Type: Undead (List)
Race: Beholder (List)
Sub-race: Doomsphere (List)
Monster Manual classification: Beholder
Alignment: Lawful Good
Boss: Red Named - Quest Boss
CR: ♦20Normal ♥23Hard ♠26Elite
Attack: Bite (Slash), 11 different eye beam attacks. Many of these are the same as a standard Beholder, but some are different such as
- Boneshatter - Deals some damage and lowers your movement speed by 50%
- Fleshsear - Continuously deals untyped damage over time for a long duration
Special Qualities: See Invisibility. Incorporeal. Undead Traits. Very high resistance to Fire. Immune to Lightning and Cold. No resistance to acid or force.
Description: Cholthulzz is one of the four guardians of the Black Abbot. He is first encountered in Ghosts of Perdition then later in Litany of the Dead.
He is accessed from the dragons chamber in Litany of the Dead by answering the questions as follows:
- Silver Flame. (Good)
- Never. He is a scourge on Xen'drik and he must be stopped. (Good)
- If something has heat it should be left as it is and Cinnis should deal with his hatred internally. (Good)
- I would have done anything to save my daughter. (Good)
- Destroy it once and for all. (Good)
- He and his creations are abominations. (Lawful)
- Stayed faithful to the Lady, knowing she would be my salvation. (Lawful)
- The same. A contract is binding and I would have followed the conditions. (Lawful)
- I would follow the orders I was given. (Lawful)
- He deserved to die for betraying his faith and oath to Vol. (Lawful)
- The Crusader. (Lawful Good)
- They lack honor and compassion. (Lawful Good)
- Gold or silver. (Lawful Good)
- Engage the adventurers in a battle of wits and if they win let them pass. (Lawful Good)?
- Cholthulzz the Doomsphere.
Defeating Cholthulzz can be made easier with the assistance of Eye of Vol, which is obtained from the workbench in the black dragon's chamber in Litany of the Dead after you have successfully defeated High Priest of Vol.
Unique loot for defeating Cholthulzz:
- Belt of Tongue - Belt: Spell Resistance +19 Spell Resistance +19: +19 Enhancement bonus to Spell Resistance., Enchantment Save +6 Enchantment Save +6: +6 Enhancement bonus to your saves versus enchantments
- Eye of the Beholder - Ring: Absorb Doomsphere SpellsAbsorb Doomsphere Spells
Caster level: N/A
Charges: 8 (8/day) — 8 Charges (Recharged/Day:8), DeathblockDeathblock: The wearer of this item is immune to all death spells and magical death effects.
- Lenses of Doom - Goggles: Exclusive, BoneshatterBoneshatter
Caster level: 14
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Search +11Search +11: Passive: +11 Competence bonus to the Search skill., Spot +11Spot +11: Passive: +11 Competence bonus to the Spot skill.
- Axe of the Unseen Blow - +5 Handaxe+5 Handaxe: (1d6+5 20/x3): A smaller version of a Battleaxe.: FinesseFinesse: This weapon has a Small air elemental bound to it. The wielder can use a finesse weapon as if he had the Weapon Finesse feat. In addition, the weapon grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the wielder's Dexterity score., True ChaosTrue Chaos: This weapon is infused with the power of True Chaos. It does an additional 1 to 6 damage to non-chaotic targets and can only be wielded by Chaotic-aligned characters. (Also drops for Mentau) [ML:14]
- Dragon Sword of Acid - +5 Longsword+5 Longsword: (1d8+5 19-20/x2): A classic straight-bladed sword usable in one hand. This weapon is commonly associated with knighthood and valor.: Acid BurstAcid Burst: This weapon is sheathed in corrosive acid, and does 1 to 6 acid damage each hit. Critical hits deal an additional 1 to 10 acid damage for weapons with a x2 critical multiplier, 2 to 20 for a x3 multiplier and 3 to 30 for a x4 multiplier., Dragon BaneDragon Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Dragons, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2 to 12 points of damage against the foe. (Also drops for High Priest, Mentau) [ML:14]
- Robe of the Magi - Robe: Armor Bonus +5, Spell Resistance +19 Spell Resistance +19: +19 Enhancement bonus to Spell Resistance., Spell Penetration II Spell Penetration II: Passive: +2 Equipment bonus to Spell Penetration checks. (Also drops for High Priest, Mentau) [ML:12]
- Shining Devastation - +5 Greatclub+5 Greatclub: (1d10+5 20/x2): A more formidable version of a simple club, this two-handed weapon is occasionally reinforced with spikes or bands of iron.: AdamantineAdamantine: Adamantine weapons may bypass the damage reduction of certain items and creatures., EverbrightEverbright: Flecks of marble and pearl shimmer across this shield, set within images of bursting stars and beaming suns. An everbright shield will never take damage from rust or acid and can emit a Blinding Flash 3/rest., ForceForce: This weapon is humming with magical force. It deals an additional 1 to 6 force damage on a successful hit. (Drops for all bosses) [ML:14]
Completing the Cholthulzz wing of Litany of the Dead makes the Urthullz Petrified Stalk Trinket available for use in defeating Cinnis on the work table in the black dragon's chamber.