Litany of the Dead
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 4|
|Litany of the Dead|
|Takes place in:||Black Mausoleum (Upper Necropolis)|
|Bestowed by:||Sir Rohine Stiedra|
|NPC contact:||Sir Rohine Stiedra|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Black Abbot awaits his rise to godhood and only you can stop his ascension.
The entrance for this quest is located in the Upper Necropolis, NW of Sir Rohine's position. On your map, hover-text for the quest entrace will be "The Black Mausoleum". Be aware, the quest entrance will not flash (as quests normally do) if you have it selected in your Quest Journal.
This pre-raid requires per-character flagging to enter unlike most quests. To flag run these 4 quests:
You must gather 8 pieces of the Sigil Frame through these quests to gain access to this pre-raid: Litany of the Dead.
- Right Wing (1) drops at Desecrated Temple of Vol.
- Left Wing (2) drops at Flesh Maker's Laboratory.
- Right Frame (3) drops at Inferno of the Damned.
- Left Frame (4) drops at Ghosts of Perdition.
- Left Pincer (5), Center Frame (6), Eye of the Abbot (7) and Right Pincer (8) can drop from all 4.
- As of Update 13, any chest in the Orchard can also drop any Sigil pieces (In addition to Tome of Untold Legends and Shield Fragments), though the above locations are much more likely to drop said specific pieces.
Once you've completed a Sigil, talking to Rohine will give you a new item (Completed Sigil) that will allow you to enter Litany of the Dead on subsequent lives. You do not need to collect more than 1 Completed Sigil. The numbers are the positions of the piece in Sigil: Frame (left to right).
- Find the Black Abbot's Guardian
- Survive the ambush
- Descend the shaft
- Convince the Black Dragon to help you
Optionals depend on which path you are following, and are only available for that one boss (in bold):
- (Optional) Find the High Priest — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire the Bat Crests — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Reach the door — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Open the Path of Vol — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat the High Priest — Bonus (30%): Heroic
- (Optional) Find Cholthulzz — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Pass the Twists of Azure — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Open the Frigid Halls — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Access the Path of Ice — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat Cholthulzz — Bonus (30%): Heroic
- (Optional) Find Cinnis — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Ignite the Inferno — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Open the Ignition Chamber — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat Cinnis — Bonus (30%): Heroic
- (Optional) Find Mentau — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Acquire the key — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Reach the door — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Open the path forward — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat Mentau — Bonus (30%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Various lock-outs for latecomers
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable, and don't require rogue skills to be disarmed)
- Collapsible floors
- Points of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest items (mandatory: 4 crests in the east wing)
- Spinning blades in first narrow hall, the trap plates are clearly visible on floor without Search, no trap control panel. (see Tips, below)
- Force traps, multiple in a row during a drop downwards to dragon, no trap Control Panel(s) (see Tips, below)
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs:
- All: Acid (vs. Acid Fog), ghost touch weapons, undead bane weapons
- vs. High Priest: Silver weapons and/or Light damage (vs. vampires)
- vs. Cholthulzz: Protection from cold, fire attacks (vs. Ice Mephits), cold iron weapons (vs. Ice Flensers), acid or force damage for Cholthulzz, and as for beholders
- vs. Cinnis: Protection from Fire, cold attacks
- Throughout, expect various monsters to spawn just behind you or as you pass, especially incorporeal undead.
- For the blade trap in the first hall, there is a path through them of inactive plates (which changes randomly each instance). There is a "target lever" just beyond them that can be ranged, which will activate the traps (only) once, and for just a moment - if you are quick you can see the path, or at least spot some inactive plates in the middle to jump to. Otherwise, it requires someone to step on an active plate to re-activate the trap and show the inactive plates again.
- The "treasures of the lich"... are all empty, and a trap. However, you must open one to proceed. This will do two things: 1) drop you and the party around you into an ambush, and 2) lock other characters out with a black forcefield. All aboard for the fight. Note: The forcefield will come down again once the ambush is over or if the lever resets. The lever will reset if no player is standing on the floor for too long, but you can still use invisibility and such to hide from the monsters, just be careful as the Quells, Reapers or certain champions have True Seeing.
- Traps on each level activate a moment after you drop in front of them, so moving quickly is better. Each drop is onto a landing with a short move to the next drop - keep moving, keep ahead of the traps triggering.
- No fall is a long one, so remove any Feather Fall effect to drop more quickly.
- Since these traps activate a short time after a player lands in front of them, either go all together and stay together, or (easier?) go individually and separated by some time, so traps reset.
- Remember to park hires and then call them once you are down, and past the spikes - they're almost 100% guaranteed to die in this one.
- Spike trap at bottom, but middle is clear. Land on sides (to delay the next drop) or aim for safe middle of the pit (which will then collapse after a short time (~15 seconds) for another short fall).
- When the floor of the spike pit cracks, those standing there will dropdown into the dragon cage, and the forcefield near ambush will be put back up again, so people can't continue in after this - don't be late.
- For dragon riddle, see this article. ← Spoiler!!
- When the riddle is finished, the cage will open to let you through and then close again. If anyone is left behind, they won't be able to follow.
- If you have run this quest before, on the table in the room below the dragon will be one or more items that are possibly useful in defeating the next boss, and which create a recommended order for defeating the bosses. See the walk-through for a full discussion.
- On completion of each side you must continue through the door past the end-chest and destroy the crystals in the tower you are teleported to, to gain flagging status for the Ascension Chamber raid. As long as you go through the door and the crystals on the other side are smashed, you will get the flagging. Someone else smashing them before you even go through won't mess with the flagging.
- For a Walk-through, see this article. Note that there is a recommended order for pursuing the 4 different bosses (only one of which can be fought on any run of the quest) - that article discusses this as well.
- Devious bonus: ~57 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: ~81 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Chests: Total 3 per run (only 1 path is open per run)
- NPC rewards: None
Named Chest Drop
Accessories are ML13, weapons and armor are ML14. All .
- Belt of Tongue - Belt: , Enchantment Saves +6
- Eye of the Beholder - Ring: — 8 Charges (Recharged/Day:8),
- Lenses of Doom - Goggles: Exclusive, — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), ,
High Priest of Vol chest
- Banner Cloak - Cloak: ,
- Fanged Gloves - Gloves: , ,
- Ring of the High Priest - Ring: , — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3),
Drops from multiple end chests
- Ash Boots - Boots: , (Cinnis, High Priest)
- Axe of the Unseen Blow - : , , (Cholthulzz, Mentau)
- Breastplate of Vol - +5 Breastplate: , , (Mentau, High Priest)
- Docent of Quickening - +5 Docent: , , , (Cinnis, Mentau, High Priest)
- Dragon Sword of Acid - : , , (High Priest, Cholthulzz, Mentau)
- Robe of the Magi - Robe: , , , (Cholthulzz, Mentau, High Priest)
- Shining Devastation - : , Everbright, , (All bosses)