The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
|650 Requires access to : The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar|
Rumors say treasures still await those brave enough to delve into the depths of the Haunted Halls. A classic D&D module brought to life for CR 28 adventurers; enjoy a special commentary from Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood! This Epic Level 28 quest pack includes one huge adventure and dozens of side objectives.
The original Haunted Halls of Eveningstar masterpiece by Ed Greenwood was published in 1992.
Ed Greenwood is also the co-creator of the Forgotten Realms world.
|Requires access to : The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar|
|The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar|
|Takes place in:||The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar|
|Bestowed by:||Alyn Farrago|
|NPC contact:||Alyn Farrago|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Villagers of Eveningstar tell tales of the bandit lord Rivior, whose ghost haunts the stone halls hidden in a gorge by the Starwater River.. and whose treasure may still be hidden there. Speak with Alyn Farrago in front of the Lonesome Tankard in Eveningstar, to learn more of the storied halls.
- Standard: The only mode accessible when first entering this dungeon, and the one covered for most of this page.
- This is the only mode that grants favor.
- Extended: This includes content that can't be reached in Standard mode.
- Commentary: This is Extended mode with interview commentary by Ed Greenwood at various spots.
The Extended and Commentary modes are accessible only after you finish the Standard mode at least once on that specific character. They are considered different quests for the effect of XP ransack, but are considered the same quest in terms of chest ransack. In Commentary mode the audio clips from the interview will spam and repeat for the duration of the quest making gameplay more challenging.
- Explore the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
- Find a way into the Throne Room
- (Optional) Expose the doppelganger on your first try — Bonus (15%): Epic
- (Optional) Slay Telemonia — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Find all of Rivior's Journals - 8 total — Bonus (8%): Epic
- (Optional) Find some of the Bandit Lords hidden treasure - 2 total — Bonus (5%): Epic
- (Optional) Find more of Rivio's hidden treasure - 2 more (4 total) — Bonus (7.55%): Epic
- (Optional) There must be more hidden treasure - 2 more (6 total) — Bonus (9.5%): Epic
- (Optional) Don't stop now, loot more of Rivior's hidden treasure - 2 more (8 total) — Bonus (11%): Epic
- (Optional) Rivior thought no one would find all his hidden treasure - prove him wrong - 2 more (10 total) — Bonus (15%): Epic
- (Optional) Plunder every last bit of the Bandit Lord's hidden treasure
- (Optional) Slay Pimulpekk and his priests — Bonus (15%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the statue of Miior
- (Optional) Defeat the Fallen Giant
- (Optional) Defeat the Ancient Mummy
- (Optional) Steal the egg without waking the Dragon
- (Optional) Extreme Difficulty: Slay the dragon
- (Optional) Listen to all of Ed Greenwood's commentaries
- Collapsing floors
- Moving spinning blades
- Pressure plates (lots)
- Spell Wards
- Statue traps (lightening damage)
- Rivior's Animate Object Ward
- False doors
|Estrel's dagger DC table|
The maiden has been killed recently, obviously for purposes of evil sorcery. The body has not yet begun to decay; if not for the dagger, she would appear to be asleep.
|Doppleganger finding DC table|
Normally these bronze statues channel lightning through whatever touches them. But after the overload, touching a statue might be even more dangerous. On the other hand, striking the doppleganger would only hurt it and not you. But is this a real statue or the doppleganger?
Tips and Misc
This quest is vast, consisting of many areas which you can access in almost any order. Think of this as another kind of Dr. Rushmore's Mansion. There are a lot of secret doors to find, and some of them have DC's low enough to be discovered with True Seeing, but not all, or the most important ones.
The first gate "Rusted Gate" requires a Minimum Strength value of to open (it shows the actual Minimum Strength value required on the Gate itself, if focused upon). If your character lacks the strength to open it, you can still access the dungeon by the secret doors on the left and right wall. The Secret door on the wall to the left of the gate sends you behind the gate, and can be found with True Seeing.
Part 1: Throne Room
Your first main objective would be to access the Throne Room and kill a boss there. To do that, you need to locate and place in the sockets two Crests to open the Throne Room gate.
- One Crest is found in the Doppelganger hallway.
- CAUTION to stealthy players: Do NOT attempt to pick up the Crest when first entering this room while in stealth. The game mechanic for the Doppelganger won't activate and you may make the quest uncompletable.
- Once the objective's complete there is also a pair of Boots of Grounding, which can be picked up by one person and is helpful against the optional boss Miior.
- You can find the doppelganger by examining the statues. The statue with the doppelganger has a CR rating 3 levels higher than the rest.
- One Crest is found in the Necromancer corridor.
- At this location you are presented with three doors, plus there is a Secret door to the right of these (careful not to go too far to the right as the kobolds with the giant crossbow will target you)
- Two of the three corridors are trapped; the first with a dropping floor that triggers when the door is opened, and the second with spinning blade traps and gates that slam shut at either end. To safely test the doors, jump onto the torch next to the door before opening it. Falling into the pit will kill your character.
- The 'Reinforced gates' can't be picked, but can be opened with enough Strength (30 STR required on Epic Normal, and it displays the actual STR value required on the Gate itself, if focused upon).
- The hidden doorway is the fastest route to the crest room; the crest can be seen on the map once you enter this doorway; clearing out the corridor of zombies using doorblock or rush and killzone techniques works well.
- Rushing the room with the crest, picking it up once the room is clear of necromancers then DDooring out saves you a lot of time here.
- The necromancers will keep summoning zombies. Kill all the necromancers to stop the zombies from spawning.
- Once you have both crests, place them in the sockets of the doorway in the far west corridor, kill the boss and loot the chests.
- On Standard mode, the quest completes here.
- On Extended and Commentary mode, you find out the final boss was actually one of the real boss's (Whisper) apprentices, and you must find him deeper in the halls to listen to his quest for you to retrieve a dragon egg for him.
Part 2: Optional Bosses
The doorways at the back of the Throne Room lead to 3 purple named bosses. This would be your second (optional) objective, since their chests can drop named items.
- Fallen Giant: North door
- One person should activate him by pulling the Spear (Shimmering) out while trash mobs keep spawning; be aware this takes quite some time to pull the spear.
- Drop the Skeleton to 0, use the Spear again (someone with the item in his inventory simply has to double-click the body) while he is down.
- The trash mobs are hostile towards the skeleton. Leading them into the skeleton's cleave attack may aggro them on the skeleton.
- A great tactic is for someone with AOE to kite all the trash around keeping it off of the spear puller, once the giant is up, use a DDoor to get your party out of the room, at this point all remaining trash mobs in the room aggravate the giant, return to the room and send one person in willing to die, this sets all the trash mobs on the giant. Get your party into the room and wait for him to die then put the spear back in.
- May drop Lantern Ring, Purple Dragon Shield
- Ancient Mummy: South door
- Miior: Secret door behind the throne
- No trash mob, she does massive Electric damage which increases over time (see section on lightning statues below). One person, preferably tank/aggro holder, should have the Boots of Grounding handy. Note: Boots are ML 28 to wear, and prevent the player from jumping while equipped.
- May drop Libram of Silver Magic, Necklace of Mystic Eidolons
- Easiest done with a small group. Someone with a high reflex save (64+ for EH) as a tank, a healer, and a DPS caster (caster may be exchanged as mana runs dry). Every time Miior takes damage she casts an AoE. Each time someone is hit with the AoE effect they have a chance to add a stack of lightning damage (save vs. reflex). When the tank has too many stacks of damage he/she should ask for DPS to stop. When the stacks of lightning damage wear off the tank, dps can resume until the stacks add up again. Caster DPS should be large direct damage spells, damage over time is dangerous for the tank and makes it difficult to control the stacks of damage. Three melee characters attacking Miior at one time will quickly overwhelm the entire group with damage. That is the surest way to death.
- A single evasive ranged character can quickly dispatch Miior with some DPS bursts, even without Boots of Grounding. Lightning damage can be evaded and keeping the distance should avoid direct damage.
Part 3: Final Boss (extended and commentary mode only)
Your third and final objective would be to agree with Whisper's demands (locate the dragon egg and steal it - or fight the mummy) or disagree with them (so that you have to slay him to complete the quest). You can't fight the dragon on Standard mode. You also cannot encounter the dragon if you kill Whisper.
- Fighting Whisper
- Whisper is a powerful spellcaster. Evasion, freedom of movement and true seeing helps.
- Each time Whisper takes a certain amount of damage, he will teleport to a random position in the room.
- When he is down to low health, he summons 4 copies of himself, which act exactly like the original Whisper. When a copy dies, helmed horrors spawn.
- Defeating the last copy immediately completes the quest.
- Awards one chest with a large number of black stones, and a chance for named items.
- Fighting the dragon
- Killing the dragon awards multiple chests with a chance for named items.
- Returning the dragon egg to Whisper awards one chest with a large number of black stones.
Misc: North east area puzzle
- Solving this puzzle opens the barred door if you don't have a search skill to locate the secret door allowing you access to the southern crest.
- Solving this puzzle quickly will shut all gates in the corridor preventing more mobs from attacking.
- Sneaking in to solve the puzzle will give you an edge in this room.
- The Starved Prisoner (skeletons) are hostile towards the nearby Ghosts; if they are left alone and don't notice you they'll sometimes attack and fight the Ghost captors.
Misc: Lightning statues
This quest features several statues that release lightning energy when struck.
- Every time the statue is touched (melee or ranged, including glancing blows), all nearby characters are hit with lightning damage and receive a stacking debuff that deals increasing amounts of lightning damage every 2 seconds for 10 sec (similar to Eladar's Electric Surge). This effect can stack up to 100 times.
- A reflex saving throw reduces the initial lightning damage, but does not prevent the debuff unless the character has evasion.
- Due to the high number of attacks per second in a full party, players without evasion will die very quickly when standing near a statue that is being attacked.
- Even players with evasion will sometimes receive the debuff because they fail the saving throw due to rolling a 1. In a full party, this usually happens before the debuff runs out. Consider stepping away from the statue to let the debuff run out if it stacks too high.
- A summoned Hezrou will attack the statues, and is immune to electricity.
- Discreet bonus: 145 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 31 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 40 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 10 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 13 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 16 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 63 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 82 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 102 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: Main end chest contains Black Stone ingredient, purple named boss chests can contain named items. End Chests can be picked, and have an Open Lock DC of 80 on Epic Normal.
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
The various bosses can drop the following named loot (All ML26,, and upgradeable via ):
- Fallen Giant: Lantern Ring, Purple Dragon Shield
- Ancient Mummy: Magestar, Manual of Stealthy Pilfering
- Miior: Libram of Silver Magic, Necklace of Mystic Eidolons
- White Dragon: all the items
- Lantern Ring (Ring): , , ,
- Upgrade: , ,
- Libram of Silver Magic (Orb): , , , , ,
- Upgrade: , , , ,
- Magestar (Trinket) (Exclusive):
- Upgrade: ,
- Manual of Stealthy Pilfering (Trinket): , , , , , ,
- Upgrade: , , , ,
- Necklace of Mystic Eidolons (Necklace): , , , , ,
- Upgrade: , , ,
- Purple Dragon Shield (Tower Shield): , , , Improved Bashing X, ,
- Upgrade: ,