Demons are a race of creatures native to chaotic evil-aligned planes. Demons are ferocity personified and will attack any creature just for the sheer fun of it — even other demons. They are monsters of the Evil Outsider type. Tanar'ri is an AD&D 2nd Edition terminology, back then the game was accused of being "Satanic", so TSR, Inc. renamed it.
Most demons possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- DR/Cold Iron - All demons
- Immunity to electricity and poison
- Resistance to acid, cold, and fire
- Spell Resistance (Most versions)
- Summon (Sp): Many demons share the ability to summon others of their kind (the success chance and type of demon summoned are noted in each monster description). Demons are often reluctant to use this power until in obvious peril or extreme circumstances.
- Tip #206: Devils are Lawful Evil and tend to dislike silver. Demons are Chaotic Evil and tend to dislike cold iron.
- Tip #206 (Other version.): To bypass the Damage Reduction (DR) of Devils, you need a silver or good weapon or a weapon that is both silver and good, depending on the Devil. To bypass the DR of Demons, you need a cold iron or good weapon or a weapon that is both cold iron and good. Good metalline weapons can bypass the DR of both types of creature.
Demons have many sub-races, with highly varied forms and characteristics. These include:
- Fire Reaver
- Flesh Render
- Ice Flenser
- Xorian Flenser
- Xorian Reaver
- Xorian Render
Creature Entries (119)
<ncl>Demon race monsters</ncl>