Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
A terrible scourge stalks the subterranean world of the Waterworks...twisted entities from beyond space and time.
|Takes place in:||Waterworks - Side Entrance|
|Bestowed by:||Guard Branson|
|NPC contact:||Guard Branson|
|Quest acquired in:||The Harbor|
|Patron:||The Coin Lords|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Note: Although this quest uses the same map as The Waterworks, the quest entrance is via a sewer cover located northwest across the water from the entrance to that area.
The Gnashtooth and Tunnelworm kobolds were at war with one another...until now. Invading forces from Xoriat plan to destroy Stormreach and wreak havoc across Xen'drik. They gather their warriors inside the Waterworks, using human cultists to open dark portals to their world. You must enter the Waterworks to stop the invaders.
- Kill Elder Beholder maintaining the Gnashtooth locus
- Kill Elder Beholders maintaining the central loci
- Kill Elder Beholder maintaining the Tunnelworm locus
- Slay the demons' commander
- (Optional) Slay 40 outsiders +20% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 80 outsiders +30% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 120 outsiders +40% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay 150 outsiders +50% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Chaos Orbs
- Spawning/respawning monsters
Tips and Misc
This is an exceedingly difficult quest for the unprepared. There are at least 10 beholders that must be slain, including some that can't be ranged, surrounded by portals that respawn Flensers, Hounds and the like. Death to at least one in your party is likely; someone that can raise the dead is almost a necessity. Chaos orbs move around near objectives (like the ones in The Xorian Cipher) which throw random spells if they come too close to you. Beholders abound, as noted, dispelling your buffs and casting Finger of Death and Disintegrate on you. The slippery ground caused from Ice Flensers' area cold effects make a bad situation worse.
Deathblock items, Negative Energy Absorption items (Beholder Optic Nerves, Silver Flame Nugget), Freedom of Movement, Greater Cold resistance items, and a caster with Restoration or Greater Restoration to restore negative levels are extremely helpful. Dismissal and Banishment are very useful in this quest as well since nearly all of the mobs are extraplanar.
Casters who can switch to an undead form are not affected by negative level drain and can even be healed by negative energy spells cast by a beholder.
Two Elder Beholders are maintaining the central loci: first in the alcove at the very bottom of the map (southwest location), second one in the easternmost alcove which is reached by jumping down in a large chamber. You need to kill both.
See the article on Beholders for tactical options and additional options for protection.
The quest-map is based on the Waterworks Wilderness adventure area, but there are no secret doors or underwater passages. You start in the first "rare" room (troglodyte) to the north, and the Waterworks' entry hall and lower-east "rust monster" hall both contain objectives, and several doors that are empty in Waterworks now contain encounters. If you have run the Waterworks story arc, it will be difficult to get lost and easy to find the objectives.
A single shrine is located in the same place as found in the Waterworks wilderness adventure area, about half-way up the east wing.
To get the optional for 150 kills requires waiting out respawns before completion.
- Aggression bonus: 68 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 88 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 120 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 1 placed randomly, 1 after end fight.
- At the end chest, certain number of Outsider Tokens are given to players as chest loot, according to what commander they have defeated. Tokens are not guaranteed on casual.
- Grokien (Beholder) = 5 tokens
- Boktar (Elder Beholder) = 5 tokens
- Tyrzza (Thaarak Hound) = 2 tokens
- Prysuul (Flesh Render) = 2 tokens
- Garzuul (Fire Reaver) = 3 tokens
- Tharkuul (Ice Flenser) = 3 tokens
- They bind to character on acquire, but you can pass yours to one of your party members before they are looted from chest.
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
Depending on the boss, the end chest can contain some of the following items:
- Beholder Optic Nerves - Necklace: , , — 8 Charges (Recharged/Day:8)
- Garzuul's Bane - +5 Greataxe 1.25[1d12]: , ,
- Prysuul's Bane - +5 Bastard sword 1.25[1d10]: , ,
- Tharkuul's Bane - +5 Sickle 1.25[2d4]: , ,
- Tyrzza's Bane - +5 Rapier 1.25[1d6]: , , ,
- Outsider Tokens (up to 5)
- Demonic Breastplate - Breastplate: ML10, , , ,
- Docent of Defense - Docent: ML10, , , with Sapphire of
- Ring of Balance - Ring: ML11, Stability, , — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), (pre-filled with )
- Scepter of Healing - ML10, Heavy mace: 1.25[1d8], WIS or CHA mod for Attack and Damage, , , ,
|Boktar the Elder Beholder (view)||Aberration||Beholder|
|Garzuul (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Prysuul (NoPic)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Tharkuul (NoPic)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Tyrzza (NoPic)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Elder Beholder (view)||Aberration||Beholder|
|Fire Reaver (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Flesh Render (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Ice Flenser (view)||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Siren of Insanity (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Thaarak Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Zealot of Madness (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|