Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
House Phiarlan bears the Dragonmark of Shadow, giving them unrivaled control over the power of illusion.
|Requires access to : Phiarlan Carnival|
|Takes place in:||Phiarlan Chapterhouse|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||No|
The Maleficent Cabal is secretly planning to strike a social party hosted by House Phiarlan. Cyan has asked you to infiltrate the party and add her to the guest list, so that she can counter them from the inside.
She recommends taking the Phiarlan Chapterhouse's Illusionarium entrance. The Chapterhouse is located in the House Phiarlan Enclave.
- This is the second quest in the Phiarlan Carnival story arc.
- Go through the Illusionarium to reach the Ball Room
- Go through the Chapterhouse chambers to reach the Ball Room
- Find the Guest List and add your names
- Speak to Cyan in the Grand Gala for further instructions
- Search for Cabal plots against the Gala and report back to Cyan
- Gather to protect the Viceroy
- Defeat the Cabal's assassins
Recommended Optionals to make end fight easier
Every enemy at the end fight can be removed, a few at a time, by completing these optionals; complete them all, and the "end fight" consists of nothing but dialogue.
- (Optional) Slay the Tieflings hidden in the Private rooms Heroic: +20% Bonus. / Epic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Lure the Tiefling in servant guise out of the Ballroom and slay her Heroic: +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Lure the Tiefling disguised as a guest out of the Ballroom and slay him Heroic: +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Free the brainwashed guards without killing them Heroic: +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Talk your way past the guards Heroic: +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- See Partycrashers/Skill DC
- (Optional) Switch out the crystal for the Viceroy's Illusionary Sculpture +10% Bonus. / Epic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Inform Salva d'Phiarlan in the Ball Room that the sculpture has been switched. (0 XP)
- (Optional) Investigate Hitchstone's claims that the stagehand is trying to kill him +30% Bonus. / Epic: +30% Bonus.
- (Optional) Retrieve the Urn from the Viceregal office +20% Bonus. / Epic: +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Inform Drake Aramon in the Ball Room of how the Urn was treated (0 XP)
- (Optional) Defeat Inkrakos +50% Bonus. / Epic: +50% Bonus. (only available after end fight - see below)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some undisarmable)
- Collapsible floor
- Multiple quest entrances (2)
- Puzzle (optional: puzzle wheel)
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Runes (optional: 6 that require CHA, CON, DEX, INT, STR and WIS checks; Heroic Elite needs a 26 in each)
- Gather your party before venturing forth mechanic
- Multiple instances of Illusionary-spike traps (these do Force damage)
- All Illusionary spikes use WILL saves - Evasion does not apply!
- Spike trap in Illusionarium hallway before the third biome; control box is on the left-hand wall
- Air trap in third Illusionarium hallway; control box is on the arch's central support
- Spike traps in third Illusionarium hallway. No control box; they're disabled by destroying the correct Mark of Shadow.
- Spike traps in the south corridor of the Chapterhouse. No control box.
- Spinning blade trap under theater; control box is to the north, next to the lever.
Tips and Misc
- Useful buffs: acid resist (against Melf's Acid Arrow), resist sonic (against Sonic Blast), resist cold (against Cold Breath), Shield/Nightshield (against Magic Missile), True Seeing.
- Only one party member needs to make it through the Illusionarium and then the Chapterhouse to the ballroom. Once the names have changed on the guest list there, anyone can enter the ballroom directly from the lobby.
- There are several places where a high Jump can avoid fights; Jump ~19, ~25, & ~40 (see below).
- In the Illusionarium, when you kill the Marks of Shadow, any illusionary creatures still associated with that Mark will die and will be added to your kill count.
- If you quickly walk into the third hallway, True Seeing (with Video Post Effects on) will show you the correct Mark of Shadow to destroy once the original starts multiplying. The true Mark of Shadow will remain yellow, while the false marks will appear purple.
- If you use a ranged attack on the original mark in the third hallway before entering the trap activation zone, all the marks will be yellow, but just destroying the mark nearest to the entrance will suffice.
- The Illusionary Fire Giant in the last biome will be healed by the surrounding Marks; however, it's possible to kill him without dealing with the Marks (and their associated guardians). A field will go up between the final corridor and the biome; you can freely pass through it, but weapons, magic, and Illusions cannot. You can use this to your advantage against the giant, running forward, getting in a few whacks, and then back to safety while he swings.
- Going counter-clockwise around the final biome from the entrance, the Marks will be guarded by (effects happen upon hit and climbing on pedestal):
- Illusionary Chain(Movement and attack speed reduced; cannot tumble); Will Save to resist:
- Normal - 18:Failure; 20:Success
- Hard - 20
- Illusionary Winter Wolves
- Illusionary Spikes
- Illusionary Lions
- Illusionary Chain(Movement and attack speed reduced; cannot tumble); Will Save to resist:
- Don't feel obliged to hit the shrine in the Illusionarium before you move to the Chapterhouse - you can return if need be.
- Activating all 6 runes in the Chapterhouse disables the hallway intrusion trap temporarily. That would be the two spawns in the next room (archway and near the statue) and the spike trap. It does not disable the guards in the Chapterhouse. The higher the difficulty, the higher the stat checks for the runes.
- Optional: The path to the right will lead to the optional only available after the end fight - see below.
- The illusionary spike trap after the sculpture and the large runed intrusion trap (before the large room with the model illusions) can be mostly or all avoided. You can travel along by hugging the edge of the room to avoid most damage and find safe spots to heal. Jumping from pillar base to pillar base will avoid all damage.
- You can avoid most of the Chapterhouse guards by jumping up to the upper balcony in the Theater, and traveling from there to the east end of the Display Hall where you can then jump down and exit to the Chapterhouse/Ballroom. Approx. 18 Jump required to get up to the upper tier. Jump from the side rail. The last set of guards, just before the jump down to the door to the final ballroom, will appear causing the exit to be blocked until their death (like it would have been if you had gone through the lower level). Your summoned creatures will spawn the guards.
- If you do need to return to the Chapterhouse for the Private rooms key or for the optional after the end fight, you can Jump up from display to display at the east end of the Display Hall/museum until you get to the top in order to avoid spawning guards. Approx 25 Jump required.
- You can sneak around Illusionary Guards in the main hall of the Chapterhouse to avoid activating them.
- Once you have added Cyan's name to the guestlist, she will appear in the Lobby and begin to walk, very slowly, from there to near the bar and portal where you entered. Speak to her once she arrives there. Completing each recommended optional prevents those targets from joining the end fight. Completing *all* recommended optionals avoids the end fight completely.
- Disguised Tieflings Migris and Malior d'Phiarlan can be discovered among the guests by Spot (you might need a high Spot, 31 seems to be not working), True Seeing, Wisdom (26 Elite), or being a Paladin, however a decent Bluff or Intimidate skill will be needed to lure them to the Library. Migris' DCs are lower than Malior. Hirelings can make the Wisdom check to notice the Tieflings, for example Wyoh can sense Malior on Epic Reaper difficulty.
- You can use Diplomacy on the 'Brainwashed Guards' before luring Tiefling Malior d'Phiarlan into the library and they will leave, completing the optional. If you can't lure Migris/Malior into the library to kill him, bluffing the guards (whose check is lower) will keep them out of the final fight. However, they will still die, preventing you from completing the optional.
- Killing Tiefling Malior d'Phiarlan in the Library without killing any servants completes the 'Free the brainwashed guards without killing them' optional.
- Salvia d'Phiarlan's optional only requires you to go through the first set of Illusionary Guards from the large Mark of Shadow on the wall. 40 Jump can circumvent the mark; takes several jumps to do.
- You can complete the upstairs room optional without going back to the Chapterhouse for the Jeweled Private Room Key (found in the Viceregal office) if you have lockpick / knock for the Private Rooms. Bluff skills are required to 'Talk your way past the guard'. If you just bull your way past him, he'll call *all* the tieflings in the Private Rooms to fight.
- In addition to bulling your way past him, the Tiefling guard will also call (any remaining) tieflings out of the rooms if you get to close to him as he waits for you in the bathroom. You should easily be able to go to the next door, and even fight in the hallway without alerting him, as long as you don't go much closer than the last door.
- Puzzle Wheel - Thaddeus Hitchstone gives you Stage Notes (Inventory Item) when you agree to investigate the stage. It lists the order of the scenes and matching backdrops. Refer to the Stage Notes article for details and solutions. Note that the dial is at the BOTTOM of the wheel.
- The shrines in the upstairs Private Rooms are... toilet paper rolls in the two bathroom stalls.
- The key to the optional Contraband Vault (see below) is always in the chest with the final fight.
Optional After End Boss Fight
- Either before or after the end fight, find Drake Aramon (Master Artificer) at the Lobby end of the main ballroom, and get the Gold Office Key, and also get the Contraband Vault Key from the main end chest (no optionals needed). Get back to the start of the chapter house section, either backtracking through the chapterhouse (see "Jumping" advice, above), or using the side door from the entrance lobby (or Dimension Door, and then retrace the Illusionarium path again. From the start of the chapterhouse section, take the right just before the security runes to get to the office.
- Once you use the Contraband Vault key on the corner door, touching the statue starts the fight. The two chests in the vault are significantly higher level than the quest, dropping level 12 loot on Heroic Elite, and level 27 loot on Epic Hard (So, eligible for +4 tomes).
- Inkrakos is a much higher CR than the rest of the quest: 11 on Normal, 13 on Hard (decreased from 15, possibly after update 8), 17 on Elite, 24 on Epic Normal, 33 on Epic Hard. The loot in the two chests is also higher level. Inkrakos is an evil outsider; resistant to pierce, acid and cold; immune to fire.(Note: you will need to have picked up the Viceregal Office key from Drake Aramon and the Contraband Vault Key from the end chest)
- This quest is generally considered a friendly entry-level challenge for newcomers to epic questing.
- You can run back and forth between the Display Hall and the Theatre to trigger guards for farming scrolls.
- If you're solo don't lure the Servant and Guest to the Library at the same time, becomes a very tough fight.
- As with most Epic quests, the traps become quite lethal on Hard and Elite.
- Marks of Shadow have a reflex save (Lax Coding?)
The Ball Room is full of NPCs, some you might know, some you might not. Here is a list of who is on the party and is not involved in any optional or mandatory objective, in alphabetical order:
- Barrow d'Kundarak
- Brunaccio Patroclus
- Channa d'Cannith
- Delera Omaren IV
- Iridor d'Phiarlan
- Lord Gerald Goodblade
- Graden Wylkes
- Varen Lassite
- Aggression bonus: 95 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 124 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 64 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 78 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- 1 at the end of the Illusionarium
- 1 optional for luring the Tiefling in servant guise out of the Ballroom and into the Library and killing her (found in the Library, requires a Spot or a Wisdom check or True Seeing or being a Paladin and then it requires another Bluff or an Intimidate check)
- 1 optional for luring the Tiefling disguised as a guest out of the Ballroom and into the Library and killing him (found in the Library, requires a Spot or a Wisdom check or True Seeing or being a Paladin and then it requires another Bluff or an Intimidate check)
- 1 locked in the Library (can also be opened by key, the key is in the Library behind a secret door)
- 1 optional for killing Deuce Darly (Elf, found under the stage in the Theatre after solving the Theatre Wheel Puzzle)
- 1 optional for returning Natt Gann's Urn to Drake Aramon
- 1 optional for returning the Illusionary Crystal to Salva d'Phiarlan
- optional for killing the Tieflings in the Private Rooms and the guard (who is a moderately tougher Tiefling in disguise).
- at the end
- 2 optional for killing Inkrakos (Red Abishai, found in the Contraband Vault, the key to the Vault can be obtained only after quest completion)
- Collectables: 34
- Various Spore Pods and Mushrooms
- Flowering Plants (Same as Tangleroot Gorge and Ren Fens collectables)
- Lightning-Split Soarwood can drop in the Private Rooms upstairs.
- In the Illusionarium (9 total)
- Flowering Plant in the second corridor, on the left
- Mushroom in the corner of the second corridor
- Two mushrooms in the third biome, beneath the ramps
- Mushroom in the third corridor, on the right
- Flowering Plant in the third corridor, on the left
- Flowering Plant in fourth corridor, in the planted display
- Alchemy Table in fourth corridor, behind souvenir display
- Flowering Plant in fifth corridor, in the planted display
- In the Chapterhouse (9 total)
- Bookshelf in northwest corridor, in southwest corner
- Bookshelf near the runes
- Cabinet near the runes
- Cabinet in central-southern room
- Cabinet in Viceregal Office
- Alchemy Table in Viceregal Office
- Adventurer's Pack in Viceregal Office
- Rubble beneath the stage
- Cabinet in the upper level of the Display Hall, on the west end
- In the Ballroom (16 total)
- Six Flowering Plants on the upper level around the main room
- Two Flowering Plants in the hallway of the Private Rooms
- Cabinet in first room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Adventurer's Pack in first room on right in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in second room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Cabinet in third room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Adventurer's Pack in third room on the right in the Private Rooms
- Alchemy Table in first room on the left in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in first room on the left in the Private Rooms
- Bookshelf in the Side Hall
- NPC rewards: Standard items, 8 choices
Named Chest Drop
All items are.
- Mask of Tragedy - Helm: , , — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:) (ML:5, Exclusive) (Theater chest, Private Rooms chest)
- Phiarlan Mirror Cloak - Cloak: , , (ML:3) (Private Rooms chest, End chest)
- Phiarlan Spy Dagger - +2 Dagger: , Deception (ML:4) (Private Rooms chest, Salva d'Phiarlan's chest)
- Shimmering Pendant - Necklace: , (ML:3) (Drake Aramon chest in ballroom, Private Rooms chest)
|Heroic DC table|
|Epic DC table|