Material components are one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. In DDO, all the spells of the same level and class which require a material component use the same item. Those items are sold by reagent vendors around Stormreach. They stack together up to 1000, so a typical spellcaster will keep hundreds of components at hand for each of the spell levels he can cast.
Some spells require special or different components, they are;
- Create Undead requires a Black Onyx †
- Death Pact requires a Large Diamond †
- Flame Arrow requires a regular arrow
- Reincarnate requires a Porcupine Quill
- Stoneskin requires Granite and Diamond Dust (10 for 250pp)
- Tenser's Transformation requires a Potion of Bull's Strength
- Trap the Soul requires Khyber Dragonshards
† This is a purchased component, not a randomly-occurring gem.
Casting without components
- Eschew Materials is a metamagic feat which allows you to cast without the normal material components. It does not cover special components. Spells cost an extra 2 spell points to cast.
- Harper Agent enhancements offer a tier 4 ability that grants similar effect to Eschew Materials, but without extra spell point cost.
- Fatesinger: You may expend a Song to activate Harmonic Resonance. If you do so, your voice thrums with magic, and you no longer require material components to cast spells.
- DDO Store offers universal material components; Omnispell Dust and Omnispell Stone.
Overview of components
|Spell Level||Paladin||Ranger||Base Cost (per 10)|
|1||Powdered Silver||Chameleon Tail||5gp|
|2||Eagle Feather||Cat Hair||1pp|
|3||Phial of Holy Water||Unicorn Tail Hair||3pp|
|4||Consecrated Gem Dust||Nymph Tear||10pp|