Tomb of the Shadow King
|Tomb of the Shadow King is the 2nd quest in the Litany of the Dead Part 2 .|
|The first four quests can be completed in any order to unlock The Shadow Crypt.|
|Tomb of the Shadow Guard • Tomb of the Shadow King • Tomb of the Shadow Knight • Tomb of the Shadow Lord • The Shadow Crypt|
The Shadow King's Tomb is dotted with bright powerful torches. The shadow creatures seem to fear them.
|Requires access to : The Necropolis, Part 2|
|Tomb of the Shadow King|
|Takes place in:||Tomb of the Shadow King|
|Bestowed by:||Samir Sirka|
|NPC contact:||Samir Sirka|
|Quest acquired in:||The Necropolis|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Samir Sirka of the Silver Flame has entrusted you with the responsibility of defeating the mummy guardian Nsu. Enter the Tomb of the Shadow King and extinguish all light to awaken the mummy, but beware the dark is the source of his power.
- Find and speak with Shadow King
- Slay Waine Brousch
- Slay Rudi Sparn
- Darken the Shadow King's Tomb (total 16 torches)
- Slay Nsu
- (Optional) Slay 2 (Invisible Stalker) — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Patrice Lornat — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Dimmet — Bonus (20%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Point of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Optional requires extra player(s)/hireling(s) (2 levers have to be pulled simultaneously)
- Spike and poison traps, random
Tips and Misc
- This is probably the toughest quest of the series and it is not recommended for a party of level 8s do this, especially if you don't have a caster with Firewall and healer with Raise Dead. Keeping Death Ward up is very important as well, in order to avoid Ability Damage (Constitution drain) from wraiths.
- Mobs in this quest keep respawning. In order to avoid going to the same place twice and dealing with respawn, knowing the map and planning your path is very important (i.e. outer corridor first, then north area, clear shrine, inner corridor, then south area, etc).
- Torches give nearby undead curse debuff while they are lit, so, other than firewalling everything, rounding them up around the torches and using disruption weapons is a good tactic too, if you are high enough level to use them. Clearing out the mobs before extinguishing the lights is a good tactic for less experienced teams.
- The shrines in the center have doors that can be broken to allow permanent access from the north and south, but the east and west gates only open from the inside, and then only for a moment.
- Parking a hire or pet in the middle of this room can solve this problem.
- If you can't find the last torches try a walk through the walls in the rooms with the keepers of light. There are secret rooms which are not shown on the in-game map. Unlike other secret rooms in game, you cannot find them with your search skill or Detect Secret Doors. If you look at the floor in the north and south torch rooms, there are lit panels that lead to the spot on the walls that serve as the entrance. You simply walk through the wall, as it is just an illusion. If you succeed a spot check you will hear the dm audio clue.
(Dungeon Master): (SPOT) Something about the walls behind the banners here catches your eye, but you're not sure exactly why.
- Once all the torches are unlit, you need to go back to west entrance area and activate Nsu, before you can open up east area. No matter where you kill Nsu, the final chests will spawn in the far eastern room.
- Note: As of Update 27 Nsu may once again be attacked in the West room once he leaves his coffin. He is affected by weapons and spells as usual. He may still be led to the East room and attacked as intended within the light cage, if activated, however. His final chest will still always spawn in the East room, regardless of where he is slain.
- The final room has two levers on the upper floor. When both are pulled simultaneously a bright light shines. Nsu MUST be near the middle of the small square room within the large eastern room. When the levers are pulled, gates will fall trapping Nsu in the light, then he can be killed easily. Nsu can be killed with Sunburst or other light spells such as Searing Light or the Sun Flasks from the Festivult as well as acid spells like melf's or acid blast.
- This can be done solo with a pet/hire. Put them on passive so they don't keep running after the wraiths that spawn. Climb up a ladder on one side, which will lure Nsu to the bottom of that ladder where he will stay. Park your hire at one of the levers up top. Then jump (do not climb) to the bottom of the ladder in the opposite corner, and immediately climb back up as fast as you can. With some luck, Nsu will run across to get you and stop in the middle, once you are high enough on the ladder. Then instruct your hire to pull the one switch while you pull the other, and jump down to finish off Nsu.
- Aggression bonus: 60 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 79 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 97 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 32 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 41 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 51 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 1 random in north area
- 2 after end fight
- Collectables: 4
- Rubble in the South-east room past the illusory wall
- Adventurer's Pack in the North-west of the outer hallway
- Crude Altar by North eternal torch
- Crude Altar in the South hall connecting the outer and inner hallways
- NPC rewards: Random item
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Aubery Garned ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Dimmet ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Dread Wraith ( view • )||Undead||Wraith|
|Drifting Scourge Mage ( view • )||Undead||Spectre|
|Drifting Scourge ( view • )||Undead||Spectre|
|Invisible Stalker ( view • )||Elemental||Invisible Stalker|
|Nsu ( view • )||Undead||Mummy|
|Patrice Lornat ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Phase Spider ( view • )||Magical Beast||Spider|
|Rudi Sparn ( view • )||Undead||Spectre|
|Shadow (Mabar) ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Shrouded Terror Mage ( view • )||Undead||Wraith|
|Shrouded Terror ( view • )||Undead||Wraith|
|Umbral Gargoyle ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Umbral Worg ( view • )||Undead||Shadow|
|Waine Brousch ( view • )||Undead||Wraith|