|Update 23 Armor Up changes|
Spell power rating determines how much damage you deal with spells. In most cases, each point of spell power increase increases the base damage of your spell by 1%. Various effects can contribute to your spell power, all effects are added together.
Spell power was introduced in Update 14 and replaced previous spell damage amplification that involved addition and multiplication.
Spell power applies only to spells that cause hit point damage and spells that heal hit points.
Spell power affects Spells and SLAs, but does not affect magical damage effects on weapons from augments, filigrees, crafted enchantments etc. unless the description specifically indicates that it does
- e.g. +1d6 Light Damage per hit from a crafted Coruscating effect is +1d6 at 0 Light spell power and still +1d6 at 100 Light spell power
Spellpower can apply to most Imbue effects on weapons.
Spellpower only affects your own spells or SLAs, it does not affect spells that you cast from scrolls, wands, clickies, etc.
Sources of spell power
- Fully stacking. It flat adds to all of your other Spell Powers; in the summary screen popup (demonstrated in the image to the upper right) the Spell Powers you see for specific elements are the final value after your Universal Spell Power has been added to all of your other enhancements to that power type.
Class and racial enhancements
- Everything fully stacks
(spell power increases from metamagic feats stack)
Standard magic items
- Equipment bonus from items with enchantments like Potency or Combustion. The item enchantment name corresponds to the type of spells the spell power applies to. The equipment bonus on randomly generated loot increases on higher level equipment. (See Thaumaturgy for an overview table.)
- Insight bonus from Dethek Runestone or Libram of Silver Magic; since Update 29 often also on random loot
- Quality bonus on named items
- Implement bonus from caster weapons (equal to weapon ML for newer weapons; equal to 3 * enhancement bonus of the weapon for older weapons)
- As of Update 58 the highest possible Implement bonus is +31. However, a +62 Implement bonus is achievable with the Draconic Incarnation tier 2 enhancement Conduit, although this requires the wielder be specifically using a Quarterstaff.
- For older weapons, effects that increase the enhancement bonus also increase the implement bonus, e.g. Artificer Enchant Weapons or Druid Magic Fang.
- Alchemical bonus from clickies and potions, e.g. Inferno. The item enchantment name corresponds to the type of spells the spell power applies to.
- Artifact bonus from Draconic Mind set bonus
- Psionic bonus from Meridian Fragment, Xachosian Eardweller, or Planar Conflux set bonus
- Mythic bonus: Mythic Boost items
- Reaper bonus: Reaper Power Boost +3
Epic Destiny bonuses
- Bonuses from Epic Destinies (e.g. Dragon Heritage) usually stack with everything else.
- Heal increases your Positive and Negative spell power
- Perform increases your Sonic spell power
- Repair increases your Repair and Rust spell power
- Spellcraft affects everything else
- Action Boost: Spell Power Boost
- Action Boost: Skills
- Wellspring of Power
- Reaper's Power memento: +45 Profane bonus
- Tainted Spellcasting: +25 Spellpower
Affected damage types
|Continuous name||Temporary name||Affects|
|Devotion||Ardor||Positive (Healing) Spells|
|Impulse||Impact||Force, Physical (Piercing, Slashing, Bludgeoning), and Untyped Spells|
|Nullification||Nihil||Negative Energy Spells and Poison spells|
|Potency||Efficacy||All Spells (tends to be a smaller value at similar levels)|
|Radiance||Brilliance||Light and Alignment (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) Spells|
|Reconstruction||Mending||Repair Spells and Rust Spells|
Some spells receive limited (usually half) benefit from spell power:
- Heal: 50%
- Mass Heal: 50%
Necrotic Touch (Pale Master): 50% Necrotic Bolt (Pale Master): 50% Necrotic Blast (Pale Master): 50% Summon Archon (Favored Soul): 50%unnerfed in Update 39 All Runearm Shots: Between 50% and 80%unnerfed in Update 36
|Originally Posted by (former developer) |