Eyes of Stone
|Eyes of Stone|
|Takes place in:||Lordsmarch Plaza|
|Bestowed by:||Tollis Kalmor|
|NPC contact:||Tollis Kalmor|
|Quest acquired in:||Lordsmarch Plaza|
|Patron:||The Coin Lords|
|Free to Play:||Yes|
Tensions between Stormreach and Droaam have come to a head. The Coin Lords have ordered the arrest of Hesstess, the medusa ambassador. You have been told to enter Lordsmarch Palace under the cover of night to confront the medusa once and for all. Speak to Tollis Kalmor, Captain of the Watch, when you are ready to begin.
- This is the third quest in the chain, and requires both Diplomatic Impunity and Frame Work to be completed (in that order) to enter the quest.
- Rescue the Coin Lords
- Speak with Coin Lord Yorrick Amanatu
- Find a way into the medusa's lair
- Slay Hesstess the medusa
- (Optional) Free the petrified guards (Free 12) — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Find the Stone-to-Flesh Salve — Bonus (10%): Heroic
- (Optional) Slay Mangle the Troll — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Close the secret entrance into the palace — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Use the Stone-to-Flesh Salve to free a Coin Lord (No XP)
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, some don't require rogue skills to be disarmed)
- Point of no return
- Overlapping floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Randomly placed quest item (optional: Salve)
- Several cold traps in Archives, which are activated when fire is detected (includes exploding barrels as well as fire spells); boxes are between the bookcases along either side of the wall.
Tips and Misc
- You cannot do this quest - not even to enter it for the XP and the chest loot - until you have completed both Diplomatic Impunity and Frame Work.
- Finding the salve is listed as an optional because you do not need it to complete the Rescue the Coin Lords main objective, provided you have the Stone to Flesh spell or items such as the Scepter of the Fleshweaver from Frame Work.
- A cohesive party can complete this quest VERY quickly by using invisibility and bypassing LOTS of mobs.
- At the quest's start, you appear in a private instance of the Lordsmarch Plaza. Speak to Tollis in the plaza, and go west to get to the Lordsmarch Palace. Kill any Droaam forces that attack.
- Speak to the NPC closest to you as you enter (on your left), which opens the gated door west to the Library and the Archivist. (Note: If you have Stone to Flesh spells or items, you can skip this area and head southward.)
- The shrine which appears on the map is on the second floor, in the Upper Chamber, and not accessible until later in the quest.
- In the Archive, watch out for the cold traps throughout, which act as fire suppression systems from the many kobold attackers carrying explosive barrels, as well as stand alone explosive barrels throughout. The cold traps affect enemies as well, so destroying a barrel can damage masses of enemies from both explosions and the cold traps at once.
- A strongbox containing loot and a Stone to Flesh salve (20 charges) is located randomly in the Archives. There are two or more guards that have been turned to stone here, also scattered randomly in the Archives. To use the Salve, place it on your toolbar, target the NPC and click the item on the toolbar. There is a 5 second cool down between uses.
- Head south "to the Lower Offices". Three Stoned guards are in this area. Head upstairs to the Coin Lord's quarters.
- An air elemental-like magic barrier blocks your way to the Upper Audience Chamber (located above the main hall). You can enter the rooms via the main doors, or there are hidden doors that connect the five rooms to each other via passageways, with a locked chest between the southern two rooms.
- To proceed in the quest, you MUST kill the four bosses that guard the Stoned Coin Lords and speak to Yorrick Amanatu. Clockwise, they are...
- East side, northern door: Valkash (Water Mage) and Varen Lassite (Coin Lord).
- East side, southern door: Ikarom (Air Mage) and Delera Omaren IV (Coin Lord).
- Southeast: This room has a lever hidden under a desk; it opens a wall that hides the door to the Upper Chamber.
- Southwest: Ugarta (Earth Mage) and Graden Wylkes (Coin Lord).
- West: Seraz (Fire Mage) and Yorrick Amanatu (Coin Lord). You must un-petrify him and speak to him to advance the quest.
- You can optionally restore the three other Coin Lords after killing off the Lord's keepers. This activates the main doors to the Upper Audience Chamber.
- Proceed to the Upper Chamber. A shrine is to the left (west), and the entrance the Upper Plaza is to your right (east). Some Stoned guards and enemies also appear here. You can choose to jump down to the lower hall to restore three other Stoned guards, then return through the Lower Offices.
- Head east to the Upper Plaza, where more enemies and Stoned guards appear. Pull the Courtyard Gate lever located in front of you as you enter this area. Beware the trap in the southwest. Yorn Marish, to the south, tells you to go to the Maintenance Room, near the Refectory, to find Hesstess.
- For the troll optional, head up the southeast stairs to the Registrar of Magical Vehicles. Kill Mangle the Troll (red-named) and loot his chest.
- To get to the Refectory, go across the plaza to the northeast corner and up the stairs there.
- Inside the Refectory, destroy the kobolds and head north to the enemy's tunnel entrance. To destroy the tunnel, kill the kobolds near the tunnel entrance so that when they explode, they collapse the tunnel. Three kills completes this task. Kobolds will continue to spawn out of the tunnel, slowly, until you collapse it. A Stoned guard is also here to be revived.
- Go back to the main refectory room and head west, then turn right (north) to the Maintenance Room. A shrine is here. Use it or lose it, as the end-game fight is next.
- To the left (south) is only a quick fight and one more Stoned Guard.
- Head up the ladder to the left of the shrine to the Narrow Channel. You cannot get back from this point without Dimension Door.
- You will appear in a lavish throne room. Two Stoned guards are here, which you can free to help in your fight and will likely complete the rescue of all Stoned guards. Hesstess will speak briefly before fighting, giving you a short time to un-petrify them.
- Hesstess (as with all medusas in the Attack on Stormreach quest chain) will emit a telltale sound before she uses her Petrifying Gaze. Listen for a very loud rattle! She assaults you with a longbow and a magic stunning touch attack.
- Droaam skirmishers will keep respawning until the Medusa is dead.
- There are two levers in the final room and the one northwest opens a large wall mirror on the western wall for about 30 seconds. Luring the Medusa near it will trick her into petrifying herself. You have a limited time to strike her before she breaks out. The mirror can be used multiple times.
- Medusas are vulnerable to Monstrous Humanoid Bane weapons.
- Warforged are immune to the medusa's Petrifying Gaze.
- Pale Masters in an undead form are not immune to the medusa's Petrifying Gaze.
- Devious bonus: >=119 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 373 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 6 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 8 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 10 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 6 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 8 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 10 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 71 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 93 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 114 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 1 locked behind a secret door in the Coin Lords chambers
- 1 optional for killing Mangle (Troll, found south of the main plaza)
- 1 at the end for killing Hesstess (Medusa)
- Collectables: 9
- 3 Bookshelves, 1 Cabinet, 1 Mold in the archives
- Bookshelf in the SE office of the lower offices
- Bookshelf in the registrar of magical vehicles (with Mangle)
- Fungus in the refectory, near the tunnel
- Cabinet in the final room
- NPC rewards: Standard