Caught in the Web
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
When Ana was revealed as the Thread of the Weave, the Goddess Lolth stole her into the Demonweb. Now is the time to rescue Ana - before Lolth consumes her and her vast magical powers.
|Requires access to : Menace of the Underdark|
|Caught in the Web|
|Takes place in:||The Demonweb|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
|Caught in the Web is the final raid in the Menace of the Underdark .|
|Web of Chaos • The Darkening • City of Portals • The Queen of the Demonweb • Caught in the Web|
- Complete the Menace of the Underdark story arc
- Re-flagging is not required for this raid.
- Find Ana Brabener
- Lead Ana out of the Demonweb
- Do battle with Lolth's Spider form. Destroy the legs.
- Follow Ana Brabener
- (Optional) Help Ana destroy all four artifacts
Spell Wards, random.
Tips and Misc
- Ana's health starts low but increases each time she destroys an artifact. The initial amount is different in each difficulty. The amount of HP gained from an artifact is always 25%.
- There are no static Rest Shrines in this quest.
- Ana can summon shrines anywhere if asked. Summoning a shrine will normally cost Ana some of her health.
- After the 1st Lolth fight, a Resurrection Shrine appears where Ana initially was. You can reach it from anywhere in the raid if you fall into the void and get teleported there.
- During both Lolth fights, Lolth is initially invulnerable. Draining the 1st orb will allow Ana to make her vulnerable (indicated by a shining beam directed towards Lolth). Bringing Ana close to the last orb will make Lolth vulnerable without the need to drain the orb.
- During both Lolth fights, if you die on the island where Lolth is, you get a resurrection timer (hard and elite only).
- Ana can be harmed by anything. However, each time she is harmed she uses a mage armor animation to restore her HP a little lower than her previous HP total. This means that Ana will lose HP in small amounts.
- If Ana's HP reach 0, Lolth's hand will take her and place her at the initial spot surrounded by a mistress and drow souls. This can be prevented if the person that is Ana's shield is near her and alive.
- During both Lolth fights, there are teleporting barriers preventing you from avoiding the fight. Touching one of those silvery barriers will drain one level and teleport you to Ana's initial spot. The 1st barrier is at the start of the second north-east island (where a mistress, 2 driders and 2 draegloths were). The 2nd barrier is just behind the barrier that the portal keepers maintain (so if you kill all the keepers and try to escape, you'll be teleported all the way back). The barriers go away when Lolth goes away making both Lolth fights mandatory.
- Lolth fights can be made easier with a tank. See Lolth's Immanence for her attack details.
- When Ana steps or gets near a new island, trash spawn. The party should always remember that and stay close to the start of the island while waiting for Ana.
- Even if Ana is told not to fight, her AI is telling her to go towards the nearest monster and try to attack (without actually attacking). She will stop when she reaches the effect radius of her "shield" but this can make talking to her really hard when there are nearby monsters because she will always walk away from you trying to run towards the monsters.
- On the 2 optional artifact islands, the purple named guardian will not spawn until Ana is through the portal. The orb is colored red indicating that Ana cannot drain it while the guardian is alive. The portal back will disappear when the guardian arrives and appears again when it's dead. On Normal and Hard difficulties, additional trash only starts spawning when the guardian spawns. On Elite, trash starts spawning when the first player enters the portal.
- Ana will drain the orbs if she is set on artifact finding mode and near the orbs. However, since she will also try to run towards monsters, it's easier to kill everything in the general vicinity before trying to drain the orbs.
- You can complete the optional of draining the orbs even after quest completion. However, the extra chests will only appear at quest completion.
- Traps only spawn on the person that has Lolth's aggro. When someone realizes that he/she is that person, it's best to move away from the rest of the party and try to lose her aggro (either by having someone else grab it, or by moving far away from her at the 2nd Lolth fight).
- At the end fight, 2 or 3 portal keepers initially appear. As long as at least a portal keeper is alive, there is a barrier guarding the exit (in addition to the barrier from Lolth that teleports you back to the north-east island). The portal keepers that can spawn are:
- Exalted Drider up the web to the right.
- Soulherd Drider at the left side of the exit island.
- Mistress of Agonies at the right side of the exit island.
- Cursed Bebilith in the middle of Lolth island.
- Ascended Necromancer to the far left of Lolth island.
- Goristro to the right side of Lolth island.
- Fiendish Spider to the far right of Lolth island.
- (one more)
- Killing a portal keeper will cause all nearby monsters to become portal keepers.
- The portal keepers are shown on the map with a red dot.
- While at least 2 spawned portal keepers (portal keepers that did not become portal keepers by the nearby execution of a portal keeper) are alive, no additional keepers spawn and this is the only certain thing.
- When spawned portal keepers are less than 2, there is a chance that a new portal keeper will spawn within 10-15 seconds. The portal keeper spawn mechanic is possibly bugged in the following ways:
- When you kill a spawned portal keeper and that reduced the number of spawned keepers to 1 or 0, but there are still alive created keepers, the new portal keeper may be queued to spawn and have the timer (10-15 secs) count down, but he may not actually spawn until immediately after the last keeper is dead.
- When you kill the last portal keeper, 3 new ones may spawn instead of 2.
- When you leave 1 portal keeper alive, the new one may not be queued to spawn until after you kill it.
- When a new portal keeper is about to arrive, trash respawns at the 3rd to last island (also known as staging island). A new portal keeper will also spawn with some trash by its side.
- The safest tactic is to leave 2 keepers alive and kill them at the same time (after you kill the trash around them of course).
- If during the Leg phase you don't manage to kill legs and attract Lolth's attention, she might aggro on Ana and if she is too far away she will have Bebilith Souls spawned on her.
- Clear out the trash mobs and then talk to Ana.
- Tell Ana not to fight and then have her drain the orb. After the orb is drained, make sure you do not have Lolth's aggro and move Ana to the island you were previously on. Do not go too far away or trash will spawn. Leave Ana there and head back to the fight. As long as people have Lolth's attention, Ana will be safe.
- Melees move in on Lolth and begin beating on her. As long as the tank has Lolth's aggro everyone is safe from her eye beams. When Lolth starts her artifact attack, it's best for the whole party to hide just below the spot where Ana initially was. If the melees don't want to hide, the spell casters at least should to avoid any random spell point drains. So, watch Lolth's moves carefully and you won't have your spell points drained.
- Leg Phase: You must slay around 8 legs, which upon death turn into Bebilith Souls. You can see where the leg is about to pop up if you look at the ground. Must focus on legs one at a time because if the leg doesn't die and goes back into the ground it fully heals itself. The safest strategy is to go Leg then Bebilith until all the legs are down.
- Lolth Returns. Beat her down again.
- Hand Appears: Someone self-sufficient, preferably immune to knockdown should kite this. If the hand loses sight of the kiter, it will appear elsewhere. Grab aggro, stay in range and run around while the rest of the party fights the spiders on the islands. When the party is safe 2 islands away, you can go join them and the hand will leave.
- The hand is invulnerable (it can be damaged, but instantly regenerates if damaged much) can be Intimidated away from the party with a successful intimidate check (Blade Barrier. If you lack both spell casting and intimidate, you can use certain destiny abilities such as Orchid Blossom from Grandmaster or Wild Shots from Shiradi's. ). If you lack intimidate, you can damage it via any untyped/force spell damage such as
- Retreat Phase: Begin by going west to where Ana's guardian was for the Lolth fight and start making your way through the Demonweb. Keep in mind that the trash spawns when Ana is on the island where they appear so keep Ana around the back of the group. Ana's guardian can use Ana to spawn the trash and then take her way back and leave her there while the group fights. It takes longer because you then have to retrieve her, but it's safer. Eventually you will run into a portal for one of the optionals.
- (Optional) Fight the Glabrezu, Malizoc the Heinous. When you step through the portal note the spikes on the ceiling as the Glabrezu will hit the party with Anti-Gravity. If on Elite: Before Ana goes in, have someone go in and kite the trash around. Then send Ana in and have the group focus on the purple without thinking about the trash. If on Normal/Hard: Whole group goes in and focuses on purple named. You can't really protect Ana so her guardian should just try to keep her out of groups. When it dies bring Ana up to the orb so she begins draining it.
- Retreat Phase: Keep on travelling through the Demonweb until you eventually end up on an island that is filled with Drow Priests. One of the best ways to deal with this is to fight at the bottom of the island where the Exalted Driders spawn and let the priests slowly come to you.
- (Optional) Fight the Bebilith, Chelicera. Same set up as the Glabrezu fight except you will not be affected by Anti-Gravity this time. Bug: The exit portal in CitW can fail to spawn. If Ana's babysitter has a long-jump capability, it may be possible to float to a nearby island on the main map and cause her to teleport, otherwise the raid will be incompletable, since Ana is stuck on the island.
- End Fight Phase: It consists of the last 3 islands.
- Kill the trash as usual on the 3rd to last island.
- You stage on the 3rd to last island. Take Ana half way up to the web to spawn Lolth and the portal keepers. This means Ana's guardian has now Lolth aggro. Take Ana back down staying away from the rest of the party (to avoid Spell Wards in the middle of the party) and keep running back to the 4th to last island to lose Lolth's aggro. Park Ana down there and return to the staging island.
- It's time to make sure the portal keepers will not bother you while you're fighting Lolth. You only need the north half of Lolth's island to fight Lolth and the middle of Lolth's island to drain the orb. So, the party needs to kill any monster that spawns or respawns near those areas. Keeping in mind the spawn locations of the portal keepers and the rules that if less than 2, a new one may spawn, you want to force some specific portal keepers to be alive. The Ascended Necromancer, the Mistress of Agonies and the Soulherd Drider are good choices to leave alive because they spawn far away from the Lolth fight.
- Someone that can handle some Lolth beams should go up the web and aggro the monsters that need aggroing. Then go back down the web to bring the mobs to the party. Keep in mind that you now have Lolth's aggro and you may have Spell Wards spawn on you. Stay away from the party and go even further back to the web leading to where Ana is to lose Lolth's aggro. Take care not to bring any Portal Keepers with you or souls will start spawning on Ana. If you still have portal keepers aggroed on you, stay on the staging island despite the Spell Wards that appear. Goristros will get blocked on the ramp and can knock you off, so do not melee them on the ramp and range them instead.
- When the portal keepers that suit you are left alive and no more trash spawns, it's time to drain the last orb. Have a Lolth tank take Lolth's aggro so the souls and eye beams will not be on Ana or her guardian. The tank needs to maintain Lolth's aggro while Ana drains the orb so if the tank is not self-sufficient, have a healer go up as well. Ana's guardian can hide behind a rock near the artifact and have Ana drain it uninterrupted.
- When the artifact is drained, it's time to prepare to fight Lolth. Get Ana back down and spawn a shrine if needed. The tank should also get back down and lose Lolth's aggro by moving even further to the webs of the 4th to last island. When the party is buffed and ready, get Ana back down to the 4th to last island where she can wait for the duration of the fight.
- Lolth has now more CR and thus is more deadly. Melees should go up against her making sure their dice are rolling (try to aim at her bellybutton). The same tactics apply. As long as the tank has aggro, everyone is safe from her eye beams. When she tries to perform an orb attack, everyone hides. Easy safe spots to hide are behind the rock where the artifact was. For the healer and the melees, there is a crack in the rocks just behind the place they are fighting. It's easy and fast to get to it once you know where it is which is good because you want to be near the melees if you're the healer and the melees want to maintain Lolth's aggro by hitting her frequently.
- When Lolth goes away, find the remaining portal keepers and prepare them. Ana's guardian should go fetch Ana and run against the barrier blocking the exit. It's best if the party fights the portal keepers and trash away from the exit island since Ana will be there. When the portal keepers are ready, kill them at the same time and get Ana through the barrier. Once Ana is through, the barrier will stay open no matter how many keepers spawn.
- Note: Do not block Ana's path after her dialogue with Lolth as it can break the quest and prevent you from getting your hard earned completion.
- Chests: 1-6 chests at completion.
- One chest guaranteed for completion
- One chest for slaying the optional purple named Glabrezu raid boss near the optional additional artifact orb
- One chest for slaying the optional purple named Bebilith raid boss near the optional additional artifact orb
- Two chests for completing the optional of draining all orbs
- One chest if Ana's health is above 80% at the end
- NPC rewards: Standard
Named Chest Drop
All weapons on this list are Bound to Character on Acquire, have 2.5 times the base damage, and ML 23. Many also have a better critical profile (expanded threat or increased multiplier).
- Commendation of Heroism (15%/30%/100% on N/H/E in the two non-boss chests ( ), low drop rate in the other 4 optional boss chests)
- Violet Gelatinous Cube-let (BtC): Any Difficulty, Very rare
1These weapons have a better critical profile (expanded threat or increased multiplier) without Keen, so Improved Critical can be used to double the stated threat range.
Note: All of the above relic weapons can have the Planar Conflux property added to them by acquiring 3 Commendation of Heroism and speaking to Mikrom Sum, the Purple Dragon Knights favor vendor in Eveningstar. Requires 375 Purple Dragon Knights favor. This allows them to become a part of any of the three Planar Focus Sets.
|Chelicera (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Hand of the Goddess (view)||Aberration||Drider|
|Leg of the Goddess (view)||Aberration||Drider|
|Lolth's Immanence (view)||Aberration||Drider|
|Malizoc the Heinous (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Bebilith Soul (NoPic)||Undead||Demon|
|Cursed Bebilith (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Exalted Drider (NoPic)||Aberration||Drider|
|Mistress of Agonies (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Ascended Necromancer (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Demonweb Drider (NoPic)||Aberration||Drider|
|Goristro (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Hezrou (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Master Spy (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Soulherd Drider (view)||Aberration||Drider|
Patch and closure history
The raid was temporarily unavailable as of its launch due to player complaints about the beta version.
|Originally Posted by (former developer) |
This is a result of beta feedback, not any new problems found with the raid.The raid's being delayed to make it more fun.
With Update 14 Patch 1, it was open for the 1st time on live. However, a couple days after, it went unavailable again and didn't become available until Patch 2. This is suspected due to raid timer being broken.
- Removed an entrance to Caught in the Web from the Demonweb explorer area. Players should use the entrance in the Eveningstar Cavern to access the raid.
- The raid timer now operates properly.
- Fixed several issues with portal keepers that could cause the raid to break.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Lolth from moving to a new phase of the raid when she was damaged too quickly.
- Ana will now respawn at the altar within 15 seconds of becoming lost in the Demonweb.
- Fixed several stuck spots.
- Lolth's leg now has a proper focus orb.
- Lolth has a slightly different look.
- The end portal barrier is now much better about staying down once Ana escapes.
- Fixed the goddess of chaos. Again.
- Ana is now immune to slippery surfaces and will not fall off the bridge near the loot area of the raid.
- Lolth no longer tries to spawn monsters on falling players.
- Portal Keepers will no longer try to hide out in the void of the Demonweb.
- Ana no longer tries to follow unreachable people to her doom
- Lolth's hand now moves more erratically - however the goddess of Chaos gets bored easily and the hand may leave quickly.