Alchemists are a class introduced to DDO in February of 2020 (in Update 45). It's a full spell-casting class based on Alchemist Savant prestige class from the Magic of Eberron PnP sourcebook with unique spell book; 90+ spells. They cast spells in a different manner than other classes. When not casting, they are a range-throwing hybrid, throwing darts, poison darts. Alchemists are elementalists + poison damage. Intelligence-based prepared casters are subject to arcane spell failure.
- throwing flasks
- poisoner - poison your weapons
- one more tree (buffing and healing tree)
- concoction they can mix and give to their friends; with powerful short-term effects
- all new spells
Alchemist is free for VIP's, and can be bought from the DDO Store for 1,495
You can purchase Alchemy recipes at the arcane scroll vendor in the House of Wizardry in House Jorasco.
Hit die: d4
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude and Reflex, bad Will
- Skill points at 1st level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) x4
- Skill points at each additional level: 2 + Intelligence modifier
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Passive: +1 Transmutation DC, +20 spell points
Active: +1 UMD and a 1/rest clickie that replenishes mana, based on level. At level 30, it's 160 (maybe 165?) mana.
- Apothecary enhancements - buff, support, positive healing, and negative damage. Tier 5 (Heal admixture as AoE, instakill, sleep).
- Bombardier enhancements - spell DPS, SLAs, bonuses with Pyrite reactions
- Vile Chemist enhancements - poisons and debuffs: poison damage on weapon damage (like EK); weapon bonuses to simple weapons; cone spells with lingering poison damage. Tier 5: extra threat with Darts
|Table: The Alchemist||Alchemist Spells|
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Auto-Granted Feats||Spell points||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||6th|
|1st||+0/+0||+2||+2||+0||Inscribe Alchemy Recipe, Arcane Lore, Magical Training, Alchemical Spellcasting, Echoes of Power||50||2||-||-||-||-||-|
|2nd||+1/+1/+6||+3||+3||+0||Insightful Reflexes, Potions +1||75||3||-||-||-||-||-|
|3rd||+2/+2/+7||+3||+3||+1||Alchemy on the Run||100||3||1||-||-||-||-|
|6th||+4/+4/+9||+5||+5||+2||Multitude of Missiles||180||3||2||1||-||-||-|
|8th||+6/+6/+11/+16||+6||+6||+2||Bonus Feat, Potions +3||245||4||3||2||-||-||-|
Alchemist Class Feats
Alchemists get a bonus feat every 4th level.
- Empower Spell
- Enlarge Spell
- Eschew Materials
- Extend Spell
- Heighten Spell
- Maximize Spell
- Mental Toughness
- Quicken Spell
- Improved Mental Toughness
- Precise Shot
- Quick Draw
- Rapid Shot
- Shot on the Run
- Point Blank Shot
- Simple Thrown Expertise: You are skilled with the use of the Simple Throwing Weapons, and have a chance to throw an additional one per throw. (Percent chance to throw an additional projectile is equal to your Dexterity.) (REQ: Dex 13+) (Simple Thrown Expertise will also be available to non-Alchemists as a general/open Feat).
- Alchemical Studies - Pyrite: +1 Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 4)
- Alchemical Studies - Verudite: +1 Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 4)
- Alchemical Studies - Orchidium: +1 Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 4)
- Battalion Brew: Int to hit and damage with Simple weapons. (requires Alchemist 4)
- Liquid Courage: You can use INT for Will saves. (requires Alchemist 8) - mutually exclusive with Tough Tincture
- Tough Tincture: You can use INT for Fort saves. (requires Alchemist 8) - mutually exclusive with Liquid Courage
- Toxic Tonic: You are immune to Poison damage and get bonus saves versus poisons. (requires Alchemist 12)
- Liquid Luck: You gain evasion. (requires Alchemist 12)
- Alchemical Studies: Pyrite: +1 Max Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 16 and the relevant Studies feat)
- Alchemical Studies: Verudite: +1 Max Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 16 and the relevant Studies feat)
- Alchemical Studies: Orchidium: +1 Max Caster level with spells that match either of the two colors in your study. (requires Alchemist 16 and the relevant Studies feat)
- An alchemist must choose and prepare their spells ahead of time (see below).
- To inscribe, prepare, or cast a spell, the alchemist must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an alchemist’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier.
- Like other spellcasters, an alchemist has a limited number of spell points and spell slots.
- Their base daily allotments are given in the previous table.
- Bonus Spell points are awarded for high Intelligence as detailed here.
- Unlike a bard or sorcerer, an alchemist may know any number of spells. They must choose and prepare their spells ahead of time by resting at a rest shrine or being in a tavern. While resting, an alchemist should decide which spells to prepare.
- All spells have somatic components, and Alchemist spells do invoke Arcane Spell Failure. Some spells have Material components. Alchemists have their own material components.
- Of particular note to players when developing an alchemist character is that certain spells may only be obtained through the Auction House; finding a scroll or choosing it upon leveling up.
- See also spell usefulness.
Every Alchemist spell is part of one of three Primer Categories: Crimsonite, Gildleaf, and Cerulite. Using spells with different Primers in succession causes a Reaction; Verdanite, Orchidium, or Pyrite. The game remembers your current Reaction as well as the Primer of the last spell you cast. Using a Crimsonite spell and then a Gildleaf spell will put you in the Pyrite state (with a sub-state listing of Gildleaf, for the last spell you cast). Casting Crimsonite or Gildleaf spells while in Pyrite will keep you Pyrite (but will change your sub-color to Gildleaf or Crimsonite). If you were to then cast an Cerulite spell, it would remove you from the Pyrite state and change your Primer to Cerulite. In short: The last two Alchemist spells you cast determine your Reaction. Each of the Reactions does something to you, and the Enhancement Trees hook into them significantly.
- Pyrite Reaction: +2 Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, and Poison Spell Power per Alchemist Level. (+40 at 20 Alchemist)
- Verdanite Reaction: +2 Positive and Negative Spell Power per Alchemist Level (+40 at 20 Alchemist)
- Orchidium Reaction: +2 Physical Resistance Rating per Alchemist Level (+40 at 20 Alchemist)
- When you change reactions, you'll get a large bonus that corresponds to the Reaction you moved to for 12 seconds:
- Pyrite Reaction: Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, and Poison Spellpower equal to (10 + quadruple your Alchemist level) and a -20% Enhancement Bonus to Spell Point Cost.
- Verdanite Reaction: Positive and Negative Spellpower equal to (10 + quadruple your Alchemist level) and Transmutation and Conjuration DCs equal to (1 + 1 for every 5 Alchemist Levels).
- Orchidium Reaction: Physical Resistance Rating and Elemental Resistance equal to (10 + triple your Alchemist level).
- With some exceptions, the following applies:
- Crimsonite, spells govern Elemental and Poison damage (fire cold acid electric and poison) and melee/ranged imbues.
- Gildleaf spells govern Positive and negative healing/damage, Crowd Control, and Debuffs.
- Cerulite spells govern Defensive abilities and mitigation, buffs, and utility spells.
- All spells have Somatic components, and Alchemist spells do invoke Arcane Spell Failure. Some spells have Material components. Alchemists have their own Material Components.
Using spells with different primers in succession causes a Reaction. When you enter a reaction state, you receive a short-term buff (12 seconds) and a long-term buff (permanent until you leave the reaction state). You remain in a reaction, as long as you only cast spells from the two triggering primers. You can increase the effects of a reaction by spending points in Alchemist's enhancement trees.
|Reaction||Triggered by casting||Long-term buff (per alchemist level)||Short-term buff||Related tree|
|Orchidium||Crimsonite > Ceruleite||+2 PRR||PRR and Elemental Resistance equal to (10 + triple your Alchemist level)||Vile Chemist enhancements|
|Pyrite||Crimsonite > Gildleaf||+2 Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, and Poison Spell Power||Fire, Cold, Electric, Acid, and Poison Spellpower equal to (10 + quadruple your Alchemist level) and a -20% Enhancement Bonus to Spell Point Cost||Bombardier enhancements|
|Verdanite||Gildleaf > Ceruleite||+2 Positive and Negative Spell Power||Positive and Negative Spellpower equal to (10 + quadruple your Alchemist level) and Transmutation and Conjuration DCs equal to (1 + 1 for every 10 Alchemist Levels)||Apothecary enhancements|