The Shadow Crypt
Nerezza's resting place is a twisted game of darkness and shadow. North becomes south, East becomes West, nothing is at seems.
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 2|
|The Shadow Crypt|
|Takes place in:||The Shadow Crypt|
|Bestowed by:||The Herald|
|NPC contact:||The Herald|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Herald of the Emerald Claw requires your assistance in stopping Brother Nerezza and obtaining the Twisted Apocrypha. You must discover the treacherous path through the Shadow Crypt to defeat Brother Nerezza.
Complete the first four quests of the Litany of the Dead Part 2 story arc in any order:
- Find and speak with Dame Calla
- Acquire 2 Small Blue Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Red Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Green Gears
- Acquire 2 Small Yellow Gears
- Open the way to Nerezza
- Defeat the Shadow Council (defeat 4)
- Slay Brother Nerezza
- Acquire The Twisted Apocrypha
- (Optional) Slay Gloom — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Twilight — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Login Yapow — Bonus (0%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Rhonita Hourd — Bonus (0%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Callin Fornan — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Timoty Jorem — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Myriel Everborn — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Dontre Lebram — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Caligin — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Dusk — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Lurid — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Murk — Bonus (10%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Maze (3 possible variations)
- Map useful only in individual rooms
- Randomly placed quest items (mandatory: 8 gears; optional: 4 additional gears)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Note: All optional encounters are rare spawns. You will generally only encounter 6-9 per instance, and may not enter the same room with them.
Tips and Misc
The "path" through this quest is very confusing and non-intuitive, with each room seemingly connected at random to other rooms. Read below to familiarize yourself with some of the strategies for successfully navigating the quest.
- After first speaking with the injured Dame Calla, there will be a 10-15 second pause before the first fight begins.
Finding the gears
You will find five types of rooms, each in four different colors. Each room has a different solution - combat, maze, or puzzle. There is only one type for each color, 20 rooms altogether, but they are connected via "teleporting" exits/entry points - the layout is not something that can be represented with a standard map.
See Instance Paths for detailed information on paths and rooms.
There are 3 known configurations to this dungeon. Depending on the configuration you get, the directions you take from each room will land you in a different room. Each room is one of 4 possible colors (red, yellow, green or blue), and each room has one chest that contains a gear that matches the color of that room.
- Your base objective is to collect 2 gears per color, 8 total; that is 2 each of red, blue, green, and yellow.
- Optional: To open the "big chest" at the end (which has many of the named items, listed below!), you need to acquire one additional\\ gear per color, for a total of 3 gears per color, 12 total.
A simple approach to finding all the gears is to just go the same direction every time you exit a room. Eventually most of the rooms will be explored. Be aware that although you may exit a room heading one way, say "east", you may enter the next oriented in any direction. Be aware of which way you exit the room on the map.
Once you have located the gears you need, you have to find the end-fight.
To get to the end fight, you must find a "banner room", a room which has a pale transparent banner hanging over one of the actual exits (and beyond the archway leading to that exit). The banner in one of these rooms may be hard to spot - look carefully. Once you find any banner, take that exit and look for the next - it will be one of the exits in the next room. After several of these, you will be in a new hallway, and you will be on track for the end-fight.
- Minor bug: Low graphics quality can remove the banner, making it impossible to know which room it is. Use Ctrl+o to adjust your graphics quality.
- Tip to find the Banner Room. From the starting room (you can use the Dimension Door trinket), take the South Exit, then the East Exit, then the West Exit, and check the room that you arrive in. If the Banner isn't in that room, dimension door back to the start and then take the East Exit three times and check that room for the banner. Look carefully.
- Once the fight is over, use the altar to teleport directly to the end-chests.
Nerezza will clone himself multiple times when hurt below a certain level. You need to either hurt him fast enough so that he doesn't get to clone, or use Firewall to hurt all the clones. If you can't hurt him before he clones, and you don't have access to the Firewall spell, have all your party members focus on the original Nerezza by keeping him targeted using the Tab key. It used to be that Nerezza still remained targeted after re-appearing, but that is no longer the case.
NOTE: That is still the case as of U31 Patch 2.
You can identify the clones by seeing how much damage they take - clones have half as many hit points as Nerezza.
Nerezza also has special DR:
|Originally Posted by |
Actually, Nerezza has his vampiric 10/silver, an additional 10/magic ... 2/adamantine. (12/silver, 12/magic, 6/adamantine on hard, 15/silver, 15/magic, and 9/adamantine on elite).
After the quest is complete, you can use the altar once to upgrade:
- a Silver Flame Nugget to a Silver Flame Amulet
- a Silver Flame Amulet to a Silver Flame Pendant
- an Emerald Claw Nugget to an Emerald Claw Amulet
- an Emerald Claw Amulet to an Emerald Claw Pendant
The altar may only be used once per run of the quest (on any difficulty); if you wish to make more than one upgrade, you will have to re-run the quest.
- Aggression bonus: 82 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 284 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 3 guaranteed, 1 optional "big chest"
- Collectables: 5 (maybe more)
- Crude Altar in the entrance
- Moss in the Green Columns room
- 2 Adventurers' Packs in the Blue Maze
- Adventurer's Pack in the Yellow Water room
- Shadow Scarab (in end chest)
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
- Cloak of Protection - Cloak: , , (Big Chest)
- Dusk - +5 Docent: Dusk, (Big Chest)
- Devout Handwraps - +3 Handwraps: Metalline, , (Big Chest)
- Phase Hammer - +4 Maul 1.25[1d10]: , Ghost touch, , (Big Chest)
- Shards of Light - 50 +3 Arrows: , (Left End Chest, Big Chest)
- Tenebrous Stiletto - +4 Dagger 1.25[1d4]: , Ghost touch, , ,
- Witching Hour - +4 Quarterstaff 1.25[1d6]: , Ghost touch, , , (Right End Chest, Big Chest)
|Brother Nerezza (view)||Undead||Vampire|
|Dread Wraith (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shadow Guard (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shadow King (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shadow Knight (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shadow Lord (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Spectre of Calla (view)||Undead||Spectre|
|Caligin (NoPic)||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Callin Fornan (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Dontre Lebram (view)||Undead||Spectre|
|Dusk (spider) (NoPic)||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Login Yapow (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Myriel Everborn (NoPic)||Undead||Spectre|
|Rhonita Hourd (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Timoty Jorem (NoPic)||Undead||Wraith|
|Twilight (monster) (NoPic)||Undead||Shadow|
|Drifting Scourge Mage (NoPic)||Undead||Spectre|
|Drifting Scourge (NoPic)||Undead||Spectre|
|Dun Butcher (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Phase Spider (view)||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Shadow (Mabar) (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Shrouded Terror Mage (NoPic)||Undead||Wraith|
|Shrouded Terror (NoPic)||Undead||Wraith|