Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Acolyte of the Skin
Introduced in Update 26, the Warlock class creates Eldritch Blasts to destroy enemies in addition to a variety of arcane spells to aid them in their adventures. Charisma is their casting stat for spell DCs and spell points. Originally a premium class, Warlock was made free with Update 53.
Design intention of the class is toward concentrating mostly on its Eldritch Blast ability and ways to manipulate other arcane blasts in various ways. While the Warlock does have spell abilities, they are closer to a ranged character than a traditional caster. It is a regular class, not race-specific iconic one.
Alignment: Any - but being Lawful, Chaotic or Good restricts your pact options.
Hit die: d6
- Skill points at 1st level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) x4
- Skill points at each additional level: 2 + Intelligence modifier
|Use Magic Device (Charisma)|
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
- Eldritch Blaster
- Enlightened Spirit, OR Acolyte of the Skin, mutually exclusive
- Soul Eater
- Tainted Scholar
|Table: The Warlock||Warlock Spells|
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fortitude Save||Reflex Save||Will Save||Auto-Granted Feats||Eldritch Blast Damage||Pact Damage||Spell Points||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||6th|
|1st||+0/+0||+0||+0||+2||Eldritch Blast, Pact Choice, Magical Training, Light armor proficiency, Simple weapon proficiency||1d8||-||50||1||-||-||-||-||-|
|2nd||+1/+1/+6||+0||+0||+3||Deceive Item, Pact Spell||1d8||1d6||75||2||-||-||-||-||-|
|4th||+3/+3/+8/+13||+1||+1||+4||Eldritch Blast, Pact Save Bonus +1||2d8||2d6||125||2||1||-||-||-||-|
|6th||+4/+4/+9/+14||+2||+2||+5||Pact Special Ability||2d8||3d6||175||2||1||-||-||-||-|
|8th||+6/+6/+11/+16||+2||+2||+6||Eldritch Blast, Pact Save Bonus +2||3d8||4d6||225||2||2||1||-||-||-|
|12th||+9/+9/+14/+19||+4||+4||+8||Eldritch Blast, Pact Save Bonus +3, Paragon's Aegis||4d8||6d6||325||2||2||2||1||-||-|
|14th||+10/+10/+15/+20||+4||+4||+9||Pact Spell, Paragon's Aegis||4d8||7d6||375||2||2||2||2||1||-|
|15th||+11/+11/+16/+21||+5||+5||+9||Pact Special Ability||4d8||7d6||400||2||2||2||2||1||-|
|16th||+12/+12/+17/+22||+5||+5||+10||Eldritch Blast, Pact Save Bonus +4, Paragon's Aegis||5d8||8d6||425||2||2||2||2||1||1|
|20th||+15/+15/+20/+25||+6||+6||+12||Eldritch Blast, Pact Save Bonus +5, Paragon's Aegis||6d8||10d6||525||2||2||2||2||2||2|
- Eldritch Blast (Stance): Eldritch Blast deals 1d8 damage at level 1, and increases by +1d8 at Warlock level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20; for a total of 6d8 at level 20. The base damage is Force, though enhancements can change this to Evil (will affect evil enemies) or Piercing. The base Eldritch Blast scales with 125% spell power, but different shape or essences can change this percentage.
- Pact Choice: Choose between Fey, Fiend, Great Old One, Celestial, Abyss or Carceri Storm; this will affect what alignment you can be, your save bonus, extra spells, special abilities, and extra damage for your Eldritch Blast (see Pact Choices table below).
- Deceive Item: UMD +5; increases to +10 at Level 13.
- Pact Damage: +1d6 extra damage to your Eldritch Blast based on your pact (see below); this will increase by +1d6 every even Warlock levels, for a total of 10d6 at level 20.
- 1st-level Pact Spell: Receive a bonus 1st-level spell in your spellbook based on your pact (see below); this is in addition to the spells you can already learn, and cannot be changed (similar to the spontaneous casting of healing spells by clerics and repair spells by artificers).
- Pact Save Bonus: +1 to a save based on your pact (see below); increases by +1 at Warlock levels 8, 12, 16, and 20.
- 2nd-level Pact Spell.
- Special Ability: Gain a special ability based on your pact (see below).
- 3rd-level Pact Spell.
- Paragon's Aegis: +5 MRR; increases by +5 at Warlock Levels 14, 16, 18, and 20.
- 4th-level Pact Spell.
- Special Ability: Gain a second special ability based on your pact (see below).
- 5th-level Pact Spell.
- 6th-level Pact Spell.
Every Warlock chooses one of the six Pacts at character creation: Fey, Fiend, Great Old One, Celestial, Abyss or Carceri Storm. This defines the source of the Warlock's power and determines several variables for the Warlock's development. The choice is permanent. As of Update 36 Patch 3, Pacts have been made a type of Bond, meaning that they cannot be active at the same time as an Aasimar's bond or the Half-Elf's Warlock Dilettante ability.
|Variable||Acquired at Level||Fey||Fiend||Great Old One||Celestial||Abyss||Carceri Storm|
|Alignment Restriction||(character creation)||None||not be Good||not be Lawful||not be Chaotic||not be Good||None|
|+1d6 every even level
(= total 10d6 at Lvl 20)
|Pact Damage Save*||-||Reflex||Fortitude||Will||Reflex||Fortitude||Will|
|Pact Save Bonus||+1 at 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20
(= total +5 at Lvl 20)
("Bulwark of the Storm")
|1st-level Spell||Level 2||Obscuring Mist||Command||Entangle||Bless||Mage Armor||Merfolk's Blessing|
|2nd-level Spell||Level 5||Blindness||Rage||Knock||Soundburst||Spawn Screen||Gust of Wind|
|First Special Ability||Level 6||Dark Delirium: (Daze Monster:
10% chance damage breaks;
no save; works on orange-named)
|Dark One's Luck:
(+2 to all saves)
+5 PRR and +1 to all Saves
+5 PRR and +5 MRR
+10% Cold Absorption
|3rd-level Spell||Level 9||Slow||Fire Shield||Phantasmal Killer||Magic Circle Against Evil||Halt Undead||Creeping Cold|
|4th-level Spell||Level 14||Greater Dispel Magic||Binding Chain||Dominate Person||Prayer||Death Aura||Ice Storm|
|Second Special Ability||Level 15||Misty EscapeAbundant Step-like ability||Hurl through Hell1Single-target save-or-die||Create Thrall²Charm Monster variant||AmeliorateAttempt to obliterate an Undead, or severely weaken any non-Undead foe. Undead must succeed on a Will save vs DC (15 + Warlock level + Charisma mod) or be destroyed. Undead who make this save, or enemies who are not undead, instead are terrorized and have their Magical Resistance Rating reduced by 10 for 6 seconds.||Channel the AbyssChannel the Abyss: Shroud yourself in the Abyss, which will grant you unholy power at a cost. You gain +2 Charisma, +10 Negative Healing Amplification, and +10 Negative Spell Power. You have +100% critical hit resistance, are healed by Negative Energy, take 50% healing from Positive Energy, and take double damage from Light. You are considered Undead rather than your original type for the purposes of most effects.||Absolute ZeroAttempt to lock a single enemy in ice permanently. Enemies must succeed on a Will save vs DC (15 + Warlock level + Charisma Mod) or be forever trapped in solid ice. Enemies made of fire will instead be destroyed with no save. Does not affect bosses.|
|5th-level Spell||Level 17||Otto's Sphere of Dancing||Power Word: Blind||Mass Suggestion||Holy Aura||Symbol of Pain||Niac's Biting Cold|
|6th-level Spell||Level 19||Otto's Irresistible Dance||Howl of Terror||Power Word: Kill||Freedom of Movement||Rend the Soul||Greater Creeping Cold|
- * This is the Saving Throw that a target must make to reduce the Pact (elemental) damage; it does not reduce the basic "Eldritch Blast" damage.
- Note that with Reflex saves, targets with Evasion can save for no Pact Damage, but the Eldritch Blast damage remains unchanged.
- 1: Hurl through Hell does not work on bosses, and may not be relevant at all in a boss fight, though is a powerful single-target "insta-kill".
- ²: Create Thrall does not work on bosses, may not be relevant at all in a boss fight, and is a single-target "charm" which is quite often not liked by some party members in non-reaper difficulties. However it has a higher than normal DC and is very effective in Reaper at turning champions into player friendly wrecking balls.
- A warlock casts warlock spells, which are drawn from the Warlock spell list.
- A Warlock must choose and prepare their spells in advance (see below).
- To prepare or cast a spell, a warlock must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a warlock's spell is 10 + the spell level + the warlock's Charisma modifier.
- Like other spellcasters, a warlock can prepare only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day.
- Their base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Warlock.
- The Arcane Spell Failure from light armor (but not shields) is ignored by Warlocks when casting Warlock spells. The Enlightened Spirit Tier IV enhancement extends this benefit to medium armor.
- See also spell usefulness.
- Official Warlock forum
- Warlocks! - Official Forum Discussion
- Warlock in PnP
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO library > Classes
Root > DDO library > Classes > Classes by type > Spell Caster classes
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums