A game server (sometimes host or shard) is a server which is the authoritative source of events in a multiplayer video game. The server transmits enough data about its internal state to allow its connected clients to maintain their own accurate version of the game world for display to players. They also receive and process each player's input. (from)
DDO game servers
DDO currently has 8 distinct persistent game worlds (servers).
- Default server as confirmed by DDO Audit.
- Wayfinder (used to be a German language recommended server, not anymore)
Additional servers are available temporarily:
- Hardcore - special event server; uses the same client as regular servers
- Lamannia - test/preview server; uses a separate client
Each server is a distinct game world. Your characters cannot see or interact with anything that happens on a different server. Your shared bank and the shared platinum vault is also restricted to characters of one server; so is the Auction House and in-game mail. Individual guilds are also tied to a server.
The servers are located in New Jersey. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/236205835?t=43m56s
Transferring characters across worlds is a paid service costing 2,495 per character. (see full details here).
- The items in your inventory and character bank are transferred with you.
- The following things will not transfer with your character and are lost forever:
- The following things will not transfer with your character but will remain on the original server:
- Accumulated favor travels with you; however, per-server benefits unlocked by favor do not transfer.
- Monster Manual rewards (ability to see HP as well as any pets) stay on your original server.
- If you want to return to your original world, you must wait at least 14 days.
- Your guild loses 10% of your accumulated renown - same as if you deleted the character .
- You cannot be the Leader of a Guild and transfer your character from one world to another. If necessary, please promote a successor or other guild member to Leader, or disband your guild, prior to undergoing a character transfer from one live game world to another. Guild leaders will not display in the Character Transfer UI.
- If your name is being used on the world you are transferring to, your name will be appended with a -1 and you will be granted a one-time free rename credit. While logged into the character you wish to change the name of, type /changename (new name) into the chat panel to change your name.
Character transfers from the Hardcore servers to a normal server, during a season, are free for any character created. But most, if not all, of the listed rules apply. You must transfer your characters while the Hardcore Server is open. The server is wiped of all characters and their banks before a new season is started.
Character copy to Lamannia preserves your character on the live game world, and is always free.
Account-wide and server-dependent features
- Your game account allows you to access/create characters on all live servers, as well as the Lamannia test server.
- Your DDO Point balance.
- The benefits of your account type and account upgrades purchased from the DDO Store (such as adventure packs or premium races/classes).
- Your Astral Shards balance.
- Any perks that you unlock by favor, such as 32 point builds, favor-unlockable races and classes.