Magical Resistance Rating
|Update 23 Armor Up changes|
Magical Resistance Rating (abbreviated MRR) is a form of damage mitigation was that introduced with Update 23.
It provides a percentage reduction in damage from acid, sonic, fire, electric, cold, alignment, light, positive, negative, poison, and rust. MRR is granted through multiple sources (items, feats, enhancements) and stacks with itself. Multiple effects granting an Enhancement bonus to Magical Resistance do not stack. Character sheets show the Magical Resistance Rating of the player next to the elemental resistances.
MRR is applied after resistances. MRR is applied to the damage that passes through the resistance and this is always rounded down. As such if a player would take 20 damage before resists or MRR was applied and had 10 resistance and 60 MRR (37.5% reduction), the result is:
- (20 - 10) * 37.5% = 3.75 round down to 3
- 3 damage will be resisted.
MRR and % reduction
Example: A character is hit for 100 points of damage.
- 0 MRR takes full damage, 100 points.
- 20 MRR takes 16.67% less damage, 83 points.
- 100 MRR takes 50% less damage, 50 points.
Different armor types can apply a cap for Magical Resistance Rating (U23):
- Robes, Outfit, or empty armor slot: 50
- Light Armor: 100
- Medium Armor: No cap
- Heavy Armor: No cap
Heavy and tower shields also prevent you from using Evasion.
Increasing MRR cap
Few rare effects exist that allow your character to increase the MRR cap restriction imposed by your armor.
- Beacon of Magic item sets: +10 heroic / +20 legendary for three piece item set
- Frozen Wanderer: +10 for three piece filigree set
- Nystul's Mystical Defense: +40 for five piece filigree set
Sources of MRR
- Scion of Elysium +25 for summons / hirelings
- Scion of Limbo +30 situationally
- Scion of the Plane of Fire +10
- Scion of the Plane of Water +20
- Magical Resistance Rating offered by armor: None!
(bonuses removed in Update 28 Patch 1)
- Magical Resistance Rating offered by shield type (proficiency not needed)(Stacks with the Sheltering enhancement):
- Enhancement bonus: see Sheltering items
- Insight bonus
- Quality bonus
- Mythic bonus: Mythic Boost items (armor, shields, boots, cloaks, headgear / necklaces / bracers)
- Luck bonus: Unbreakable Adamancy set bonus
- Artifact bonus
Characters proficient with shields can also use the larger shields for defense against magical attacks that would normally require a Reflex saving throw. In addition to using your Reflex saving throw to mitigate the damage you can deflect the damage off your shield. This is represented by increasing your Physical and Magical Resist Ratings against those types of attacks when using a shield.
- You gain this additional mitigation whether you make your Reflex saving throw or not.
- You don't have to be actively blocking to gain this benefit.
Physical and Magical Resist Rating multiplier against magical attacks that normally allow a Reflex saving throw.
- Buckler: 1.0 (no additional mitigation)
- Light Shield: 1.0 (no additional mitigation)
- Heavy Shield: 2.0 (no evasion)
- Tower Shield: 2.0 (no evasion)
- Entropic Ward +5 MRR. Warlock 6, Great Old One pact.
- Paragon's Aegis +5 MRR. Warlocks receive it 5 times, at levels 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20, for a total of +25 MRR.
- Cores: 2+2+2
- Shape Vestments: +5 in Light Armor, +10 in Medium Armor
- Resilience of Soul: up to +6
- Spiritual Ward: up to +13
- Fortify Summons: up to +20 for summons / hirelings
- Cores: +5/+5/+10 at levels 12/18/20
- Parrying Bond: +1/2/3 while Weapon Bond 10+
- Guarding Bond: +4/8/12 while Weapon Bond 30+/60+/90+
- One Spirit: +4/8/12
- Cores: +5/+5/+10 at levels 12/18/20
- Sacred Stance: up to +25
- Harbored By Light: up to +25
- Stalwart Stance: up to +25
- Capstone: +10 passive and +50 active action boost
- Cores: 2+1+1+1+1+1
- Dervish: +10
- Improved Defense: +3
Monsters with MRR
- Armor Up Developer Diary threads: , , .