Game mechanics • Newbie guide • In development • DDO Store • Social Media
Challenges • Classes • Collectables • Crafting • Enhancements • Epic Destinies • Favor • Feats
Glossary • Items • Maps • Monsters • Places • Quests • Races • Reincarnation • Skills • Spells
Please create an account or log in to build a reputation and unlock more editing privileges, and then visit DDO wiki's IRC Chat/Discord if you need any help!
While the Mimic Hunt event is active, any non-raid chest opened by a character level 3 or higher can spawn a Mimic. This includes even non-loot chests (that hold only quest items, etc.) and champion chests, but not Raid chests. Once the chest is opened, if a mimic appears, you are able to loot the contents of the chest as normal at any time, found where the chest was located (not where the mimic may eventually be killed).
The chance to spawn a mimic starts around 10-15% or so. Each time you don't get a mimic, the chance increases, but whenever you do get a mimic, your chance to get another one decreases.† So the more chests you open, the better your chances. The final average % (without "bait", see below) appears to be between 15-20% or so.
- † Possibly the % resets back down to the starting value - the specifics of the math are unknown at this time.
Mimic CRs vary by quest level and difficulty, but know that these mimics are much higher CR than the quest itself, and can represent a dangerous challenge every time a chest is opened - if you have not opted for the mimic repellent, be on your guard every time you open a chest!
You can opt out of the event (for chests that you, personally, open) by speaking to Glynereth and getting "mimic repellent". This has no effect on chests opened by other party members. This effect lasts until you speak to her again and have it removed (or possibly just until the end of that event needs verification).
Mimic Hunt is supposed to be a recurring event, returning several times per year. In addition, during the fourth season of the Hardcore League, Mimic Hunt was enabled for the duration of the season, with a couple of important changes:
- Chests did not ransack (see below.)
- Mimic Repellent was not available.
Other changes for 2017:
- Players will no longer get mimics from a chest after opening or looting the chest six times, with mechanics similar to normal chest/loot ransack. On the seventh (or any later) attempt, the player will get the message "You have looted this chest too often to get a mimic." This is a limit per character, not per account. The six-chest restriction lasts for the length of the Mimic event; it does not reset overnight.
- Mimics will not appear for a character if they are † four levels over the effective quest level (up to six levels over the base quest level, if running on elite or reaper), unless the quest is above level 20.
- † The release notes state "four levels over the quest level." It has been verified that it is actually more than four levels over the quest level. This maximum only applies to the character opening the chest, characters that are over level do not prevent a mimic from being spawned and will still receive a Mimic Token if the Mimic is slain.
- Instant death effects no longer kill mimics.
- The bank deposit boxes in the quest The Stormreaver Fresco no longer have a chance to produce mimics.
- The "Mimic Frenzy" event has been removed.
Good places to hunt Mimics are quests that have a high number of chests and/or can be completed quickly. (Remember that mimics will not spawn if opened by a character more than 4 levels above the adjusted quest level!)
Recommendations (in level order) include...
- Base Level 1 Heyton's Rest†
- Solo Level 2 The Miller's Debt†
- Base Level 2 Haverdasher
- Base Level 2 The Kobolds' New Ringleader
- Wilderness Level 5/25 Three-Barrel Cove wilderness (Sea Witch (ship) and Strinatti chests; recall, reset, repeat)
- Base Level 4 Irestone Inlet
- Base Level 6 Redwillow's Ruins (+2 extra if you can pick locks)
- Base Level 7 The Temple of Elemental Evil
- Base Level 8/31 Against the Slave Lords ingredient chests can be mimics.
- † These quick quests include non-loot chests that can also spawn Mimics.
- Mimic Token - BtA, guaranteed drop per mimic kill, thrown-in style collectable
- Mimic Bait - guarantees that the next chest you open is a mimic, single use
- Mimic Bait x1: 29 DDO Points from the DDO Store
- Mimic Bait x5: 129 DDO Points
- Mimic Bait x10: 195 DDO Points
- Mimic Bait and Mimic Repellent only apply to the person who has them active, and it must be the person to open the chest
Killing Mimics awards Mimic Tokens, one per mimic killed to each party member. This only applies to event mimics, not to other mimics normally available in quests.
Each item is bought separately; lower ML items are not upgraded/upgradable.
During the event, Mimic Tokens can be turned in to Glynereth the Mimic Hunter, who can be found in the Eberron Hall of Heroes upper level, west side (just south of the banker and auctioneer) and in the Eveningstar Hall of Heroes.
20 tokens each
- Collectables Variety Crates: Tier 1 to Tier 6
100 tokens each
- Creeping Coins (new with 2017)
- Mimics (same as in 2015)
20 tokens each
- Oil of Strengthening - for 10 minutes your gear does not take damage
- Caustic Oil - your equipped weapon deals extra 1d6 acid damage for 1 hour
80 tokens each
Note: Each item must be bought separately, there are no upgrades available for items from this event.
Cloak of the Mimic
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 4) (edit)||Cloak||
||4||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 8) (edit)||Cloak||
||8||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 12) (edit)||Cloak||
||12||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 16) (edit)||Cloak||
||16||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 20) (edit)||Cloak||
||20||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 24) (edit)||Cloak||
||24||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
||Cloak of the Mimic (Level 28) (edit)||Cloak||
||28||Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire||Mimic Hunt, Turn in 80 Mimic Tokens|
The belts are simply a massive Hit Point boost, including False Life, Insightful False Life, and Quality False Life. Also included is Competence Healing Amplification, along with a Yellow Augment Slot (empty).
For those interested in the final math...
Necklace of Glib Tongue
Grants bonuses to all Charisma skills except UMD. Practically speaking, it comes in 5* variants, all Bound to Account on AcquireBound to Account on Acquire: This item is Bound to Account on Acquire.
For those interested in the final math...
- * Note: The ML16 / ML20 and ML24 / ML28 versions are identical, except for the ML restriction.
- 18 May — 24 May
- 04 August — 10 August DDO Forums
- 19 May — 26 May DDO Forums
- 30 September — 6 October DDO Forums
- 26 March — 6 April DDO Forums
- 2 May — 12 May
- 9 November — 18 November DDO Forums
- 14 June — 20 June DDO Forums
- 15 March — 21 March DDO Forums
|Originally Posted by Cordovan (Contribs • Message • Email • Cordovan) on March 19, 2018|
The DDO game worlds will be unavailable from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) on Tuesday, March 20th to release a small update to the game. This update corrects an issue with guild chests and the Mimic Hunt, and makes a minor performance update.
The issue with guild chests and the Mimic Hunt was that guild chests were spawning CR 35 Mimics which did not provide a mimic token and made the contents of that chest unavailable for several hours.
- 27 September — 8 October
|Originally Posted by (executive producer) Severlin on September 28, 2017|
I apologize. There was a bug fixed with mimics, but the side effect is that they are using boss scaling which makes them dangerous at low levels since they are scaled like a boss at the end of a dungeon.
We are discussing whether we can patch in adjustments next week.
- 26 February — 08 March DDO Forums
- 21 January — 23 January Lamannia Preview
|The following aspects of the event no longer exist.|
|The following discussion has been closed. Please do not modify it.|
2018: (Exact iteration uncertain.) It is no longer necessary to kill the mimic to loot the contents of the chest. The chest can be looted as normal at any time.
Mimics drop one Lost Mote, which you need 10 of to turn in for a card in the Halls of Heroes. Then you combine 2 cards, much like the Anniversary Card Collection event, for a final prize item.
Once 2,000 MimicsDDO Forums are killed on the server (1,000 for Wayfinder), there should be a server announcement (but there isn't any) and for the next 15 minutes[Unverified"15 minutes" has not been verified in-game. Please verify it!] (feels more like 10) the mimic spawn rate goes up to 100%.DDO Forums (Every chest in the game becomes Mimic.)
All the cards are UnboundUnbound: This item is Unbound, and may take permanent damage.. They are not auctionable. Trade 10 Lost Motes for a random card.
Mimic Hunter <Lost Mote Collector> is an NPC in Halls of Heroes. She offers the following services:
Card combinations and rewards
Combine two cards and receive the following. Rewards items are the ones from the now-defunct Mabar Endless Night Festival.
DDOwiki maintenance categories
DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories
Root > DDO meta
Root > DDO meta > Pages mentioning a Turbine employee > Pages mentioning Cordovan
Root > DDO meta > Pages mentioning a Turbine employee > Pages mentioning Severlin
Root > DDOwiki meta
Root > DDOwiki meta > DDOwiki metacategories > History > Events
Root > DDOwiki meta > External links > Pages sourced by DDO forums
Root > DDOwiki meta > Unverified