A Cabal for One
|Requires access to : Ruins of Gianthold|
|A Cabal for One|
|Epic XP:||Return to Cabal for One|
|Takes place in:||Hobgoblin Lair|
|Bestowed by:||Jorgundal ar'Grund|
|NPC contact:||Jorgundal ar'Grund|
|Quest acquired in:||Gianthold|
|Patron:||Agents of Argonnessen|
|Free to Play:||No|
While exploring Gianthold, you encountered a group of hobgoblins that were guarding the entrance to this underground lair. Explore the lair and find out what exactly they were protecting.
- Speaking with Jorgundal ar'Grund grants this quest.
- This quest replaces "The Crucible" as one of three quests required to flag for the raid, "The Reaver's Fate."
- Explore the Hobgoblin encampment
- Speak to Gardak Bruntsmash
- Slay the Arzag-Khor conspirators (4 total)
- Reach the throne room
- Slay King Bendix
- (Optional) Slay Olos Nobrac — Bonus (15%): Heroic
What to Expect
- Traps (some random)
Trap and Lock DCs
Search & Spot DCs
One of the chests once had a super trapsmith's challenge and was the toughest non-epic trap in DDO (though is no longer true and the trap DC is now close to average DC for the quest level). It's behind a secret door.
Tips and Misc
Walkthrough (thanks in large part to)
Good buffs to have:
- Normal: resist cold and fire, True Seeing, and, of course, Greater Heroism. There is also a caster who may cast Flesh to Stone on you, so carrying a couple of Stone to Flesh scrolls is good insurance.
- Hard: resist cold, fire, sonic.
- Elite: resist acid, cold, fire, sonic. Loremasters dispell, so don't bother extending.
Clear out around the corner and speak to the traitor hobgoblin. He will give you two options. One, assist him in taking the place of leader amongst the tribe. Doing so, he will go through and clear out almost all of the traps in the compound, though he will double-cross you in the end. As of update 17, this route will no longer give you his extra chest at the end of the quest. Two, call him out and kick his butt right then and there. If you do this you will have to disable the traps along the way (bonus XP if you have a rogue) and (as of update 17) you will get the extra chest at the end.
Make a choice and head further in. You will reach a low wall with a gate, with a passage that goes around. You can jump over the wall to open the gate, but either way you will need to go through the side passage to defeat a required enemy. In this side room is the ultimate trapsmith's challenge. There is a (locked) chest behind a secret door that is trapped with the super spike trap of doom (you'll see it when you open the door). If/when the chest is opened, a second, un-disarmable set of spikes start just outside the door - non-trappers should stand well back. There is nothing special about the loot inside, no matter all the work it takes to get it, so bypass it if you don’t have an awesome rogue and a super evasion save.
Clear out the hall and take the right side at the fork to clear out the shrine. (If you skip the shrine because you don't need it yet, the end door won't open and you'll have to go back to the shrine and kill everything inside. This isn't terrible as it allows you to shrine just before the final fight.) Then head back to the left. There is a small room to the left (west) you will need to deal with. Then head further in. The gates ahead are blocked, so you will need to go to the northern doors, climb the ladders and clear out both top rooms. That will open the gates, allowing you access to the final hall and throne room.
Defeat the king (he can be tough due to being able to heal very quickly, especially on elite. Burst DPS is important here), and Gardak the Traitor (if you chose that option) and get your chest(s). The king's chest will have 1 Ancient Elven Relic.
Don't forget to click on "headstone" at end of quest to get completion.
End Reward: Speak to Jorgundal ar'Grund in the Gianthold for standard reward choice
- Aggression bonus: >118 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 7 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 9 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 11 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 34 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 44 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 54 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- 1 trapped and locked almost halfway through the quest (DC on norm is more than 47)
- 1 at the end for killing Gardak Bruntsmash (Hobgoblin, found close to the entrance, the chest appear only if you provoke Gardak into fighting you)
- when you cooperate with Gardak his chest has a low chance of dropping 1 Ancient Elven Relic. Tentative 10-15% chance.
- 1 at the end for killing King Bendix (Hobgoblin)
- it has 1 Ancient Elven Relic.
- Collectables: 5
- Rubble behind first secret door
- Cabinet in room with second secret door
- Crude Altar in upper level of north room
- Adventurer's Pack in alcove just before final room
- Adventurer's Pack in final room
- NPC rewards: Speak to Jorgundal ar'Grund in the Gianthold for standard reward choice
Named Chest Drop
|Gardak Bruntsmash (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|King Bendix (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Olos Nobrac (NoPic)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Arzag-Khor Loremaster (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Arzag-Khor Shaman (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Cloven-Jaw Scout (view)||CR||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Cloven-Jaw Veteran (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Cloven-Jaw Warlord (view)||Goblinoid||Hobgoblin|
|Glacier Wolf (view)||Magical Beast||Wolf|