Temple of Elemental Evil Part One
|This quest was retired in Update 56. See the page Temple of Elemental Evil for the quests replacing it.|
|If you can verify that the subject still exists, pleaseand remove this template.|
|Temple of Elemental Evil Part One is the 1st quest in The Gatekeepers and the Temple .|
|Temple of Elemental Evil Part One • Temple of Elemental Evil Part Two|
There is no doubt; you have come to a place of ineffable Evil. Still, it is most certainly a place for high adventure and untold treasures.
|Requires access to : The Temple of Elemental Evil|
|Temple of Elemental Evil Part One|
|Takes place in:||Temple Grounds|
|Bestowed by:||The Temple of Elemental Evil|
|NPC contact:||Alatra the Gatekeeper|
|Quest acquired in:||The Gatekeepers' Grove|
|Purchase:||The Temple of Elemental Evil|
The Temple of Elemental Evil has made the lands for leagues around a mockery of freedom and beauty. Commerce has ceased. Crops wither. Pestilence is abroad.
Explore the temple and put an end to its evil. You may gain access to the Temple of Elemental Evil from inside the Gatekeepers' Grove (previously in the Hall of Heroes).
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Enter the Temple of Elemental Evil
- Talk to the man in the Temple foyer
- Find the Air Temple Key
- Find the Earth Temple Key
- Find the Fire Temple Key
- Find the Water Temple Key
- Find Falrinth's chambers and determine his plan
- Defeat Falrinth and his minions
- Search for further evidence of Falrinth's plans
- Use the Orb of Golden Death to reach the lower Temple
- (Optional) Find all of the Part One Audio Commentaries — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 10 enemies in the Temple — Bonus (2%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 25 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 50 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (13%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 100 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 200 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 400 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (100%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 750 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (200%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 1500 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (300%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat 3000 total enemies in the Temple — Bonus (350%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find Spider Eggs for the Frogkeeper — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Return to the Frogkeeper — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Alazorun the Djinn — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Brightbane the Rust Monster — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Garkoth the Wiley — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Kirmudy the Bleak — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Nar'Azmath the Ogre Mage — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Rasskar the Bandit Scourge — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Slag the Magma Brute — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Spiritrunner the Minotaur — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay S'Kara the Medusa — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Vigilant Sword the Helmet Horror — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Wadsworth (Assumed to be 20% nowneeds verification) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Wergil the Bugbear Bandit — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Xirma Vo the Sahuagin — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Random traps (bear traps, spell wards)
- Secret doors
- Ballistas firing poison bolts that damage and slow you down (you can use them too)
- Large spawns (on higher difficulties)
- Randomly spawning optional bosses
- Lockboxes randomly spawn and respawn too
- Bear traps
- Pressure plates
- Spell Wards
- Bandit Trappers can also lay Poison Booby-traps (Spider Venom)
Tips and Misc
Open the big bronze door and enter the Temple. There is very little to explore on the outside: a few enemies, and a trio of Ranging Bandits talking around the fire.
- Talk to Otis in the Lobby at the beginning. You can return to have him repair your gear at any time.
- You need to pick up four keys to reach Falrinth. Exit the Lobby either east or west (see "Second Map", above) - you will enter the Third Map, "Level 1", in either the South-east or South-west corner, as appropriate.
- Head north to find the Earth Temple.
- In either Romag's chambers or the prison to the west, you can find a club that charms earth elementals on hit. In case you loot the chest in Romag's chambers first and it doesn't list the club, it usually contains a note pointing to the prison (bunch of mobs + chest with club spawns in prison AFTER you find the note). This club can be used in the fight against the 4 red earth elementals as well as in the end fight of the quest.
- Earth Temple Key: Defeat all the Earth Temple Elementals to gain access to Romag's area. Defeat Romag to lower the force-field around the Earth Temple Key.
- To descend to the second level of the dungeon (Fourth Map, above), either...
- Exit the central Earth Temple to the north, and then take the outer halls south to use the Earth Temple Key to unlock the exit there,
- Return to the quest start and use the Earth Temple Key to lower the barriers on the south side of level 1.
- Lowering these barriers allows late joining party members to bypass Level 1 and head directly to level 2. It can also potentially save you a lot of walking and dealing with respawns if you need to Dimension Door, or release and re-enter the quest.
- Go to the Fire Temple (South-east exit from Air Temple).
- Go to the Water Temple (South-west exit from Air Temple).
- Water Temple Key: Get some water from the Fountain of Wonder, pour into the Water Altar to access the key. Upon taking the key, a Living Pool spawns. You will have to kill it along with two Temple Water Elementals (through the side doors) in order to lower the force-field and progress.
- You won't necessarily have to kill the Living Pool; if you grab the key, and also have means of instant escape like Dimension door activated.
- Go to Kelno's Quarters (west exit from Air Temple replace by: North-west exit from water temple; he is in north of that area).
- Defeat Kelno the Prefect. Click the rune to remove the force-field around the Air Temple Key.
- Return to Air Temple and pick up the key from the carpet in the lower area. This unleashes a Goristro Barbarian. The script that enables the air jets may fail to fire under a variety of conditions. Don't try to be cute here, just drop down to the ground and walk towards the key. If the jets don't fire, you will not be able to get out of the pit without Dimension Door or recalling and entering again.
- Go back through/past Kelno's quarters and South-west down to Dungeon Level Three (Fifth Map, above).
- Go through the toxic mushrooms to the shrine(!), which is guarded by some random monsters.
- Use the keys to unlock four invisible elemental doors to access Falrinth's chamber. (All four keys are now safe to drop, unless you wish to go back and unlock the barrier(s) on the south side of Level 1.)
- Defeat the four elementals.
- Note: Elementals are invulnerable while standing on the area attuned to their element, but they'll chase you. You can use the club for charming the earth elemental(!)
- A one-way barrier will spring up behind you - late players can still enter, but you must fight forward to leave.
- Kill the Bebilith, and, finally, Falrinth.
- Continue north and then west. Read Falrinth's journal and the page on the desk, pick up the orb (referred to as a "skull" in game text), and enter the dimension door which appears.
- Descend south then east to the Pedestal, place the orb/skull. The quest is completed when you move forward to the next room (and the end chest). From there, you can access Part Two, or "Finish" out and enter Part Two later, from the Hall of Heroes.
- Devious bonus: 30 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 143 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 13 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: ? or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 4 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 6 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 98 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 160 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 230+- or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: These numbers will adjust when you move to the last level.
- Chests: Many optional ones. Every optional named monster guards a chest. The fixed ones are:
- One for defeating Harpy Matriarch.
- One for defeating Gargoyle Colossus.
- One in Romag's chambers (usually contain the Romag's Club of Earthen Dominion)
- One in the Earth temple, after defeating Romag
- One optional in the Fire Temple for defeating Alrrem.
- One end chest.
- NPC rewards: None
Named Chest Drop
Standard named items
The following items are found in the rare encounter and end chests in both Temple of Elemental Evil Part One and Temple of Elemental Evil Part Two, as well as in the pyramid chest of part 2. The drop rate is higher in the rare encounter chests than the end chests Part One and Pyramide Chest. Drop rate in end chest Part Two is very high.
- Assassin's Kiss - Dagger - , , , , ,
- Cranium Cracker - Club - , , , , ,
- Elemental Bloom - Quarterstaff - , , , , ,
- Leopard's Chill - Scimitar - , , , Alchemical, ,
- Leverage - Great Crossbow - , , , , ,
- Periron's Talon - Heavy Pick - , , , , ,
- Sapphire Sting - Longbow - , , , , ,
- Spinal Tap - Bastard Sword - , , , , ,
- Wand of a Wonder - Wand - Wand of Wonder 8 charges (UMD DC: 10, ML 1, not rechargeable, Exclusive)
- Golden Orb of Death (Level 7) - Orb - , , , , ,
- Horseshoe Crab Shield (Level 7) - Shield - , , , , ,
- Thrall of the Fire Temple - Collar - , , , ,
- Epic Cranium Cracker - Club - , , , , ,
- Epic Elemental Bloom - Quarterstaff - , , , , ,
- Epic Leopard's Chill - Scimitar - , , , ,
- Epic Leverage - Great Crossbow - , , , , ,
- Epic Periron's Talon - Heavy Pick - , , , , ,
- Epic Sapphire Sting - Longbow - , , , , ,
- Epic Spinal Tap - Bastard Sword - , , , , ,
- Wand of a Wonder - Wand - Wand of Wonder 20 charges (UMD DC: 10, ML 1, not rechargeable, Exclusive)
- Golden Orb of Death (Level 26) - Orb - , , , , ,
- Horseshoe Crab Shield (Level 26) - Shield - , , , , ,
- Epic Thrall of the Fire Temple - Collar - , , , , , ,
Upgradeable items (used in ToEE Crafting)
- Temple of Elemental Evil Upgradeable Weapons - found in any chest in part 1 or part 2
See Also: Temple of Elemental Evil Part Two