The Prison of the Planes
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Beneath the ruined observatory is an ancient giantish complex. At first glance, it is inactive and bereft of prisoners. But is it, really?
|Requires access to : Ruins of Gianthold|
|The Prison of the Planes|
|Epic XP:||Return to Prison of the Planes|
|Takes place in:||The Prison of the Planes|
|Bestowed by:||Nimbus Ar'Yorg|
|NPC contact:||Nimbus Ar'Yorg|
|Quest acquired in:||Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
Commander Nimbus is leading efforts to search for ancient treasure in the complex beneath an ancient orrery of Gianthold. He wishes to offer what is found to the Stormreaver, in fealty, and has invited to help join the search. Meet him beneath the old orrery, in the Prison of the Planes.
- Completing this quest will make you a member of the Storm's Eye Brigade and you will be able to teleport out of Gianthold using the first Port option. This is one of three Brigades you must join in order to flag for Gianthold Tor and the Reaver's Fate raid.
- This quest requires a hireling or second player to pull levers while the other one fights the prisoners in each cell.
- Speak with Nimbus ar'Yorg
- Explore the area for anything of value
- Access the Dal Quor chamber
- Access the Warden's Chamber
- Investigate the control panel
- Investigate the Dal Quor chamber
- Fill the Dal Quor chamber receptors
- Activate the portal to Dal Quor
- Report back to Nimbus
- (Optional) Pass the Daanvi prisoner's challenge: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Dolurrh: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Fernia: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Lamannia: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Mabar: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Risia: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Shavarath: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat the prisoners from Xoriat: +10% Bonus.
What to Expect
- Traps (fixed, undisarmable)
- Overlapping floors
- Spawning/respawning monsters
- Puzzle (mandatory: lever puzzle)
- Requires extra player(s)/hireling(s) (mandatory: 1 person to stay outside each room and pull a lever while the rest of the party stays inside the room)
- Gates inside this quest can hurt you with lightning damage.
Tips and Misc
First - Talk to Nimbus to start the quest. Buff up and start clearing the hallways that ramp up to the top of the prison. You are heading for the top room. Enemies you will meet on the way include dwarves (Gold Clerics, Gold Fighters), humans (Zakya archers) and Rakshasas. Enemy casters use Symbol of Flame, boiling blood, inflict wounds, cold shield, Magic Missile. You can ignore these at this time and kill them later, but it makes the quest much easier if you clear as you go up.
On the way up, in the second room to the left (Irian) filled with Zakya guards, find the Warden's Note at the back of the room on the floor with the code for the Warden’s levers. (The Note is in the back left corner of the room, behind the pile of rubble, and will not be targetable with Q/Select Interactable hotkeys.) It contains instructions needed later regarding the position of four levers in a combination of down and up. Once you have read the scroll, the text from it will appear in general chat, or type it into party chat for easy reference. The sequence is random each time so you will need to look at the scroll each time you run the quest. You will also pass a room with a campfire with four guys who do not attack at this time.
Second - At the top of the hallways is a room with a dwarf outside. Pick the door (Open Lock DC: 50) or send a diplomacy, bluff or intimidate person back down to the room with the camp. With a decent skill in one of those, you can get the key from the leader. If you fail the check, you will have to kill him and his mates and get the key that way. (Please help by contributing info on the required DC.)
In the top room on the back wall, there are four dials and a valve. As soon as the first player crosses the room towards the dials, the doors will close and the Undead Warden (a giant skeleton) will appear, so try and enter together. Kill the Warden. Web works well if you want him to stay still, because giant skeletons have terrible reflex saves.
The dials start in position with all four facing Down. Place the levers in the correct spots (according to the Warden's scroll that you read earlier - refer to your chat log) and turn the valve. The force shields guarding the central chamber will drop. The lever on the right hand wall will be used later on.
Third - Head down to the bottom of the central column and grab the loose orb (within a socket) at the base of the ramp - quest item #1 on the map. Move up the ramp and choose which rooms the party will tackle to collect the orbs.
You must fight the prisoners in the prison cells to gather orbs for the final room. Six orbs are required for the last room; each room will need one orb to open and give two orbs when finished, so at least five rooms must be completed. Two chests drop randomly in the prison cells and each chest has a chance at a unique random loot drop. It doesn't matter which rooms are done; it is a matter of collecting enough orbs and/or finding the two loot chests.
Put one orb into the Ancient Receptor at the door to the room. Leave one person outside at the lever while everyone else goes into the room. Buff as necessary according to the type of attack. Have the person outside pull the lever; they will be shut out while everyone else battles the bad guys. When the prisoners have been killed, check whether a chest has popped in the room, and collect the two orbs from the back of each room. Move on to the next cell.
Each prison cell is marked with a symbol indicating the prisoners and plane of imprisonment. The order of the rooms never changes and is as follows from the bottom upwards:
- Symbol of the Order of Daanvi - This is no combat. Can only be completed by a lawful player, who must answer the questions of Sir Raleigh correctly to successfully complete the chamber. Bypass if you do not have a lawful person. If you are the player answering the questions, be sure to answer them with traditional "Lawful" alignment in mind. No possible chest here.
- Symbol of Dolurrh - Defeat the Marut and Undying Centurions. The undead could be wraiths, specters or myrmidon wights. Death ward, firewall and smiting and disruption weapons are optimal in here. Unique loot: Death's Locket.
- Symbol of the Plane of Fernia - Fire. Defeat the fire mephits and named Efreeti (the center of room turns to lava). Chourush the Efreeti and fire elementals and mephits are imprisoned here. Crowd control and instant death spells work well. Unique loot: Charoush's Inferno.
- Symbol of the Plane of Lamannia - Lightning. Djinn, air elementals, earth elementals, air mephits and bezekira are all possible here. Lightning resist and crowd control, Symbol of Fear and Otto's Sphere of Dancing are great. True Seeing helps melees; ranged damage and instant-kill spells are best for air elementals. Unique loot: Ring of the Djinn.
- Symbol of the Plane of Mabar - Shadow. Defeat the vampire, shadows and greater umbral gargoyles. Deathward, firewall and disruptors are optimal. Vorpal works on vampires. Unique loot: Ring of Shadows.
- Symbol of the Plane of Risia - Ice. Defeat Parnamuul (Ice Flenser, evil outsider) and ice mephits. Fire is subdued here, but firewall still works okay. Cloudkill, wounders, vorpals all are great too. Use crowd control like Symbol of Fear. Unique loot: Spiked Boots.
- Symbol of the Plane of Shavarath - Defeat Princess Aurelia (marilith) and Jarilith. Stand against the wall to avoid tail whip. Vorpal and range using good+cold iron weapons are optimal here, especially a ranger with manyshot. Unique loot: Royal Scimitar.
- Symbol of the Plane of Xoriat - Beholder and Mind Flayers. For mind flayers, instant death spells, Flesh to Stone, vorpal, anarchic or aberration bane weapons. Symbol of Fear or cloudkill if you can cast them. Unique loot: Kardin's Eye.
Finally - Once you have six orbs, return to the center chamber, drop to the bottom and insert them into the slots. Gather your party in the center chamber and send one player back to the top room to flip the final switch, the one in the right hand wall. That player will have 10 seconds to return to the center chamber before the room seals again.
Buff with fire, cold, deathward, shield or nightshield. These will protect against the brunt of the attack. Spell resistance is nice for mindflayers. Also, if you discuss it beforehand, so everyone knows you are casting it, Globe of Invulnerability will suppress a mindflayer's mind thrust.
Once the center room seals, a warforged named Cochitlehua will appear, possessed by an ancient quori. Speak to the warforged and he will attack. Anarchic and pure good work well against him (suspected alignment is lawful evil). He will summon various creatures from the planes to attack you as you fight. Once Cochitlehua is defeated, the other creatures will disperse, the chest will appear and an ancient relic will appear on the ground.
The first person to touch the relic will advance the quest. If any other party member touches the relic, they will die with no save. Talk to each other to decide who will touch the relic.
The end chest will have 1d3 dragon relics. Unique loot: Dream Visor.
To complete the quest, one party member must run to the entrance and speak to Nimbus inside the Prison. To get your end reward, recall twice and speak to Nimbus in Gianthold.
- Oddly, when you speak to Nimbus, you end with thanking Maragogg, who is the contact for Return to Prison of the Planes
- Aggression bonus: 21 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 28 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 34
(Thanks to Lost Leader for some of this walkthrough.) or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 2 optional in two of the cells (can spawn in multiple locations)
- 1 at the end for killing Cochitlehua (Warforged)
- NPC rewards: Random item.
Named Chest Drop
All items are.
DC for key
|Skill||Quest Difficulty||Skill Total||Suspected DC range|
|"How about you give me the key, I'll open the room, and then when I find the relic we can turn it in together." (Bluff roll)||Casual||40-56:Success|
|"Why waste your time hunting a relic you probably don't even care about. You stay here and stand your post, I'll go and do all the dirty work." (Diplomacy roll)||Normal||27:Fail||?-41|
|"If you don't give me that key you'll never make it out of this place alive." (Intimidate roll)||Normal||21:Success||?-21|