|This server is now closed!|
Hardcore League is a recurring event introduced in August 2019. For 90.49 days, you can play on a special perma-death server with some additional rules.
Rules and mechanics
- Basic rule: If you die, you're dead, drawn away to the Land of Lost Souls. No Raise Dead, no self-raises, no res shrines, no res cakes, no Jibbers, no nothing, thank you for playing, this character is done on the Hardcore League server. Period.
- Deaths from quest-specific mechanics (such as The Shroud part 4 death) and /death command do count.
- Death is Announced: World Broadcasts are sent to inform people what killed people at which level. (It doesn't announce the death of Level 1 characters.)
- Once your character is sent to the nether realm, they will not be able to access the shared bank on the Hardcore League server, thus cannot transfer any item that is in their possession to any character.
- Dead characters can't escape from the nether realm until a hardcore season ends, which means it prevents you to play these characters.
- Dead characters will be returned from the nether realm to arrange your inventory and your bank slots.
- Upon transferring your dead character to regular servers which stays in the weather realm still, It'll automatically bring you to Marketplace from there. You might want to transfer your character rather than to delete it if it has valuable items.
- Starting level
- All characters start at level 1, even Iconics. Veteran Status will not help you.
- At level 15, iconic characters get their starting gear, as normal.
- You cannot enter a dungeon if your level is more than 4 levels higher than the base challenge rating. ("Base" means the challenge rating on Normal difficulty.)
- Hall of the Mark and Return to Delera's Tomb are exempt from the level lockout.
- Wildernesses are also exempt from the level lockout.
- Epic characters (i.e. character level 20 and higher) cannot enter heroic dungeons. The two level 20 heroic dungeons, Dreaming Dark and the ToD raid are exempt from this rule.[ ]
- Challenges also have a lockout, which is based on their lowest allowable quest level.[ ]
- You cannot transfer characters to this server, but shortly* after the event is over you can transfer your characters (even dead ones) from the HCL server to any of the regular servers. This transfer is free.
- (* This function is not immediate upon the end of the event, and is only available for a limited period of time, at the end of which the HCL server is (presumably) wiped clean and prepared for the next HCL event.)
- Items in a Shared Bank, Mail, and any/all Guild Ship storage are not transferred. Take them on a Character when that character is transferred, or leave them behind.
- Hirelings and the DDO Store are allowed. The goal is to be as close to live servers as possible.
Players can get exclusive cosmetic rewards for participating / meeting certain goals (favor, reaper XP, level). Note that the character that has unlocked a reward must speak to the Hardcore League NPC to unlock that reward. Only once that is done, then it can be claimed on any character on any server on that account once the season is over.
Rewards NPC: At various places in the game world (for example, Hall of Heroes) you can find a new NPC:
This NPC will grant cosmetic rewards to characters that have passed specific benchmarks. These rewards, once unlocked on a character on the Hardcore League Season server will be available for all characters on that account on all servers.
- When you reach a milestone, you have to talk to the rewards NPC to claim your reward.
- When you die after reaching the milestone but before talking to the rewards NPC, you're out of luck.[ ]
The rewards are account-wide, available on all servers.
Season three — Saving Grace
Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 — Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020
- Available to all players (not only VIP)
- One extra life at level 8; one extra life at level 16 (Technically, you get the extra life as soon as you reach enough XP to take level 8/16. You don't have to take 8/16.)
- When you die with an extra life, you stay dead in the quest and your soul stone appears (same behavior as on normal servers).
- If you reincarnate, the extra life count resets to zero.
- Reaching a Total Favor of 1,750 - Archon Helm
- Reaching a Total Favor of 5,000 - Celestial Mount
- Reaching Level 20: Death Walker's Sash III
- Gaining 10 Reaper Enhancement Points - Death Walkers Cloak III
- Gaining 20 Reaper Enhancement Points - Lantern Archonling War Veteran Certificate
- Major issue
- Dying while disconnected may cause double death. Even if you have 2 lives, you'll lose both in one death - be fully dead eventually. Alt+F4 or bad connection will cause this.
- Exact behavior: You die while disconnected (first death), then log in with -10 HP (second death).
Downtime Notice: Thursday, October 1st 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Wed, 30 Sep 2020 20:32:11 +0000
The DDO game worlds will be unavailable on Thursday, October 1st from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) for maintenance. There are no release notes. When the game worlds reopen, World Character Transfers will be available from the Hardcore server through November 3rd. Thank you!
Season two — Trial By Fire
Wednesday, February 19th, 2020 — Tuesday, May 12th, 2020
- Different kinds of Champion enemies appear: Monster Champion/Hardcore
Goals and rewards:
- 1,750 favor: Bone Devil Skull Helmet (cosmetic)
- 5,000 favor: Bone Devil Armored Mount (cosmetic)
- 10 reaper points: Death Walkers Cloak II (cosmetic)
- 20 reaper points: Dretchling War Veteran pet (Dretch)
- Level 20: Death Walkers Sash II (cosmetic)
- The top 100 winners of the two ladders will be immortalized in the Hall of Heroes.
Friday, August 16, 2019 — Friday, November 15, 2019
Goals and rewards:
- Memorial list of characters who survived above Level 5: Hardcore League/survivors/season one
- 1,750 favor: Eyes of Darkness - Death Watches You cosmetic feat
- 5,000 favor: Bloody Footprint - Death Follows You cosmetic feat
- 10 reaper points: Death Walker's Cloak (cosmetic)
- 20 reaper points: Blood Reaper pet (Blood Wraith)
- Level 20: Death Walker's Sash (cosmetic)
- ( )
On the hardcore server, players can create and join guilds as normal. However, running a guild can be a costly endeavor. Once a season is over, all guilds are deleted. Visit the to find guilds that recruit - or just ask around in game.
- Talking to the Mortality NPC also allows you to see top 100 performers in two categories: Total Favor and Reaper XP
- The top 100 winners of the two ladders will be immortalized in the Hall of Heroes with a plaque featuring the character names.
- When a character dies, their place on the leader board is lost.
- If you would like to Reincarnate in a way that would reset your Favor, keep in mind that this reset to 0 Favor will likely push you off of the leaderboard.
- Any character who reaches at least Level 5 and survives on the server will be recognized in The DDO Chronicle newsletter. (The survivor list was only created for season one; it was dropped for later seasons because it was simply too long. )
After the event, the server shuts down. Leaderboards are prepared and published. After a few days or weeks downtime, the server reopens for a couple of weeks; everyone revives, can access bank and mail, and all characters can be transferred to normal servers for free. The usual limitations of character transfer apply.
Announcement at 2019 Gen Con:
Lamannia preview:(available also to non-VIP)