Inferno of the Damned
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 4|
|Inferno of the Damned|
|Epic XP:||See Inferno of the Damned (epic)|
|Takes place in:||Inferno of the Damned|
|Bestowed by:||Lineya Ibane|
|NPC contact:||Lineya Ibane|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Lineya has heard of an abandoned temple in the heavily forested Northeast region of the Orchard of the Macabre. Several cultists of the Black Abbot were spotted entering the ruins, and Lineya is curious as to what its importance is. She would like you to scout it out and return with a report of what you found.
This dungeon takes place in Eberron and in a near mirror of itself - the Inferno of the Damned. The Inferno is a hell-type realm filled with undead analogues of the monsters found on the Eberron side.
- Explore the Inferno of the Damned
- Find the North Flame Guardian
- Light the North torches
- Defeat the North Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the North Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the North flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the North Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the East Flame Guardian
- Light the East torches
- Defeat the East Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the East Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the East Torches
- (Inferno) Defeat the East Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the South Flame Guardian
- Light the South torches
- Defeat the South Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the South Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the South flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the South Flame Cinderspawn
- Find the West Flame Guardian
- Light the West flames
- Defeat the West Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Find the West Flame Guardian
- (Inferno) Extinguish the West flames
- (Inferno) Defeat the West Flame Cinderspawn
- (Inferno) Return to the central chamber
- (Inferno) Defeat Cinnis
What to Expect
- Traps (random, some undisarmable)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- All in random hallways
Tips and Misc
A few things to know before you get started:
- In order to light (in Eberron) and extinguish (in the Inferno) the torches in this quest, you will need access to fire and cold effects
- Flame Turret, Fireball, Flaming Sphere, Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Burst of Glacial Wrath, Flame Strike, Faerie Fire, Sun Flasks, and Rune Arms with Exploding Cannon Shot (e.g. Strinati's Hand Cannon) or Corrupted Exploding Fire Shot work
- Ray type spells such as Scorching Ray and Niac's Cold Ray do not work; Flaming Bolt and Freezing Bolt do not work; Wall of Fire will not work for lighting torches; Winter's Wrath wand does not work to extinguish torches
- It is possible to kite the fire (Eberron) and air mephits (Inferno) from nearby portals to light (Eberron) and extinguish (Inferno) torches with their spell attacks, but it takes careful positioning
- Jumping onto a torch and standing on it after you pull a mephit into the torch room will normally work, or, if your jump isn't high enough, keeping the torch between yourself and the mephit
- For the last two sets of torches on the Inferno side, air mephits can be attracted through the flame barrier from the nearby portals and kited to the torches
- Enemy spellcasters near some torches can be used in the same way as mephits, but they are not available at all locations
- Breaking a portal will teleport everyone near it to the other side
- Everything you kill on the Eberron side will have its spirit travel into the Inferno side, where you will need to face its undead counterpart, including the orange-named fire elementals who become orange-named cinderspawn (the big blue creatures)
- Although the cinderspawn don't look like other undead, they have the Undead type and disruption weapons deal extra damage against them
- When killing an Acolyte of Flame in Eberron (a red-robed human, but not the only red-robe in the room), he will take you with him to the other side in the Inferno (he becomes an arcane skeleton Acolyte of Flame)
- You must strategically kill Acolytes in Eberron, to place you in specific places in the Inferno, in order to get the chests, key and rest shrines
- Other enemies in the room with the human Acolyte, if left alive when you kill the Acolyte, will add to dungeon alert even though they cannot be seen or interacted with
- There are many randomized traps in this dungeon, so a rogue is definitely a benefit here.
- The quest will be easier and faster if someone can cast Flesh to Stone (or some other immobilising CC spell)
- One cast of Dimension Door will speed access to the locked chest after the end fight
- Upon entering the dungeon, it is advised to have resistance to fire on everyone and cold on the melees. Acid and Lightning are beneficial as well.
- Death Ward is helpful throughout, but important in the end fight against Cinnis
This walkthrough will guide you through one of the most efficient routes through The Inferno of the Damned. An alternative method for parties that do not have Dimension Door, but want to access the extra chest, is provided below the full walkthrough.
The walkthrough follows the numbering on the Third Map above i.e. When you enter you will need to go to #1 on the Eberron map (blue background); After transferring to the Inferno side, refer to the Inferno map (red background) and follow the paths to #2. Green paths indicate you will be moving from the Inferno to Eberron or vice versa, white paths indicate a pathway within a given plane.
- The party enters the quest in Eberron. Head west from the central chamber then take the first turning to the left towards #1. On reaching a closed gate, there are priests praying at an altar on the far side. Gather the whole party by the gate and wait until the prayers stop - the party will then gain the attention of the priests, who will stand up and move to attack, opening the door to get to the party. Move inside the room and fight inside it (fighting outside the room prevents the party from accessing a chest later in the quest). Identify the Acolyte of Flame - everyone needs to be standing near him when he dies, to ensure they are transferred to the Inferno side together. This can be achieved by casting Flesh to Stone (or another form of immobilising crowd control) on him, getting everyone to move in close, then killing him. Killing the Acolyte transfers everyone nearby to the Inferno side, inside a room with a locked chest (which can be left for now, as it requires a key that will be found later). The gate can be opened from inside the room.
- Leave the room and take a left past the first blue Portal of Benediction. If someone was not transferred when the Acolyte was killed, this portal can be used to allow them to rejoin the rest of the party on the Inferno side. Continue to the far south at #2. There is another blue portal here; Destroy it to transfer to Eberron.
- Follow the path north and east, until reaching the Torch Room at #3. Light the torches (using fire/mephits as described above) and defeat the summoned flame guardian.
- Backtrack to #4. Destroy the red Portal of Damnation to transfer to the Inferno.
- Head north, then turn west, following the path past the portal and the treasure room, to reach an area that drops to a lower level. Drop down and bypass the torches (they are not ready to be extinguished yet), heading north to #5. Use the blue portal to travel back to Eberron.
- Head south to #6 and light the torches. Defeat the flame guardian.
- Backtrack north to #7. Destroy the red portal to travel to the Inferno.
- Backtrack south (again) to the blue torches at #8. Extinguish the torches (using ice/cold/mephits as described above) and defeat the cinderspawn (an undead elemental).
- Backtrack north (again) to #9. Destroy the blue portal.
- Travel east, bypass the red portal and head north to #10. This room contains a Resurrection Shrine and an Acolyte of Flame. Use the same tactics as at #1 (above). If noone is close enough to be transferred to the Inferno with the Acolyte, the portal to the south can be used to switch to Inferno side and the lever can be used through the bars to open up the gate. On the Inferno side, the room contains a Rest Shrine. Clear the room, loot the chest, shrine up and reset buffs as required
- Head south, past the blue portal then continue east staying to the left to reach another drop point. Drop down and locate the secret door on the North Wall (Search, true seeing etc.), to access the room at #11. Break the blue portal.
- Open the door and head south to light the torches at #12. Defeat the flame guardian.
- Backtrack north to #13 and break the red portal.
- Backtrack south to #14 and extinguish the torches. Defeat the cinderspawn.
- Climb up the blocks and travel southeast to #15. Break the blue portal.
- Clear out the room, being careful not to break the red portal at this point. Once the room is clear, gather the party by the gate on the west. From by the gate, use ranged weapons and/or spells to destroy the red portal: This will not transfer the party to the Inferno, but will get the attention of the enemies behind the gate. When the gate opens, go through the gate and fight on the West side of it, on the path up to #16. There is another Acolyte in this room (same tactics as at #1 and #10). There is a key on the Inferno side for the chest at #1 - Pick it up and move on (n.b. If the person carrying the key dies, it will drop to the floor - Pick it up if this happens to avoid a long search later). The gate can be opened from inside the room.
- Travel east past the blue portal and move to the south towards #17. There is a blue portal at the end of the hall - break it.
- Go northwest to the torch room at #18. Light the torches. Defeat the flame guardian.
- Travel south until you reach a room with a Resurrection Shrine at #19. There is another Acolyte in this room (same tactics as at #1, #10 and #16). There is a Rest Shrine on the Inferno side (shrine and rebuff as required). The gate to the north-east can be opened from inside the room. Any of the party who were not transported to the Inferno when the Acolyte died can travel north-east to the nearest red portal to transfer, then head back to the Shrine Room.
- Head north-west from the Shrine Room. Loot the chest, then drop down to #20. Extinguish the torches. Defeat the cinderspawn.
- Head north to the central chamber then east to #21. Extinguish the torches. Defeat the cinderspawn. This is the last guardian and it will allow Cinnis, the end boss to spawn.
- Backtrack to the central chamber at #22. Cinnis the Cinderspawn will climb up from the ground. Defeat him (cold does extra damage, heal spells work nicely, fire heals him fast) and loot the end chest, but do not recall yet.
- If you have Dimension Door, use it to return to the entrance (Eberron side). Travel west and south-west, to the red Portal at #23, then break it.
If you do not have Dimension Door, head north then go right (north-east) at the split. Drop down and continue east until reaching the blue portal at #15 (next to where the key was picked up). Break the portal to head back to Eberron, then travel back to the central chamber. Travel west and south-west, to the red Portal at #23, then break it.
- Travel north-east to the treasure room at #24 and use the key (from #16) to loot chest at. This chest is where Shield Fragments have a chance to drop.
Congratulations, the quest is now complete! Head back to the Necropolis to turn in and collect the end reward.
Alternative Method for Parties without Dimension Door
- Instead of heading West to #1, start by heading north, then north-east, then south-east to the red portal near #16. Destroy the portal as described in Step 16 above, and go through the door. Kill the Acolyte of Flame (as described in Step 1 and Step 16 above). After transfer to the Inferno side, pick up the key and open the gate.
- Break the blue portal at #15 to get back to Eberron
- Backtrack from the portal north-west, south-west then south to return to the central chamber
- Follow the walkthrough above from Step 1 onwards, with the following differences:
- The chest in Step 1 can be opened, as the key has already been located.
- Steps 15 and 16 can be bypassed as they have already been completed. Proceed directly to Step 17.
- Steps 23 and 24 can be omitted as the chest has already been accessed.
- Aggression bonus: 63 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 81 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 103 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 52 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 68 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 84 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4 Total:
- 3 chests on the Inferno side
- 1 chest on the Inferno side that can be opened by key only (Contains chance at shield fragments)
- Collectables: 7
- Eberron Side
- Crude Altar in the west Acolyte's room
- Rubble at the end of the passage beyond the west Acolyte's room
- Crude Altar in the north Acolyte's room
- Inferno Side
- Rubble by the north portal
- Adventurer's Pack at the end of the corridor south of the East Torches
- Eberron Side
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
||12||Inferno of the Damned, End Chest|
||12||Inferno of the Damned, End Chest|
||Maul of Malice||Maul||
||12||Inferno of the Damned, End chest|
||12||Inferno of the Damned, End Chest|
||Chord of Reprisals||Belt||
||13||Inferno of the Damned, End Chest|
||Glimpse of the Soul||Goggles||
||13||Inferno of the Damned, End Chest|