Material components are one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. In DDO, all the spells of the same level and class which require a material component use the same item. Those items are sold by reagent vendors around Stormreach. They stack together up to 1000, so a typical spellcaster will keep hundreds of components at hand for each of the spell levels he can cast.
Some spells require special or different components, they are;
- Create Undead requires a Black Onyx †
- Death Pact requires a Large Diamond †
- Flame Arrow requires a regular or masterwork arrow, bolt, dart, etc. as appropriate.
- Stoneskin requires Pouch of Granite and Diamond Dust
- Tenser's Transformation requires a Potion of Bull's Strength
- Trap the Soul requires Khyber Dragonshards
† This is a purchased component, not a randomly-occurring gem.
Casting without components
- Eschew Materials is a metamagic feat which allows you to cast without the normal material components. It does not cover special components. Spells cost an extra 2 spell points to cast.
- Harper Agent enhancements offer a tier 4 ability that grants similar effect to Eschew Materials, but without extra spell point cost.
- Draconic Incarnation: Core abilities Draconic Heritage and Draconic Heritage II eliminate the need for standard components and special ones, respectively.
- Fatesinger: You may expend a Song to activate Harmonic Resonance. If you do so, your voice thrums with magic, and you no longer require material components to cast spells.
- DDO Store offers universal material components Omnispell Dust, which substitutes for all standard components; and Omnispell Stone which substitutes for most special ones.
Overview of components