence (Bard Inspire Excellence song)
- +2 Yugoloth
- +2 DDO Store Potion
- Now pick one of two destinies - Magister for Sustainable Max. Shiradi Champion for Situational Max. You cannot be in two destinies simultaneously.
- +6 Epic Destinies (e.g. +6 from Magister INT Sustainable) OR
- +10 Royalty (+10 from Audience with the Queen Shiradi bonus, lasts 5 minutes)(Not Sustainable)
The theoretical Sustainable maximum for Intelligence for a non-Caster Character is 144/135 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shadowdancer using a Sun Elf, Drow, Deep Gnome, or Gnome Fighter 12/Rogue(or Artificer) 8.
The theoretical Situational maximum for Intelligence for a non-Caster Character is 148/129 (Situational/Sustainable) in Shiradi Champion using a Sun Elf, Drow, Deep Gnome, or Gnome Fighter 12/Rogue(or Artificer) 8.
The only difference will be the Class & Patron Enhancements.
- +10 Class Enhancements
- +4 Patron Enhancement Harper Agent (22 AP, Core Intelligence +2, Tier 3& 4 Intelligence +2)
This yields a +1 Intelligence difference from the Wizard 20 version above.