Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt
Ward the unbroken sarcophagi of the Patriarch's Crypt against Marguerite to limit her unholy power.
|Requires access to : The Catacombs|
|Setting the Wards: The Patriarch's Crypt|
|Takes place in:||The Patriarch's Crypt|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
In the Patriarch's Crypt, accessible through the Lower Cathedral, ward the sarcophagi against Marguerite, and escape alive!
|Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt is the 6th quest in The Catacombs .|
|The Friar's Niece • To Find a Witness: Return to the Sanctuary • The Old Archives • The Crypt of Gerard Dryden • Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral • Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt • Endgame: Marguerite • Endgame: The Archbishop's Fate|
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Reactivate the wards
- Find Patriarch's Master Ward
- Defeat the wight guarding the Patriarch's sarcophagus
- Use the Patriarch's sarcophagus to restore its wards
- Speak with Marguerite
- Find an escape route while evading Marguerite's Demon form
- Retreat to the stairs to escape Marguerite's Demon form
- (Optional) Defeat the ghoul and ghast ambush — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Undead Rat swarm — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Shadow ambush — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Test your valor (and the Shadow's Power) — Bonus (roughly 50%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Points of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps and control box locations can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Blade trap on the lower level when going from the western sarcophagus to the shrine on the bottom floor; box is on the center pillar before the intersection.
- Fire traps guarding the levers for the gate around the corner from Brevonis's sarcophagus; boxes are in each alcove (one panel for each trap). The fire can be avoided by standing to one side as the lever is activated.
Tips and Misc
- Once you cleanse the third sarcophagi, the floors collapse. If your party doesn't have feather fall, have them gather around the sarcophagi until the floors are done.
- You can navigate out of a sarcophagus room by using the ledges left after the floor collapses, in case the chest isn't beneath the third room.
- You can avoid the blade trap from the western shrine to the altar by jumping up and walking on top of the wall.
- The ghoul and ghast ambush is under the southern wing. Despite the name, no ghasts actually spawn.needs verification
- The shadow ambush is under the eastern wing.
- The Undead Rat swarm is under the western wing.
- All three optionals are attainable while soloing if your hireling is ordered to attack while you remain on the top level or if you hug the wall at the end to avoid quest completion and take all three paths.
- Brevonis's sarcophagus (the fourth and final one) is guarded by a Wight Priest and three shadows; once you kill the wight, the barrier drops.
- Once you use Brevonis's sarcophagus, Marguerite Dryden appears in a corner of the room with a shadowy Flesh Render-like creature standing behind her. Speak to her to advance but be careful, finishing the dialogue starts the next part of the quest and the the Beast of Bel Shalor wil start attacking you (as opposed to Marguerite herself in the previous version.) It will be several levels higher than the character if run at-level and defeating it has no effect on future quests. Make sure everyone is ready before using that sarcophagus. Use Haste if you can. Fire Resistance for the lever traps. At least one party member has to live to make it back to the central shrine on the upper floor.
- Do not use Dimension Door as a shortcut to the exit after purifying the final sarcophagus. You need to take the northern hallway and unlock the gates for the quest to proceed.
- It's possible to purify the sarcophagus and then go into stealth, if your skills are high enough; The Beast will charge up the hallway and then stop past the lever-locked gate, giving you a chance to disable the fire traps. Note that only one person has to purify the altar, while the rest retreat back up the passage.
- Another alternative is to use a hireling if you already have one out. Set the hire to Stay, blocking the small exit door while you make a run for it. The Beast will usually attack the hireling before coming after you. (No one said you have to be nice to your employees.)
- If you do this solo or you can get the party to work together it is possible to move around the altar when the Demon is chasing you. It will stop in the altar room and then it is possible to complete the optionals.
- The player may actually be able to defeat the Beast, so killing it awards an XP optional (see Test your valor above.) On heroic, if the Beast is slain it simply becomes unreactive but the XP optional is still awarded
- Devious bonus: 3 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 7 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 20 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 26 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 32 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 52 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 64 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The ransack and conquest bonuses can not be obtained without having someone go down at least two of the three paths. This can also be obtained while soloing by hugging the wall at the very end of the quest to avoid the quest completion and taking a second path. The insidious cunning bonus is unobtainable due to the required wight priest kill. The trapping bonus goes straight to neutralization, skipping tamper.
- Chests: 2
- 1 under a collapsible floor in one of the wings (can spawn in multiple locations)
- 1 at Marguerite
- Collectables: Three
- Moss by the eastern sarcophagus (Cardinal Yenaz)
- Adventurer's Pack by the southern sarcophagus (Cardinal Hengrith)
- Rubble beneath the eastern sarcophagus
- NPC rewards: Random items
Named Chest Drop
||Robe of Duality||Robe||
||2||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, End chest|
||Epic Robe of Duality||Robe||
||23||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, Marguerite chest (where talk to Marguerite before chase)|
||Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds||Eternal wand||
||1||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, End chest|
||Epic Holistic Stave||Club||
||23||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, End chest|
||Cloak of the Asylum||Cloak||
||3||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, Marguerite chest (where talk to Marguerite before chase)|
||Epic Cloak of the Asylum||Cloak||
||23||Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt, End chest|
|Beast of Bel Shalor (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Human Female Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Human Zombie (view)||Undead||Zombie|
|Shadow (Mabar) (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Skeleton Archer (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Knight (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Warrior (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Undead Rat (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Wight Priest (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Wight (view)||QL2:; QL3:||Undead||Wight|