The Old Archives
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Update 45
Descend into the Archives and search for a tome that tells of the mysterious Duality.
|Requires access to : The Catacombs|
|The Old Archives|
|Takes place in:||Library Archives|
|Bestowed by:||Archbishop Dryden|
|NPC contact:||Archbishop Dryden|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Enter the library archives and search for a book about "The Duality."
|The Old Archives is the 3rd quest in The Catacombs .|
|The Friar's Niece • To Find a Witness: Return to the Sanctuary • The Old Archives • The Crypt of Gerard Dryden • Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral • Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt • Endgame: Marguerite • Endgame: The Archbishop's Fate|
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Seek aid from Head Librarian Guillaume
- Acquire the fragments of the Book of the Duality from their secret chambers (3 total)
- (Optional) Clear out the infestation in the library (30 total) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Have each party member report to Graylight — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps and control box locations, and secret doors can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Trap protecting the first fragment of the book. This trap is bugged and never goes off but still has a Control box to the right just before the steps.
- Poison-bomb trap protecting the chest behind the secret door. No way to spot or disable it; one-shot with a delayed activation.
- Blade trap protecting the third fragment of the book. Control box is to the right by the secret door.
Tips and Misc
- The acid trap protecting the chest fires about a second after opening it, giving one plenty of time to open it and then jump back to safety.
- The fragments are in rooms behind secret doors. The spot and search DCs are both -5, so the mission can be completed even if you haven't leveled those skills.
- Fragment 2 is behind a secret door in the southwest corner on the upper floor.
- Fragment 3 is behind a secret door in the northwest corner on the upper floor. It is protected by a blade trap.
- Shadows now dwell in the archives and so a Ghost touch weapon is advised.
- Two crests (Sword & hammer) are needed to unlock final fragment and access the final chest - these are found alongside the book fragments.
- Corrupted Giant Spiders and Spiderlings have replaced the Brown Spiders and Black widows.
- Insidious Cunning bonus: 0 or fewer monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Devious bonus: 5 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 11 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 28 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 37 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 45 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 41 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- Collectables: Three
- Bookshelf just south of the first fragment
- Bookshelf just east of the second fragment
- Bookshelf just south of the third fragment
- NPC rewards: None
Named Chest Drop
||2||The Old Archives, End chest|
|Epic Mask of the Asylum||Helm||
||23||The Old Archives, End Chest|
|Epic Templar's Mail||Heavy Armor||
||23||The Old Archives, End Chest|
|Black Widow (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Brown Rat (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Brown Spider (view)||Vermin||Spider|
|Cave Bat (view)||Animal||Bat|
|Greater Arcane Skeleton (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Rotting Dwarf Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Rotting Elf Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Rotting Halfling Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Rotting Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Skeleton Archer (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Skirmisher (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Veteran (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Warrior (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Small Brown Spider (view)||QL3:; QL?:||Vermin||Spider|