- For information on searching a Wiki itself, see this meta-wiki article.
With the search skill you can locate secret doors and hidden objects like the control box of a trap. If your search skill is high enough, you'll discover the object/door; note that there is no die roll involved. Classes without the Trapfinding feat cannot find traps with the Search skill if the DC is higher than 20.
- Class Skill for a Ranger, Alchemist, Rogue, and Artificer
- Search items
- Search bonuses can be found on random loot or crafted in Cannith crafting
Boosting your search
Search is a skill and it can be affected by any ability that provides a bonus to skills. As a trapper, you want to be able to reach the maximum search skill you can reach.
- There are relevant class/race/epic destiny enhancements or feats that increase your search skill.
- You can have search items in your inventory and put them on when you have spotted a trap and want to search for it. Note that items with the same bonus type will not stack. Besides the items listed above, there are items that give a bonus to all Intelligence skills.
- Boosting your Intelligence is an indirect way of raising your search skill. At low levels, you can use potions of Fox's Cunning to get a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence that low level gear will not provide. This is equivalent to a +2 to search skill if you didn't have any Intelligence gear equipped. Note that enhancement bonuses do not stack.
- Heroism potions will provide a +2 morale bonus to all skills. This doesn't stack with other morale bonuses. Since potions are usable from level 1 and do not require any skills, a respectable trapper should always carry some.
- If you have some UMD (a class skill for rogues and artificers), you can use Prayer scrolls for a +2 Luck bonus to all skills, Find Traps scrolls for a +1 Insight bonus to search, or even Greater Heroism scrolls to upgrade to a +4 Morale bonus.
- There are other spells or abilities from other classes that will provide bonuses to skills. However, a rogue or artificer will not be able to take advantage of them unless partied with those other classes or multiclassing into those other classes.
See also: DDO information project/Spot and Search