Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt
From DDO wiki
Ward the unbroken sarcophagi of the Patriarch's Crypt against Marguerite to limit her unholy power.
|Requires access to : The Catacombs|
|Setting the Wards: The Patriarch's Crypt|
|Takes place in:||The Patriarch's Crypt|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
In the Patriarch's Crypt, accessible through the Lower Cathedral, ward the sarcophagi against Marguerite, and escape alive!
- This is Chapter 2 of Part 4 of the Catacombs story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Use the cursed sarcophagi to ward them against Marguerite
- Find Cardinal Brevonis's sarcophagus
- Defeat the wight guarding Brevonis's sarcophagus
- Use Brevonis Dryden's Sarcophagus to ward it
- Find an escape route while evading Marguerite's wrath
- Retreat to the central altar to escape Marguerite's wrath
- (Optional) Defeat hell hound ambush — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat the ghoul and ghast ambush — Bonus (15%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Collapsible floors
- Points of no return
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps and control box locations can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Blade trap on the lower level when going from the western sarcophagus to the shrine on the bottom floor; box is on the center pillar before the intersection.
- Fire traps guarding the levers for the gate around the corner from Brevonis's sarcophagus; boxes are in each alcove (one panel for each trap). The fire can be avoided by standing to one side as the lever is activated.
Tips and Misc
- Once you cleanse the third sarcophagi, the floors collapse. If your party doesn't have feather fall, have them gather around the sarcophagi until the floors are done.
- You can navigate out of a sarcophagus room by using the ledges left after the floor collapses, in case the chest isn't beneath the third room.
- You can avoid the blade trap from the western shrine to the altar by jumping up and walking on top of the wall.
- Brevonis's sarcophagus (the fourth and final one) is guarded by an armored wight and three hell hounds; once you kill the wight, the barrier drops.
- Once you use Brevonis's sarcophagus, the race is on! You have a few seconds before the gate in the room goes up. As soon as it does, start running. Marguerite Dryden is very deadly for low level characters, and doesn't need to be killed (in fact, it's extremely difficult to hit her, especially at level and even on normal she has several thousand hit points). Make sure everyone is ready before using that sarcophagus. Use Haste if you can. Fire Resistance for the lever traps. At least one party member has to live to make it back to the central shrine on the upper floor.
- If you do this solo or you can get the party to work together it is possible to move around the altar when the wraith is chasing you. She will stop in the altar room and then it is possible to complete the optionals. (NOTE: This may have been changed)
- It's possible to purify the sarcophagus and then go into stealth, if your skills are high enough; Marguerite will go swooping up the hallway and then stop past the lever-locked gate, giving you a chance to disable the fire traps. Note that only one person has to purify the altar, while the rest retreat back up the passage.
- Another alternative is to use a hireling if you already have one out. Set the hire to stay next to Brevonis' sarcophagus while you make a run for it. Marguerite will usually attack the hireling before coming after you. (No one said you have to be nice to your employees)
- The ghoul and ghast ambush is under the southern wing.
- The hell hound ambush is under the eastern wing.
- Both optionals are attainable while soloing if your hireling is ordered to attack while you remain on the top level or if you hug the wall at the end to avoid quest completion and take both paths.
- Devious bonus: 3 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 7 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 20 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 26 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 32 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 52 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 64 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: The ransack and conquest bonuses can not be obtained without having someone go down at least two of the three paths. This can also be obtained while soloing by hugging the wall at the very end of the quest to avoid the quest completion and taking a second path. The insidious cunning bonus is unobtainable due to the required armored wight kill. The trapping bonus goes straight to neutralization, skipping tamper.
- Chests: 1
- 1 under a collapsible floor in one of the wings (can spawn in multiple locations)
- Collectables: Three
- Moss by the eastern sarcophagus (Cardinal Yenaz)
- Adventurer's Pack by the southern sarcophagus (Cardinal Hengrith)
- Rubble beneath the eastern sarcophagus
- NPC rewards: Random items
|Marguerite Dryden (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Armored Wight (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Cave Bat (view)||Animal||Bat|
|Dwarf Zombie (view)||QL?:QL3:||Undead||Zombie|
|Greater Cave Bat (view)||Animal||Bat|
|Hell Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Wight (view)||QL2:; QL3:||Undead||Wight|
|Zombie (view)||QL1:; QL2/QL3:||Undead||Zombie|