Incorporeal creatures cannot be easily hit with normal weapons, which suffer a 50% chance of automatically missing the target.
Implementation in DDO
There's no such thing as touch attacks in DDO, which is how incorporeal undead attack in D&D. To compensate for this, developers gives them very high to-hit bonuses to simulate it. They can miss, but it takes substantial Armor Class to get it to be reliable.
Incorporeal creatures include:
There are also unique, named monsters who have the incorporeal trait (many of which are of the above races), and sub-types of usually corporeal monsters such as Doomspheres, Dream Scourges, Umbral Gargoyles and Umbral Worgs, some Liches, and so on.
These monsters are affected by Incorporeal bane weapons.
Player characters as incorporeal
Players can gain an Incorporeal miss chance via:
- Ascendant Shroud (Pale Master enhancement) - 5%
- Feywild Tap (Elf enhancement) - 10%
- Ghostly (item enchantment) - 10%
- Shroud of the Wraith (Pale Master enhancement) - 10%
- Ghost in the Wind (Pale Master enhancement) - 10%
- Dark Discorporation (Warlock spell)
- Shadow Veil (Ninja Spy 3rd core enhancement)
- Ghostly Essence (Shadar-kai enhancement)
- Shadar-kai past life feat (temporary effect)
- Shadow Form (Shadowdancer epic destiny)
- Walk with the Spirits (Primal Avatar epic destiny)
- Reborn in Light angelic form
Bypassing the incorporeal miss chance
- Ghost Touch and Ghostbane weapons bypass the Incorporeal penalty.
- Paladins can take the Slayer of Evil II enhancement, which provides Ghost Touch for all weapons.
- Wizards can get Undead Augmentation, which includes Unhallowed Touch, providing Ghost Touch for all weapons.
- Rangers and Elves who take the Arcane Archer Force Imbue enhancement gain force damage AND makes your arrows Ghost Touch.
- Wizards and Sorcerers who take Eldritch Knight Spellsword gain Ghost Touch on their weapons (even ranged ones!)
- Aasimar Scourges gain Ghost Touch on all attacks; requires active Bond of the Scourge and a proper enhancement.
- Vistani can gain an attack that grants Ghost Touch for 10 seconds.
- Players can wear an Ethereal or Ghostly item to have any of their weapons defeat Incorporeal.
- Piercing Clarity - tier 4 ability of Grandmaster of Flowers
- Named augment: Ruby of Ghostbane
- Divine Sphere Epic Destiny feat Holy Strike
Tip: Incorporeal Bane items increase the damage dealt to incorporeal enemies, regardless of their race. However, in itself, this enchantment does not allow a weapon to bypass incorporeal miss chance. On some named weapons, this Bane effect is combined with Ghost Touch enchantment.