Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
Hold for Reinforcements
|Hold for Reinforcements is the 3rd quest in The Eastern Excavation,|
the 2nd chain in the Ruins of Threnal story arcStory arcs are chains of quests that make up a story line.
Completing all the quests in a story arc often yields a nice reward..
|The Western Excavation||In Need of Supplies|
|The Eastern Excavation||The Library of Threnal|
|The Abandoned Excavation||The Missing Expedition|
Now is the time for valor in the face of overwhelming evil. You must protect Coyle until Deneith's reinforcements can secure the Library of Threnal.
| Requires access to adventure pack|
|Hold for Reinforcements|
|Heroic XP:||♣1,140Solo/Casual ♦2,000Normal ♥2,100Hard ♠2,200Elite|
|Takes place in:||The Library of Threnal|
|Bestowed by:||Sal Danek|
|NPC contact:||Sal Danek|
|Quest acquired in:||Ruins of Threnal|
|Purchase:||Ruins of Threnal or VIP|
Coyle has sent an urgent request for help. The fire reaver Basthuul is rallying his minions in a last-ditch attempt to overrun the library and slaughter House Deneith's exploratory team. You must defend Coyle until his magical beacon is fully activated.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Defend the library for 15 minutes
- Slay Basthuul
- (Optional) Keep attackers from giving Coyle an incapacitating injury — Bonus (48%): Heroic( ♣547 ♦960 ♥1,008 ♠1,056 )
What to Expect
- Timed quest (15 minutes)
- Protect an NPC (optional)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
Note: As of Update 23, the quest no longer fails if Coyle is incapacitated (as he no longer dies). However, it is +50% XP if you can prevent this.
- The 15 minute timer starts as soon as the first person enters the quest and it doesn't take long before mobs start spawning, so try and enter together. Buff Coyle Lovell as soon as you get in with the buffs listed below and more. He thinks he's a bit of a hero and he tries to "help" in the fight, which gets him a lot of aggro.
- Useful buffs:
- Resists: Acid, Cold, Fire
- Useful buffs for Coyle:
- Heroism/Greater Heroism
- Aid/Mass Aid (extra temporary HP is always good!)
- Rage (for more HP)
- Bear's Endurance
- Death Ward (stops Tharaak Hounds' dance of death, Renders' inflict wounds)
- If you're running this at level, a full balanced group is recommended. A caster with heightened web can be very useful on this quest to ensure all non-fire monsters are quickly controlled before they can harm Coyle. Cloudkill helps a lot to draw aggro to the party as well, and given its long duration, can be maintained throughout the quest with careful spell point usage.
- Otto's Sphere of Dancing is another useful crowd control spell if you're running this above level.
- You can hit Coyle Lovell on the head using Bluff to stop him running into his death; it's useful to put an AoE Crowd Control spell such as Otto's Sphere of Dancing or Web on top of him when he's down. He'll wake up when damaged, however, so keep a close eye on him.
- If you're just after completion for end rewards, it is easily soloable on casual with a cleric (or hireling) to spam blade barriers around the poor knocked out Coyle.
- If you just wish to pike and wait it out, using Invisibility (or good Hide) and tucking yourself in behind the Rest Shrine is generally safe (unless Coyle or someone else pulls a mob near there).
- Note that this approach is less likely to work on higher difficulties, as various Champions and Reapers may spawn that have True Seeing.
- Aggression bonus: 72 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣114 ♦200 ♥210 ♠220 )
- Chests: One End chest, may contain the unique loot listed below
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
||Cinder's Dance (edit)||Ring||
||7||UnboundUnbound: This item is Unbound, and may take permanent damage.||Hold for Reinforcements, End Chest|
||Rahl's Wrath (edit)||Kama||
||8||Bound to Character on EquipBound to Character on Equip: This item is Bound to Character on Equip||Hold for Reinforcements, End chest|
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Basthuul ( view • edit )||♦17Normal ♥19Hard ♠21Elite||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Brown Spider Prince ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥8Hard ♠10Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Fire Reaver ( view • edit )||♦12/14Normal ♥16Hard ♠19Elite ●♦15Epic Normal||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Flesh Render ( view • edit )||♦12/14Normal ♥14Hard ♠17Elite||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Glass Spider Queen ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♥10Hard ♠14Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Granite Gargoyle ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♥10Hard ♠13Elite ●♦22Epic Normal ●♠45Epic Elite||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Granite Gargoyle ( view • edit )||♦16Normal ♠21Elite ●♦30Epic Normal ●♥36Epic Hard||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Huge Rust Monster ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Ice Flenser ( view • edit )||♦14Normal ♥16Hard ♠19Elite||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Ice Flenser ( view • edit )||♦3Normal ♥5Hard ♠7Elite||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Iron Golem ( view • edit )||♦13Normal ♥15Hard ♠18Elite ●♥30Epic Hard||Construct||Golem|
|Mephit of Fernia ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Mephit of Lamannia ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite ●♦22Epic Normal ●♠46Epic Elite||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Mephit of Risia ( view • edit )||♦9Normal ♥11Hard ♠14Elite||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Thaarak Hound ( view • edit )||♦10Normal ♥12Hard ♠15Elite ●♦21Epic Normal ●♥29Epic Hard ●♠44Epic Elite||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Pay to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by adventure pack
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Short quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 3 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 10 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Ruins of Threnal quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Ruins of Threnal quests > The Eastern Excavation quests > The Library of Threnal quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > House Phiarlan patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by story arc > The Eastern Excavation chain quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests with no traps