The Xorian Cipher
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
The temple has been turned into a conduit for Xoriat to enter the Material Plane. Orbs of pure madness roam the hallways, punishing all who touch them.
|The Xorian Cipher|
|Takes place in:||Temple of Madness|
|Bestowed by:||Gatekeeper Chulkash|
|NPC contact:||Gatekeeper Chulkash|
|Quest acquired in:||House Jorasco|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Chulkash, an aspirant druid of the Gatekeepers, seeks to decipher an ancient prophecy written in the mad language of the daelkyr. The key to this prophecy is the Xorian Cipher, an artifact held by the cultists of Xoriat in a ruined temple. Find the temple, retrieve the Xoriat Cipher, and destroy whatever plans the Xoriat cultists have set into motion.
- Slay the Urdak brothers
- Slay Angarta Markud
- Slay Hound of Madness
- Acquire the Xorian Cipher
- (Optional) Find and enter the Vault +5% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Deathfang +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Use the runes to seal the rifts +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Mastark Markud +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Urtyan Markud +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Slay Vault Guardian +15% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed)
- Chaos Orbs
- Collapsible floor
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Runes (optional: require CHA, INT and WIS checks)
- Requires extra player(s)/hireling(s) (mandatory: 4 pressure plates have to be stepped on simultaneously)
- Three inside the vault: Force on north (two boxes), Spikes on east, Sonic on south (two boxes)
- Three on the corridor after the puzzle. In order: Blade, Force, and Spikes
Tips and Misc
The entrance to this quest is in the small wilderness area for the quest The Path to Madness. You must first complete it then click on the altar to enter.
Higher difficulties will contain more Arcane Skeletons than lower difficulties.
Inside this quest, a lot of chaos orbs are moving around. Spawning of balls can be stopped by deactivating runes nearby. You need to deactivate the runes with Intelligence of 20-24, Wisdom of 20-22, and Charisma of 20.
You will also want a rogue with good trap skills for this quest (Trap DCs). Anytime you have one of the three keys, you can unlock a corresponding treasure chest in the treasure room. However all the chests are trapped: one trap (and box) on the east chest, and two traps (and boxes) on each of the north and south chests.
There is one - and only one - Shrine inside the whole quest. Whether or not your group can reach this shrine is a crucial part of your adventure here.
In the first large room, there is an altar that is in front of the portal. If Turn Undead is used near said altar, all undead in the room will be subjected to turn undead. (Verify please http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=299817&highlight=xorian+cipher.)
There is a rune (and skeleton archers) on the upper level on the right side of the first large room. There does not appear to be a way up to that level but you can access it from the upper level on the left hand side via a transparent and hard to see "sky bridge".
Once everyone has crossed the pressure-activated door locks on both sides, the way-blocks will reappear again and will NOT disappear until the puzzle is solved. This means if the puzzle can't get done, no one can get to the shrine and no one can get out. So despite the side with the named skeletons is seemingly more dangerous, the puzzle room is actually the real fight. A 4-2 split (4 people for the puzzle room, 2 stay in the bottom) is recommended for Elite and/or Hard. Also, there is an INT rune inside the puzzle room.
The NE room has a collapsing floor and a gate that closes permanently when it does collapse. Stay to the left when entering the room and wait for everyone to enter, or you risk losing the treasure chest here.
Feeling the Pressure
- At one point, you will have to break the group up. In two parallel corridors there are two sets of two (FOUR total) pressure-activated door locks that each requires a person to stand on it. (A hireling, summoned monster, or enemy works too, as explained below).
- Once past these doors, the characters in the right side corridor will throw a lever to unlock a door on the left side. The left-side characters will have to finish a mob-occupied puzzle which unlocks the path to the shrine, while the right side group gets the three named skeleton warriors that are pretty nasty. Each side also has purple chaos blobs running around just to make it more interesting.
- You can use this technique if you have a small group with hirelings or pets. Station the hirelings/pets on the right side corridor, and have your party gather on the left side. When the path is clear, run up the stairs and look down through the bars into the chamber below. Instruct your hireling/pet to use the lever; this will open the door for you to enter the chamber with the puzzle. You can then summon it to your side even though the blocks would prevent it walking to you. Solve the puzzle and then continue to the room with the three named skeletons.
- You can solo the quest by using a normal hireling and two Gold Seal hirelings, to get around the one-hireling limit. (They can also help with the three types of runes.) Alternatively, you can try to lure an enemy on to a pad and paralyze it there.
- Characters with Summons spells can solo this dungeon without Gold Seal hirelings. (This includes Artificers with the Flame Turret spell). To cover all four pressure pads, station a hireling and class-controlled pet (Pale Master's Skeletal Knight, Druid's Wolf Companion, or Artificer's Iron Defender) on the right hand corridor pads, while you go to the left corridor. Stand on one pad and summon a monster directly on to the other pad; or, if your summons appears where you are standing, run to the other pad yourself.
- Aggression bonus: 46 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 54 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 70 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 4 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 7 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 25 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 32 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 40 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 6
- 1 in the treasure vault, behind the secret door
- 3 trapped and behind locked doors in the treasure vault (the doors are opened by key only)
- 1 past the trapped hallway and the collapsible floor
- 1 at the end for killing the Hound of Madness (Thaarak Hound)
- Collectables: 5
- Alchemy Table between the two secret doors leading to the treasure room
- Crude Altars in each side room
- Mushroom after the collapsing floor, near the chest with the green key
- Mushroom in the same room, upper floor, in the N niche
- NPC rewards: Random Item
Named Chest Drop
- Chaos Band - Ring: , with , (Iron key room)
- Chaosgarde - Bracers: , , , , requires Lawful alignment or UMD:20 (Green key room)
- Planar Gird - Belt: — 1 Charges (Recharged/Day:1), (Green key room)
- Reaver's Ring - Ring: , , - Sapphire of (Iron key room)
- Sign of Xoriat - Necklace: — 3 Charges (Recharged/Day:3), , , , Required Trait: Chaotic or UMD 20 (End chest)
- Thaarak Fang - Trinket: - Topaz of , , (End chest)
|Boneshrieker Harrier (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Hound of Madness (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Angarta Markud (NoPic)||Aberration||Drow Scorpion|
|Corilyan Urdak (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Lornatch Urdak (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Mastark Markud (NoPic)||Aberration||Drow Scorpion|
|Sarmato Urdak (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Urtyan Markud (NoPic)||Aberration||Drow Scorpion|
|Boneshrieker Legionnaire (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Boneshrieker Savant (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Thaarak Hound (view)||Evil Outsider||Hellhound|
|Vault Guardian (wraith) (view)||Undead||Wraith|
|Xorian Fanatic (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|
|Zealot of Madness (view)||Elf||Drow Elf|