|The Snitch is the 3rd quest in The Maleficent Cabal .|
|A Small Problem • Partycrashers • The Snitch • Under the Big Top|
Like other taverns in Stormreach, the Golden Wing Inn hosts many shady dealings in its back rooms.
|Requires access to : Phiarlan Carnival|
|Takes place in:||Golden Wing Side Entrance|
|Quest acquired in:||House Phiarlan|
|Free to Play:||No|
A Halfling named Roderic Nettle has been supplying the Maleficent Cabal with equipment. But now, Ochre wants you to pump Nettle for information on the Cabal, beating it from him if necessary.
Nettle is currently in the kitchens of the Golden Wing Inn of the House Phiarlan Enclave. Go through the Golden Wing Kitchen Entrance to avoid alerting him.
- Find and interrogate Roderic Nettle
- Gather the entire party near Roderic Nettle
- Slay Garos
- (Optional) Slay Thassnoss the Mad — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Mandible — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Slay Rusty — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Do not awaken the sleeping dogs — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Get the Death Threat from the mailbox and return it to Mistress Gillea — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Spawning/re-spawning monsters
- Possible point of no return (see Tips)
- Gather your party before venturing forth
- Fire trap in the Incinerator. No control panel; jets are turned on/off with the valve in the center
- Blade trap east of the Incinerator, south corridor; control panel is on the south wall, west (Incinerator side) of the trap
- Fire trap east of the Incinerator, north corridor junction; control panel is on the east wall, between the trap and corridor
- Fire trap in Tanner's Alley, up north ladder; control panel is on the north wall before the corner
- Wind-gust trap in Tanner's Alley; control panel is on the east wall before the trap
Tips and Misc
- A rogue or artificer is desirable, as two nasty fire traps bar progress at different points.
- The end boss, Garos, has DR/Good - holy weapons/ammo help a lot.
- This quest has several valves throughout that are eye-candy only. They will be valves up on pipes that are not selectable.
- Turning the valve on the central platform of the Incinerator will activate fire jets in the lowest area, and, if turned repeatedly, can be used to kill the oozes.
- Thassnoss the Mad may appear south of the Incinerator; you must jump and catch a ladder over a swimming pit and climb up to where he might appear. He might be either directly at the top of the ladder or behind a secret door.
- Mandible may appear through the water tunnel north (northeast of the Incinerator), on a platform with a moss collectable.
- When you reach the room with the four open cisterns:
- You enter via the southwest cistern.
- The northwest cistern leads to a dead end.
- The northeast cistern leads to a shrine, but do not touch the valves if you want to use it! The water level is necessary to reach the ladder that leads to it (and several breakables there), and the swim is an easy one. You must eventually turn the valves to proceed in the quest, but then you lose the ability to reach this shrine.
- The southeast cistern leads to a tall shaft that is un-climbable. Turning the three valves fills this with water, allowing you to proceed.
- This section of the swim tunnels have strong currents. Once you get into the flow, water will help you quickly to the end, where you take short drop and can catch a breathe.
- When you emerge from this swim zone, you will ultimately climb ladders and walk on rooftops to get to the next sections of the quest. Note that, just as you emerge, there is a door under the pond - that is your ultimate goal to proceed.
- The shrines that appear on the map to be at the east end of the courtyard are on the upper level.
- You can stealth past the electrical roof trap and fight (just before the eastern shrines), but then Roderick will not spawn to summon the hell hounds (see below). Stand on boxes or the valve to avoid the electricity during the fight.
- When you come across the wind-gust trap, walk along the pipes.
- If you are having trouble with the hell hounds right after this, lure them onto the roof with the wind trap, let it blow you across the way and shoot the hell-hounds from safety. When doing this trick, make sure to retreat to the far wall - their fire breath will still be able to reach you otherwise.
- The last valve, above the pond, to open the underwater door, will remain locked until you defeat the hell-hounds.
- This swim also involves strong currents that pull you to the next breathing spot, similar to the earlier one.
- Breaking your sneak to pull the lever will not awaken the dogs. After you go through the tunnel, the optional will be completed, and it doesn't matter if others wake - or kill - the dogs, if you just want to send the stealthiest member through while the others wait on the roof.
- You may want to buff before dropping into this water (in the dogs' courtyard) - a hard fight follows.
- The shrines that are shown in the east part of this courtyard do not appear until after the fight.
- Rusty will be found behind a small waterfall and tunnel, after Roderick summons him and then shoos him away. Rusty is a tough hitter but can be easily killed with ranged weapons by luring him into the tunnel you came from and standing close to the wall behind the hole with the ladder (If Rusty gets too close to the hole he will go back outside). The Sealed Letter for Mistress Gillea's optional will be in the destroyed mailbox.
- If you do the optional for Mistress Gillea, you can hand her the letter through the gate from the mailbox side - no need to run back.
- If you have a very high jump (close to the max of 40), you can actually jump up on the roof of the building that leads to the final battle without using the ladder, skipping the second battle with the tieflings.
- Make sure all your members are down in the final courtyard before you approach Roderick! A force-field will appear across the entrance when he summons Garos.* This can actually be a quest-breaker, if the entire/majority of the party is on the wrong side of the ladder once he starts speaking.
- * This has recently been updated so that party members outside the force field can get it to lower by being out of his line of sight. If there are no players for him to see or attack, the force field will lower, allowing members outside of it to enter. Then the field will raise again.
- Mass buffing around Garos during the conversation will actually buff Garos, after which you will fight him.
- Aggression bonus: 62 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 2 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 38 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 49 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 60 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 2 to 5
- One optional for killing Thassnoss the Mad (Troglodyte Caster, doesn't always spawn, found south of the Incinerator; you must jump and catch a ladder over a water pit)
- One optional for killing Mandible (Spider, doesn't always spawn, found north of the Incinerator, through the water tunnel, on a platform with moss)
- One for killing Crateos (Construct)
- One optional for killing Rusty (Rust Monster, found behind a small waterfall and tunnel, after Roderick summons him and then shoos him away)
- One at the end, containing named loot
- Collectables: 6
- Moss south of the Incinerator, up the ladder
- Adventurer's Pack in the same spot, behind a secret door
- Rubble east of the Incinerator, up the south ladder
- Moss in the northern room past the Incinerator
- Adventurer's Pack on the roof above the ladder from the second swim tunnel, in Prospect Lane
- Rubble near the mailbox
- NPC rewards: standard
Named Chest Drop
||Garos' Malice ( )||Short Sword||
||4||The Snitch, Garos' chest (does not drop on epic difficulties)needs verification|
||Noxious Fang ( )||Throwing Dagger||
||4||The Snitch, Mandible's chest (optional named spider)|
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Air Mephit Warrior ( view • )||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Air Mephit ( view • )||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Crateos ( view • )||Construct||Animated Object|
|Gargoyle ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Gargoyle|
|Garos ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Abishai|
|Giant Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Greater Air Mephit ( view • )||OR Summoned by another mephit:||Air Outsider||Mephit|
|Greater Sand Mephit ( view • )||Earth Outsider||Mephit|
|Hellhound ( view • )||Magical Beast||Hellhound|
|Malefic Firebreather ( view • )||Native Outsider||Tiefling|
|Malefic Knife Thrower ( view • )||Native Outsider||Tiefling|
|Malefic Seer ( view • )||Native Outsider||Tiefling|
|Malefic Strongman ( view • )||Native Outsider||Tiefling|
|Mandible ( view • )||Vermin||Spider|
|Ochre Jelly ( view • )||Ooze||Ochre Jelly|
|Rusty ( view • )||Aberration||Rust Monster|
|Thasnoss the Mad ( view • )||Reptilian||Troglodyte|
|Watch Dog ( view • )||Animal||Dog|