The Old Archives
Descend into the Archives and search for a tome that tells of the mysterious Duality.
|Requires access to : The Catacombs|
|The Old Archives|
|Takes place in:||Library Archives|
|Bestowed by:||Archbishop Dryden|
|NPC contact:||Archbishop Dryden|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Enter the library archives and search for a book about "The Duality."
|The Old Archives is the 3rd quest in The Catacombs .|
|The Friar's Niece • To Find a Witness: Return to the Sanctuary • The Old Archives • The Crypt of Gerard Dryden • Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral • Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt • Endgame: Marguerite • Endgame: The Archbishop's Fate|
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Seek aid from Head Librarian Guillaume
- Acquire the fragments of the Book of the Duality from their secret chambers (3 total)
- (Optional) Clear out the infestation in the library (40 total) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Have each party member report to Graylight (minor bug, see Tips) — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps and control box locations, and secret doors can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Trap protecting the first fragment of the book. This trap is bugged and never goes off but still has a Control box to the right just before the steps.
- Poison-bomb trap protecting the chest behind the secret door. Control box is to the right before the steps. One-shot with a delayed activation.
- Blade trap protecting the third fragment of the book. Control box is to the right by the crest slot. Note that the chest is safe to open.
Tips and Misc
- The acid trap protecting the chest fires about a second after opening it, giving one plenty of time to open it and then jump back to safety.
- The fragments are in rooms behind secret doors. The spot and search DCs are all -5, so the mission can be completed even if you haven't leveled those skills.
- The first Fragment & crest are behind a secret door in the east shortly before you start ascending.
- The second Fragment & crest are behind a secret door in the southwest corner on the upper floor.
- The third Fragment is behind a secret door in the northwest corner on the upper floor. It is protected by a blade trap.
- Shadows now dwell in the archives and so a Ghost touch weapon is advised.
- Two crests (Sword & hammer) are needed to unlock the final fragment and access the final chest - these are found alongside the book fragments.
- The quest ends when you pick up all three fragments.
- (Optional) After the third piece is picked up, Bishop Thaddeus Graylight appears again, near the final fragment. Speak with him to earn +5% xp.
- Minor bug: Only one person needs to speak to Graylight to earn the +5% xp for all in the party.
- WIth the arrival of Bishop Graylight, passage opens behind him which can be used for a fast exit.
- Insidious Cunning bonus: 0 or fewer monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Devious bonus: 5 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 11 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 28 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 37 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 48 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 26 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 44 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- Collectables: Three
- Bookshelf just south of the first fragment
- Bookshelf just east of the second fragment
- Bookshelf just south of the third fragment
- NPC rewards: None