Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral
From DDO wiki
Purify the defiled altars of the Lower Cathedral to reach the Patriarchs' Crypt.
|Requires access to : The Catacombs|
|Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral|
|Takes place in:||Lower Cathedral|
|Bestowed by:||Archbishop Dryden|
|NPC contact:||Archbishop Dryden|
|Quest acquired in:||Catacombs|
|Patron:||The Silver Flame|
|Free to Play:||No|
Enter the lower Cathedral and purify the altars to enter the Patriarch's Crypt.
- This is Chapter 1 of Part 4 of the Catacombs story arc.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Purify the altar of the Winged Serpent (western altar)
- Purify the altar of the Avenging Maiden (eastern altar)
- Purify the altar of the Conflagration (northern altar)
- Slay the four guardians of the main altar
- Purify the main altar
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some don't require rogue skills to be disarmed)
- Contains the entrance to another quest (to Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt)
- Skill DCs and pictures of all traps and control box locations can be found in the above links by hovering over the description text.
- Frost traps. Left and right of hallway after the shrine. Two control boxes, one for left, one for right.
- Blade traps covering the gate levers in the north hallway. Two control boxes, one for left, one for right.
- Spike traps in the eastern corridor. Two control boxes, one for left, one for right. Alternatively, they can be disabled by the levers on top of the wall; Note that unless you have a high jump, this will require jumping on the vase there.
Tips and Misc
- When you enter the quest, you'll find a resurrection shrine and a rest shrine engulfed in a bright glowing field. This field will instantly destroy any undead that touch it, but other creatures can walk freely through it. Leading the more powerful undead back to this area is a good way to get rid of them. Note, though, that undead with ranged attacks can still freely fire into the aura; they just cannot walk into it themselves.
- If you don't smash the vases, you can jump on them and then over the wall to avoid the first frost traps. Alternatively, you can use the fountain for the same purpose.
- Each altar is guarded by an armored wight and several undead. Once you've killed the wight, the field drops. The rest of the undead will automatically die if you can activate the altar. This only affects any undead which have "awoken" at the time of purification, not those who are currently inactive.
- You may want to uncheck the box in your UI settings "Combat takes precedence over non-combat" if you are attempting to purify the altars without killing the spawned creatures.
- Once you purify the main altar, a tablet appears on it. You can use the tablet to go direct to the next chapter. If you leave this mission, you can get into the next chapter through a door in the catacombs just like previous missions. The next chapter is Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt
- Discreet bonus: 11 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 29 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 38 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 47 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 35 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 46 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 56 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: To get the conquest bonus, purification of the altars must be delayed to allow some respawns. The insidious cunning and devious bonuses are unobtainable due to the 7 required kills.
- Chests: 2
- 1 near one of the three minor altars (can spawn in multiple locations)
- 1 at the end for killing the four guardians (found next to the central altar)
- Collectables: Three
- Bookshelf by the western altar
- Adventurer's Pack by the northern altar
- Moss along northern wall on way to the eastern altar
- NPC rewards: None
|Armored Wight (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Brown Rat (view)||Animal||Rat|
|Dwarf Zombie (view)||QL?:QL3:||Undead||Zombie|
|Hell Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Large Monstrous Scorpion (view)||Vermin||Scorpion|
|Skeleton Archer (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Knight (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Skeleton Swordsman (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Wight Priest (view)||Undead||Wight|
|Zombie (view)||QL1:; QL2/QL3:||Undead||Zombie|