Being proficient with a weapon, shield or armor means you can use it without incurring the non-proficiency penalties. Proficiencies are obtained through feats, either given at Player Character creation or during advancement.
If a Player Character is not proficient with a weapon or shield, the icon of that item will have a yellow border and an exclamation mark will be displayed on top of the icon as well.
Every class gives your Player Character proficiencies in weapon and armor usage. Weapon proficiencies are split into simple, martial, and exotic. Armor is divided into light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, and shields. If you do not have the correct proficiency then you suffer a non-proficiency penalty when using the item.
- Simple Weapon Proficiency
- Martial Weapon Proficiency (per weapon)
- Exotic Weapon Proficiency (per weapon, requires base attack bonus of +1 or higher)
- Light Armor Proficiency (all)
- Medium Armor Proficiency (all, requires Light Armor Proficiency)
- Heavy Armor Proficiency (all, requires Medium Armor Proficiency)
- General Shield Proficiency (all except Tower shields)
- Tower Shield Proficiency (requires General Shield Proficiency)
- For armor, receive partial PRR (see article for details).
- For weapons, you do not receive a +20% to hit. ( )
- Applies item's Armor Check Penalty to attack rolls if not proficient with armor or shield. (ACPs apply to skills regardless of proficiency.)
- Great Crossbows do not get the knock-down on a natural 20.
- Repeating Crossbows (light and heavy) do not "repeat" - just 1 shot/attack.
- 2-handed weapons do not produce glancing blows, nor do bastard swords or Dwarven axes.