Escort the Expedition
House Deneith staked a fortune on this venture. But is the Library of Threnal a storehouse of treasures or a trap for the unwary?
|Requires access to : Ruins of Threnal|
|Escort the Expedition|
|Takes place in:||The Library of Threnal|
|Bestowed by:||Sal Danek|
|NPC contact:||Sal Danek|
|Quest acquired in:||Ruins of Threnal|
|Free to Play:||No|
Now that the Library of Threnal has been rediscovered, escort the mage Coyle and his fellow House Deneith explorers to its location. Coyle must survive to set up the magical beacon that will allow House Deneith to teleport men and supplies directly to the site.
|Escort the Expedition is the 2nd quest in the 2nd chain,The Eastern Excavation, in the Ruins of Threnal .|
|The Western Excavation||In Need of Supplies|
|The Eastern Excavation||The Library of Threnal|
|The Abandoned Excavation||The Missing Expedition|
- Escort Coyle Lovell to the Library of Threnal
- Open the door to the Library of Threnal
- Enter the Library of Threnal
- Slay Basthuul
- (Optional) Escort Coyle's fellow explorers to the Library of Threnal — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Quest failure (if Coyle dies)
- Protect NPCs (mandatory: 1 and optional: 2)
- Runes (optional: 2, require INT and WIS checks; can be bypassed (treated like a regular Secret door, with Spot and Search or Detect Secret Doors)
- Lever (optional: 1, requires STR check)
- Two Horizontal Blade Traps; boxes are on the north (left) wall before each trap
- One Sonic Trap, fires continuously; box is on the south (right) wall before the trap
- One Spike trap, easily timed; no box
Tips and Misc
- Useful elemental buffs:
Get Coyle & Co. to (or near) the library door
- Coyle Lovell, the NPC you love to hate. Keep him back behind the group for safety.
- If you have a party member who can stay far in back (perhaps a healer, ranged, or caster), have that party member talk to Coyle & Co. and keep them well away from the fighting. Certain monsters will respawn in some areas and will roam the passages; so don't just leave Coyle at the start entrance for several minutes.
- The first passage south only has a few fire mephits; the second one takes you past WF clerics, a rust monster, and air mephits. Your choice.
- Once in the final hallway, hold Coyle back while you disable the two blade traps (before the blocked intersection). Then, just before the library door, same with the sonic trap. Don't advance Coyle yet...
- In that final hallway to the library (with the traps), there are some bookshelves to the south. Do *not* have Coyle and company follow you in there - they are not smart enough to get out (although it is possible to slowly push them out).
- The library door is locked by 2 signal crystals, requiring you to flip 2 levers, 1 each found north and south. When Coyle gets near the library door, an ambush will spring - read below...
The doors north and south
- Once Coyle is near the locked library, the two blocked doors (leading north and south) will break open, with an earth elemental coming through each. Kill both earth elementals, or Coyle will bravely die fighting the one you skipped.
- If you can lead Coyle & Co. up to the door itself, he will stay there, and be close to where the end-fight spawns when the second lever is pulled (far away). If, otoh, you stop once the side doors burst open, nearer that intersection, you can tell him to stop there, well away from the end fight when the final door is open. The NPC's will be safe there from re-spawns.
- The second shrine in the north wing is opened by a lever up the stairs in the large room.
- The alcove behind the secret door with the northern rune lever is empty.
- The first lever has a Strength check (17-18) to reach the chest.
- South of the STR lever is another lever which opens the way forward. This is protected by a single row of spike traps - easily timed, and also disabled by the lever.
- Bug: Allowing the NPC party (Coyle and his guards) to follow you along the bridge in the Southern Room can cause him to get stuck on the environment and prevent quest advancement.
- Bug: Killing Basthuul from a distance before the objective appears prevents quest completion.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 61 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 80 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 98 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: To reach the kill bonuses it is required to kill respawns. The Glass Spider and Rust Monster before the first trap respawn every 3 minutes, as well as the two Flesh Renders by the northern lever that controls a crystal to open the Library door.
- Chests: Four
- Two in the northeast room, upon killing the iron golem guarding them. The lever to open the gate is in the central pool.
- One just past the south door, behind bars opened a lever (17-18 STR required)
- One a little farther south, behind a secret door. The runes are optional here - if you don't have a good Spot, Search or Detect Secret Doors, you can use the runes to reveal and open the door (17-18 Wisdom and 13-16 Intelligence required for this).
- Collectables: Five (all in the north wing of the ruins)
- Alchemy Table near the first shrine
- Alchemy Table in the corner to the east
- Alchemy Table in the northern-most room
- Two Alchemy Tables (oddly set into the floor) in the room with the rune lever
- NPC rewards: None, until after completing the third quest in the Eastern Excavation.