Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
- For information on searching a Wiki itself, see this meta-wiki article.
With the search skill you can locate secret doors and hidden objects like the control box of a trap. Note that there is no die roll involved; if your search skill is high enough, you'll always discover the object/door, and if it isn't you never will.
Traps with a DC of 20 or less can be found by any character (or hireling) with a high enough Search. If the DC is higher than 20, only classes with the Trapfinding feat can find them (i.e. only Rogues and Artificers, currently).
- Class Skill for a Ranger, Alchemist, Rogue, and Artificer
Boosting your search
Search is a skill and it can be affected by any ability that provides a bonus to skills. As a Rogue or Artificer, you want to be able to reach the maximum search skill you can reach.
- Search bonuses can be found on various items, including random loot and crafted in Cannith crafting
- Also many Named Search items
- There are relevant class/race/epic destiny enhancements or feats that increase your search skill.
- You can have search items in your inventory and put them on when you have spotted a trap and want to search for it. Note that items with the same bonus type will not stack. Besides the items listed above, there are items that give a bonus to all Intelligence skills.
- Boosting your Intelligence is an indirect way of raising your search skill. At low levels, you can use potions of Fox's Cunning to get a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence that low level gear will not provide. This is equivalent to a +2 to search skill if you didn't have any Intelligence gear equipped. Note that enhancement bonuses do not stack.
- Heroism potions will provide a +2 morale bonus to all skills. This doesn't stack with other morale bonuses. Since potions are usable from level 1 and do not require any skills, a respectable Rogue should always carry some.
- If you have some UMD (a class skill for rogues and artificers), you can use Prayer scrolls for a +2 Luck bonus to all skills, Find Traps scrolls for a +1 Insight bonus to search, or even Greater Heroism scrolls to upgrade to a +4 Morale bonus.
- There are other spells or abilities from other classes that will provide bonuses to skills. However, a rogue or artificer will not be able to take advantage of them unless partied with those other classes or multiclassing into those other classes.
See also: DDO information project/Spot and Search
Root > DDO library > Classes > Alchemist
Root > DDO library > Classes > Artificer
Root > DDO library > Classes > Ranger
Root > DDO library > Classes > Rogue
Root > DDO library > Skills
Root > DDO library > Skills > Active skills