All adventure packs are free for a limited time! Until April 23, use the code
DUNGEONCRAWL in the DDO Store to unlock a plethora of free quests!
More info: https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl
Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
|The Rescue is the 2nd quest in The Western Excavation,|
the 1st chain in the Ruins of Threnal story arcStory arcs are chains of quests that make up a story line.
Completing all the quests in a story arc often yields a nice reward..
|The Western Excavation||In Need of Supplies|
|The Eastern Excavation||The Library of Threnal|
|The Abandoned Excavation||The Missing Expedition|
House Kundarak's chief engineer is missing. Only the mightiest heroes can hope to rescue him.
| Requires access to adventure pack|
|Heroic XP:||♣1,692Solo/Casual ♦2,990Normal ♥3,160Hard ♠3,330Elite|
|Takes place in:||The Western Excavation|
|Bestowed by:||Jan Falner|
|NPC contact:||Jan Falner|
|Quest acquired in:||Ruins of Threnal|
|Purchase:||Ruins of Threnal or VIP|
Rescue Chief Engineer Derward inside the Western Excavation.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Find Derward and escort him to the dungeon exit
- (Failure) Protect Derward from attack
What to Expect
- Protect an NPC (mandatory)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- 1 Secret door (required) to be found and opened to complete the quest: Secret Door DCs
- Two flaming grates in the floor shoot fire; one control panel on the east wall before the second grate disables both. Just avoid walking on the grates and you're fine.
Tips and Misc
- Useful elemental buffs:
- This quest is a slightly tougher than the previous one.
- Follow the path as in the previous quest, clearing as you go. Watch behind you, as more mobs will follow you than last quest.
- Once again, glass spiders can really ratchet up the threat level if not dealt with quickly.
- Past the first large room, watch the floor grates – they are fire traps, so disarm or avoid. Note the only shrine (for this quest) behind the door at this intersection.
- The door to the northern section of the map is shut, with no way to open it.
- Go left/south, find the secret door, kill the flesh render, and pull the lever. Go further south and into the door that has now opened. Loot the chest.
- A Spot of 1 and Search of 2 on Elite was sufficient to find the; Secret door (required).
- Talk to Derward and take him back to the dungeon entrance, which also serves as the exit. Mobs will have respawned along the way, so keep him buffed and try and get the person who talked to him to hang back behind the fighting. If he dies, you fail.
- Derward can be buffed and healed.
- Don't ignore monsters in side tunnels – Derward may volunteer to go and "clear those out" on his own.
- If you have trouble keeping Derward alive, make sure no one talks to him once you get to his room. Empty the chest, then clear back to the entrance without him. It is, however, possible to tell Derward to "stay here" if you wish to clear it out in stages. Alternatively, he ambles along fairly slowly, often turning around and going back a few steps before figuring out where he's supposed to go, so if you're quick, he may have a hard time catching up while you deal with the monsters (which is a good thing).
- Aggression bonus: 58 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.( ♣169 ♦299 ♥316 ♠333 )
- Onslaught bonus: 75 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.( ♣254 ♦449 ♥474 ♠500 )
- Conquest bonus: 92 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.( ♣423 ♦748 ♥790 ♠833 )
- Chests: One in the room with Derward
- Collectables: Two
- Alchemy Table near the secret door
- Alchemy Table in the room with Derward
- NPC rewards: None, until after completing the third quest in the Western Excavation.
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Baby Glass Spider ( view • edit )||♦1Normal ♥2Hard ♠5Elite OR From Egg: ♦1Normal ♥1Hard ♠1Elite;||Vermin||Spider|
|Black Widow ( view • edit )||♦2Normal ♥4Hard ♠7Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Darkfang Spider ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥7Hard ♠10Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Fire Mephit ( view • edit )||♦3Normal ♥5Hard ♠8Elite OR Summoned by another mephit: ♦3Normal ♥3Hard ♠3Elite||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Flesh Render ( view • edit )||♦12/14Normal ♥14Hard ♠17Elite||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Gargoyle ( view • edit )||♦4Normal ♥6Hard ♠9Elite||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Glass Spider Queen ( view • edit )||♦8Normal ♥10Hard ♠14Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Glass Spider ( view • edit )||♦3Normal ♥5Hard ♠8Elite||Vermin||Spider|
|Greater Fire Mephit ( view • edit )||♦6Normal ♥8Hard ♠11Elite ●♦22Epic Normal ●♥27Epic Hard OR Summoned by another mephit: ♠6Elite||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Greater Sand Mephit ( view • edit )||♦6Normal ♥8Hard ♠11Elite||Earth Outsider||Mephit|
|Large Earth Elemental ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥7Hard ♠9Elite||Elemental||Earth Elemental|
|Ochre Jelly ( view • edit )||♦5Normal ♥8Hard ♠10Elite ●♦22Epic Normal||Ooze||Ochre Jelly|
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO game guides > Maps > Quests with maps
Root > DDO library
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > DDO Official
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Pay to Play quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by adventure pack
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by duration > Long quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by favor reward > Quests with 5 base favor reward
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > DDO Compendium
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by level > Level 8 quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Ruins of Threnal quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by location > Ruins of Threnal quests > The Western Excavation quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by name
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by patron > House Phiarlan patron quests
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > Quests > Quests by story arc > The Western Excavation chain quests