House Deneith and House Kundarak have temporarily joined forces to explore and excavate the Abandoned Keep, a settlement deep in the heart of Xen’drik that has lain abandoned for hundreds of years. But the evil that destroyed the settlement 500 years ago still awaits those foolish enough to dig deep enough below the Abandoned Keep.
This level 8 adventure zone is accessed through House Phiarlan. Talk to Jalizco Hellios, in the northern part of that enclave, near the road leading north to the Necropolis.
Note the additional quests (see below) that do NOT appear in your Adventure Compendium.
Ruins of Threnal map Spoilers!
The Western Excavation
The Eastern Excavation
The Abandoned Excavation
The final quests, The Abandoned Excavation (aka "Southern"), requires the above two series to be completed in your quest journal. To continue, you must talk to Sal Danek again (quest giver of East series) and ask "Is there more to do here?" This opens Zaveera Halfspear's dialogue to bestowing quests.
- Bug: Do NOT accept to repeat the Eastern or Western quests if you want to advance to third part! Accepting the quests again will require that you repeat them before continuing.
To repeat, you must talk to Sal Danek (quest giver of East series) first and ask "Is there more to do here?" to reset all 3 quest chains. West and East can be repeated individually, but you cannot get advanced to South series that way.
Farming end rewards
After you've run the chain once, you can repeat this series by running only one of the Western or Eastern quest sub-chain plus the Southern one, and earn an end-reward. To repeat just the Eastern* and Abandoned Excavation (Southern) chains, access the Quest Journal (default L key) in a public area (the tavern inside the excavation is closest) and go to the "Threnal" entry. Under Threnal, highlight the Eastern Excavation entry*, scroll to the bottom of the window and click the "Abandon" button. Talk to Sal at the Eastern excavation site and re-complete the three eastern quests. Once the three are complete (be careful to not select the "repeat quests" option with Jal), go to Sal Danek and select the "Is there more to do here?" option. He will then send you to Zaveera Halfspear to complete the southern excavation chain.
- (* Dropping either the Eastern or Western also drops the Southern and allows the chain to be repeated for end-reward, but the Western is much longer, so most people prefer to drop and re-run the Eastern.)
People of Interest
- Delver's Canteen (in the northwest corner of the compound) is the local tavern, and the only place in Threnal that is considered a "public zone" (thus pausing things like Guild buffs and Experience Elixirs). It includes a...
- Barkeep for selling/repairs
- Spirit Binder
- Farshifter "back to Stormreach". He sends you next to the Marketplace gate in the southeast corner of House Phiarlan. (If, instead of using him, you Recall, or run back to the entry point and exit there, you return to the person who sent you here, Jalizco Hellios in north House Phiarlan.)
Quests by Favor
After the last quest is run, and after speaking to Zaveera Halfspear there one last time, go back and speak to Sal Danek, in the eastern excavation, for the chain reward.
Items have 100% chance of appearing on every third completion of the story arc. Weapons, armor and shields are ML 8, most other items are ML 9, Mantle of the Worldshaper is ML 5, Screaming Amethyst Arrows have no ML. All items are Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire unless otherwise noted.
- Accomplice - Cloak: Hide +10Hide +10: Passive: +10 Competence bonus to the Hide skill., Move Silently +10Move Silently +10: Passive: +10 Competence bonus to the Move Silently skill., Charisma -1 Charisma -1: This item makes the wearer ugly, granting -1 Charisma., Empty Green Augment Slot Blue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Asbestos Booties - Boots: Greater Fire ResistanceGreater Fire Resistance: This property absorbs the first 30 points of fire damage per attack that the wearer would normally take., Reflex Save -2 Reflex Save -2: This item gives a -2 Resistance bonus to your Reflex saves., Empty Yellow Augment Slot Yellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Bracers of Spiderkind - Bracers: Summon Monster IVSummon Monster IV
Caster level: 7
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Empty Yellow Augment Slot Yellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Proof Against Poison +4Proof Against Poison +4: This item grants its wearer immunity to natural poisons. This item also grants a +4 Enhancement bonus to saving throws against magical poisons, and the wearer does not fail saving throws against them on a roll of a natural 1 (this renders the wearer immune to magical poisons with a DC of less than 5 + their Fortitude save).
- Brass Beaver - Ring: Repair +7Repair +7: Passive: +7 Competence bonus to the Repair skill., Repair Moderate DamageRepair Moderate Damage
Caster level: 3
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Empty Yellow Augment Slot Yellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Brilliant Docent of the Dawn - +4 Docent: MagiMagi: This item grants the wearer +100 maximum spell points. Sorcerers and Favored Souls gain up to double spell points from items., AidAid
Caster level: 3
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Empty Blue Augment Slot Blue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Coin Belt - Belt: Command, Haggle +10Haggle +10: Passive: +10 Competence bonus to the Haggle skill., Empty Yellow Augment Slot Yellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Crystal Prism - Necklace: Suggestion (spell)Suggestion (spell)
Caster level: 5
Charges: 3 (3/day) — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), Empty Green Augment Slot Blue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Hit Points +15Hit Points +15: Passive: +15 Enhancement Bonus to Hit Points
- Domus' Cuirass - +5 Breastplate (AB 13, MDB 7), Empty Blue Augment Slot Blue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Fencer's Garb - +5 Leather Armor: (AB 9, MDB 22), Spearblock IIISpearblock III: Passive: Reduces physical damage taken by 6, except from Bludgeoning or Slashing weapons. (Damage Reduction: 6/Slash, Bludgeon), Empty Blue Augment Slot Blue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Fernian Wraps - +4 Handwraps, Bound to Character on EquipBound to Character on Equip: This item is Bound to Character on Equip: Flaming BurstFlaming Burst: This weapon is sheathed in fire. The weapon deals an extra 1 to 6 fire damage each hit. In addition, critical hits deal an additional 1 to 10 fire damage for weapons with a x2 critical multiplier, 2 to 20 for a x3 critical multiplier and 3 to 30 for a x4 multiplier., Reflex Save +4 Reflex Save +4: This item gives a +4 Resistance bonus to your Reflex saves., Path of the Fire DragonPath of the Fire Dragon: While wearing this item and in sun stance, you gain a +54 Equipment bonus to Fire Spell Power , which increases damage from spells and fire finishing moves such as Breath of the Fire Dragon., Empty Red Augment Slot Red AugmentsColorless Augments
- Glacial Casque - Helm: Glaciation +54Glaciation +54: Passive: +54 Equipment bonus to Cold Spell Power., Empty Green Augment Slot Blue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments
- Guard of the Shogun - +5 Heavy Armor: (AB 15, MDB 6) Intimidate +10Intimidate +10: Passive: +10 Competence bonus to the Intimidate skill., Diplomacy +10Diplomacy +10: Passive: +10 Competence bonus to the Diplomacy skill., Empty Blue Augment Slot Blue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Jeweled Hammer - +4 Warhammer: 1.50[1d10], Command, Impact IImpact I: Passive: The base critical threat range of this weapon is doubled. This does not stack with Improved Critical feat., Empty Red Augment Slot Red AugmentsColorless Augments
- Kundarak Trooper's Shield - +3 Steel Tower shield: (SB 9), HeroismHeroism: Passive: +2 Morale Bonus to Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, and Skill Checks., Empty Purple Augment Slot Red AugmentsBlue AugmentsColorless Augments with Fortification +100%Fortification +100%: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer much more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a 100% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.
- Mantle of the Worldshaper - Cloak, Bound to Character on AcquireBound to Character on Acquire: This item is Bound to Character on Acquire: Heroic InspirationHeroic Inspiration: This item inspires you to acts of great heroism, granting a +5% bonus to experience points from all sources while it is equipped. This stacks with experience boosting elixirs but does not stack with experience boosting effects from other equipable items., RegenerationRegeneration: Causes the wearer to regenerate 1 hit point a minute using positive energy., Spell Absorption - 5 Charges (Recharged/Day: 1)Spell Absorption: This effect absorbs harmful spells targeted at the wearer., DM's VisionDM's Vision: True Seeing (ML: 5, guaranteed to be in the list)
- Penny Whistle - Trinket: Summon Monster IIISummon Monster III
Caster level: 5
Charges: 5 (5/day) — 5 Charges (Recharged/Day:5), Empty Yellow Augment Slot Yellow AugmentsColorless Augments, Empty Colorless Augment Slot Colorless Augments
- Rabbit Gloves - Gloves: Good Luck +1Good Luck +1: This item gives a +1 Luck bonus to all saves and skill checks., Empty Green Augment Slot Blue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Resistance +3 Resistance +3: Passive: +3 Resistance bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will Saving Throws.
- Ratcatcher - +4 Light crossbow: 1.50[1d8], 17-20x3, Vermin BaneVermin Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Vermins, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2 to 12 points of damage against the foe., Empty Red Augment Slot Red AugmentsColorless Augments
- Recoyle - Rune Arm: Force Shot, Maximum Charge Tier: III, Impulse +54Impulse +54: Passive: +54 Equipment bonus to Force, Untyped, Slashing, Piercing, and Bludgeoning Spell Power., Anathema, Rune Arm Imbue: Force II, Craftable Rune Arm (+4)
- Retribution - +4 Longsword: , True LawTrue Law: This weapon is infused with the power of true law. It does an additional 1 to 6 damage to non-lawful targets and can only be wielded by lawful aligned characters., Pure GoodPure Good: This weapon is infused with the power of pure good. It does an additional 1 to 6 damage to non-good targets and can only be wielded by good aligned characters., Empty Red Augment Slot Red AugmentsColorless Augments (requires: Lawful alignment or UMD 20)
- Spectacular Optics - Goggles: Reflex Save +4 Reflex Save +4: This item gives a +4 Resistance bonus to your Reflex saves., Empty Green Augment Slot Blue AugmentsYellow AugmentsColorless Augments with Protection +3Protection +3: Passive: +3 Deflection bonus to Armor Class.
- Thanatos Weave - Robe: Armor Bonus +5Armor Bonus +5: This item surrounds the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting +5 armor bonus to AC, just as though he were wearing armor., DeathblockDeathblock: The wearer of this item is immune to all death spells and magical death effects., Empty Colorless Augment Slot Colorless Augments, Empty Blue Augment Slot Blue AugmentsColorless Augments
- Theurgic Stave - +4 Quarterstaff: 1.50[2d4], 18-20x2, AdamantineAdamantine: Adamantine weapons may bypass the damage reduction of certain items and creatures., Elemental BaneElemental Bane: A bane weapon excels at attacking one type or subtype of creature. Against Elementals, this weapon's effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus. It deals an extra 2 to 12 points of damage against the foe., Spot +5Spot +5: Passive: +5 Competence bonus to the Spot skill., Empty Purple Augment Slot Red AugmentsBlue AugmentsColorless Augments, Empty Red Augment Slot Red AugmentsColorless Augments
- 100 +5 Screaming Amethyst Arrows - 100x +5 Arrows: Returning 50%Returning 50%: This missile will return to the player 50% of the time., ScreamingScreaming: Screaming weapons emit a piercing screech whenever they are used to make a successful attack. This screech does an additional 1 to 6 sonic damage. (No minimum level, Always appears, UnboundUnbound: This item is Unbound, and may take permanent damage.)