A Study in Sable
Sir Ebermund was savagely attacked while visiting Sable Manor, ancestral home of Lord Sable. It's up to you to discover who or what is behind the assault.
|A Study in Sable|
|Takes place in:||Sable Manor|
|Bestowed by:||Winne Harker|
|NPC contact:||Winne Harker|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Sir Ebermund Harker was brutally attacked the first night of his stay at Sable Manor. Help the Purple Dragon Knight find out what lied behind his attack!
Talk to Ebermund's niece, Winne Harker near the Lonesome Tankard Inn in Eveningstar.
- Speak with Sir Ebermund
- Try to determine the vampire's current thrall (4 times, once for each guest/day)
- Explore the hedge maze
- Explore the wine cellar
- Explore the attic
- Explore the west chambers
- (Optional) Save one of the guests — Bonus (5%): Epic
- (Optional) Save two of the guests — Bonus (10%): Epic
- (Optional) Save three of the guests — Bonus (15%): Epic
- (Optional) Save all four of the guests — Bonus (20%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Willem the Werewolf — Bonus (11%): Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Wollstonecraft the Flesh Golem — Bonus (11%): Epic
- (Optional) Read all of Lucille's journals — Bonus (12%): Epic
- Explosion effect in West Chambers
One or more (depending on difficulty) on the roof near Wollstonecraft
Tips and Misc
- Acid resist is useful to have for the cellar region, and shield/nightshield for magic missile immunity is useful through the whole adventure. Dimension door is useful to return quickly from each zone.
- Before talking to Ebermund the first time, search the mansion for each of the four guest items (possible locations in the guest list below; note that the amulet might be behind the secret door in the library)
- The guest items are items that will distract a specific guest enough to break a possible enthrallment. If you uncover a thrall, then by showing them the distracting item, you can neutralize them.
- The guest items can all be found without opening any of the 4 areas (wing/attic/maze/cellar). If you searched the mansion and haven't found them all, keep searching.
- The items can't be traded, but you can give them to another character by dropping them on the floor (drag and drop out of inventory). Caution: Do not drop an item on a sloped surface such as stairs or the item may end up inside the surface and unreachable.
- Head to the conservatory in the northeast and talk to Ebermund, (this will advance the quest to day and open a random area out of four possible ones: the attic, the hedge maze, the west chambers or the wine cellar).
- Head to the new area and kill the new pack of vampires. Find the area item and the optional journal in each place. The locations, items and common enemies are noted by area below.
- The area items are items that can be used to detect vampire thralls in general. The Gem of Revelation reveals the true nature of a thrall. Scrap's Chew Toy will summon Scrap the dog and the thrall will show its teeth in response. The Orb of Sunlight will make the vampire thrall show signs of pain. The captured rat will make the thrall eat it.
- Once you use an area item, you can't use it again. If the guest you used it on was not a thrall, you wasted the item. Even if you know someone is a vampire (when night of day 2 -or 4th period- arrives everyone is), without an area item you cannot prove it and thus cannot prevent the thrall from joining its master.
- With each new area opened, one of four NPCs will randomly become the thrall of Lord Sable. To complete the optional 'save the guests' objective (with an extra end chest if you save all four), you must first determine who the new thrall is (by looking at each guest's initial dialogue and comparing it to their current dialogue; only the thrall's dialogue should have changed), show them the area item you just found, and then show them their specific guest item that you collected earlier. This information and each day and night location is found below for each guest.
- Any guest you do not correctly free will be an enemy you have to face in the final boss battle.
- After you show a guest any area item/guest item (whether or not the guest is the correct thrall for that day), return to Ebermund to advance the quest to night. A new random area will open up and a new guest will become a thrall.
- If you didn't find the previous thrall, the guest that was previously a thrall will remain a thrall in addition to the new thrall. So your chances of identifying at least one thrall are 100% since at the 4th period (night of day 2) everyone will be a thrall.
- As before, retrieve the area item, identify the new thrall, show him the new area item you just found (through dialogue), and give him his guest item.
- When you have completed this for all four areas/thralls (day and night alternates), head to the crypt by the hedge shrine for the final boss fight.
- The werewolf optional is at the shack in the hedge maze. The werewolf appears only during the night (2nd and 4th period). Even if the maze opens during the day, you can come back later or just before you jump down for the boss fight.
- The final battle is against the vampire Lord Sable (silver/metalline suggested). He will be accompanied by other vampires, as well as any guest thralls you didn't save earlier.
- Watch out for his AOE force damage spell which has a knockdown. It seems to be a trip attack, using the best of your STR/DEX to save. Note he has a quick tell before doing this attack: he will grip the pommel of his sword with both hands immediately prior to executing it. If you are blocking, he cannot knock you down.
- Destroying any of the pillars inside the room creates a ray of light. Fighting Lord Sable inside the ray weakens him, greatly speeding up the fight.
Area list (Edit)
- One of the four areas below opens each time you talk to Ebermund to advance the quest. The item listed will always be in that area, but has several spawns points in its specific area.
- If an area item is shown to the right thrall, you can follow it up through dialogue to save the guest with the proper guest item.
- Caution - You can give the area item to a guest who isn't a thrall. This will prevent you from earning the optional XP for that thrall and the extra chest you get for choosing all four thralls correctly. The quest tracker will direct you to Ebermund to advance the quest to the next day/night normally afterwards.
Attic Hedge Maze
- Location: South from great hall on the first floor.
- Item: Scrap's Chew Toy – southwest part of maze (can be found easier by pressing Q to show nearby interactables).
- Enemies: Animated Topiary Lion, Wood Woad.
- (Optional, always spawns, but only at night – return after nightfall if you're here during daytime) Groundskeeper Willem, the Werewolf – in the southeast corner, with chest.
West Chambers Wine cellar
- Below are the day/night locations, the guest item required to save the guest, the two possible spawn locations of the item, and the dialogue that you first see that indicates a guest is the thrall.
- You can only give each guest item to its proper guest, so you don't have to worry about giving the wrong item to the wrong guest.
Alyk Glenweir - Harper elf
- Day: By the fireplace in the great hall
- Night: Second floor, center room on west side
- Guest item: Strong Sleeping Drought - master bedroom; shelf on stairs from kitchen to wine cellar
- Thrall dialogue: 'The voice it calls to me! So clear, so strong so commanding.'
- Alyk previously complained that the voice would not let him "sleep" (he is an elf) and he wanted to make it stop.
Dareon Krenner - Wizard
- Day: Library (middle room on east side of first floor)
- Night: Second bedroom from the top on the northwest side of the second floor
- Guest item: Mystic Maze - table in the Conservatory; table beside hedge maze shrine
- Thrall dialogue: 'It's so quiet here, so peaceful, I could just stay here forever without a thought in my mind.'
Flora Raynard - Collector
- Day: The landing between floors 1 and 2
- Night: Southeast bedroom on the second floor
- Guest item: Amulet of the Medusa - shelf behind secret door leading from library to master bedroom; chest in northwest bedroom on second floor
- Thrall dialogue:
- Day: 'So many valuables, they must not be disturbed.' or 'So many fine possessions, gathered over centuries! They must not be disturbed!
- Night: 'We should not prowl about the house at night.'
- Flora is an art thief and both of her thrall dialogues directly contradict her character.
Sir Chadrus Thruling - Knight
- Day: outside northwest hallway of the first floor
- Night: Second bedroom from the bottom on the southeast side of the second floor
- Guest item: Hunter's Map - table near the stairs to the attic; table in library
- Thrall dialogue: 'How grand it will be to see the master of the house.'
- Sir Chadrus was previously impatient to meet the host and then go on a deer hunt. The change of his vocabulary ("grand" and "master") also indicates he's a thrall.
Locations of Lucille's journals (optional)
- On top of bookcase in the library
- On table in northwest bedroom on second floor
- In the master bedroom (room on second floor with the shrine)
- In the crypt by the hedge maze shrine
- On a table along any of the hallways on the second floor
- West chambers (random location)
- Hedge maze (random; usually west side)
- Cellar (random location)
- Attic (random location)
- Outside door to final boss at bottom of crypt
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 63 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- 1 optional for defeating Willem the Werewolf
- 1 optional for defeating Wollstonecraft the Flesh Golem
- 1 optional for saving all four of the guests
- 1 for defeating Lord Sable
- Collectables: 8
- 2 Adventurer's Packs in the hedge maze
- Rubble in the west chambers
- Cabinet in the west chambers
- Reagents Cabinet in Attic
- Adventurer's Pack by Wollstonecraft
- Fungus in wine cellar
- Bones in wine cellar
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
||Hunter's Slayer (Level 26)||Great Sword||
||26||A Study in Sable, End chest (Epic Elite)|
||Hunter's Slayer (Level 25)||Great Sword||
||25||A Study in Sable, End chest (Epic Hard)|
||Hunter's Slayer (Level 24)||Great Sword||
||24||A Study in Sable, End chest (Epic Normal)|
|Animated Book (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Animated Morningstar (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Animated Object (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Animated Topiary Lion (view)||Plant||Lion|
|Animated Weapon (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Cellar Spider (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Cellar Spirit (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Crypt Rat (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Flora Reynard (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Greater Fire Mephit (view)||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Fire Outsider||Mephit|
|Guardian Gargoyle (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Lesser Vampire Spawn (view)||Undead||Vampire|
|Lord Sable (view)||Undead||Vampire|
|Pillar (Study in Sable) (view)||0||Construct||Inanimate Object|
|Summoned Dretch (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Vampire Spawn Mystic (view)||Undead||Vampire|
|Vampire Spawn Sentinel (view)||Undead||Vampire|
|Willem (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Werewolf|
|Wood Woad (view)||Plant||Wood Woad|