Through a Mirror Darkly
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
You find a small hand mirror as you enter the foyer of Oldstone Hall. The image in the mirror is dark and murky, but the glass pulses with a mysterious power.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|Through a Mirror Darkly|
|Takes place in:||Oldstone Hall|
|Bestowed by:||Jacinta Last|
|NPC contact:||Jacinta Last|
|Quest acquired in:||Wheloon Docks|
|Patron:||Purple Dragon Knights|
|Free to Play:||No|
The headstrong adventurer Oriphaun Huntsilver has learned that the Netherese have obtained a Nether Scroll - and he wants you to help him take it away from them.
Go to Oldstone Hall inside Wheloon Prison, and meet Oriphaun Huntsilver there.
- This is the fifth and final quest of the Shadow Over Wheloon story arc, and requires completion of the first four quests to be flagged.
- Darovic Cholney can teleport you to the quest for free once you have completed the full chain.
- Help Oriphaum retrieve the Nether Scroll
- Use the Mirror of Shadows in your possession to enter the Shadowfell
- Gather Light Orbs - 4 total
- Gather Shadow Orbs - 4 total
- Defeat the Shade Wizard, Tyvrus
- (Optional) Defeat Auralace the Arcane Assassin Heroic: +15% Bonus. / Epic: +15% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Cygl'ghax the Shadow Beholder Heroic: +22% Bonus. / Epic: +22% Bonus.
- (Optional) Defeat Jannek the Howler Master Heroic: +10% Bonus.
- (Optional) Find all the Archwizard's Orders - 4 total Heroic: +15% Bonus. / Epic: +15% Bonus.
- Blades in the secret chest room on top floor, south side (pressure plate should be disarmed on Material Plane). On Epic you can only disarm the trap in the Shadowfell-side plane.
- Spellward on Top floor, North. May appear on either normal or shadowfell side. Does not always appear.
- Trap in Top floor, SE room.
Tips and Misc
- This quest takes place in two near-mirror dimensions: the light and the shadow side. They can be distinguished by the mini-map; the Shadowfell's mini-map has a purplish tinge, while the real world's mini-map is the normal black.
- Acid, Cold, and Fire resistance are helpful.
- You may come upon some hostile Dragon Knights and War Wizards; they're being controlled by Shadow Puppeteers, and if you kill *these* the Cormyreans will switch sides.
- Upon entering the quest, each player receives a mirror that can be used to travel to the other dimension.
- Players need to switch dimensions to bypass blocked doors and collect four orbs in each dimension. Character/group location on the map is very important - check frequently as a passageway may continue in the "other" dimension.
- It is not advisable to switch dimensions into the middle of an unexplored room as this can drop a player right into a group of Shades and Shadar-Kai Assassins, resulting in a swift death on elite difficulties.
- Look for the round pedestals, which cue you that an orb may be present but in the other dimension.
- Good stealth skills, in combination with knowledge of the orb's location, will allow you to easily teleport yourself behind enemies. Move in Sneak, pick up an orb and return to the other dimension without anyone detecting you. This is especially advised against Auralace, a seriously powered mage.
- Using the mirror disables Sneak but does NOT remove Invisibility.
- You have to place the 4 Shadow Orbs in their Shadow Pedestals before you can reach the Light Pedestals, via a magical bridge of solid darkness.
- Placing all eight orbs in their pedestals opens up a passage to the end fight.
- During the end fight, Shadar-Kai will periodically spawn in both dimensions and the boss will periodically teleport to the other dimension, leaving behind an invulnerable image of himself. In the Shadowfell you'll be fighting Assassins and Blackguards, while you'll only be facing Shar Worshippers in the real world; he will return in a minute or two, so it may be worthwhile to simply stay in one plane and take the time to heal/rebuff between encounters.
- Locations of the Light Orbs (all in the real world):
- The First is in the southeast room on the bottom floor.
- The Second is in the southwest room of the top floor, guarded by Auralace and several Shadar-kai assassins.
- The Third is in the middle room off the eastern corridor on the top floor.
- The Fourth is in the northwest room on the bottom floor.
- Locations of the Shadow Orbs (all in the Shadowfell):
- The First is in the room along the south corridor on the bottom floor.
- The Second is on a balcony on the top floor along the eastern corridor, overlooking the entrance.
- The Third is on the top floor at the western end of the northern corridor.
- The Fourth is in the northeast room on the bottom floor.
- Locations of the Orders (all in the Shadowfell):
- The First is on a table immediately after you enter the Shadowfell.
- The Second is in a room off the eastern corridor on the top floor.
- The Third is in the northeast room on the top floor.
- The Fourth is in a room off the north corridor, on the bottom floor.
- Cygl'ghax will appear in a pit just beyond the third Shadow Orb (the one on the balcony); he will only spawn after you've gone over the edge. Note that he doesn't have an antimagic field, so Death Ward will completely protect you from negative levels throughout the fight.
- Devious bonus: 27-28 or fewer monsters killed +7% Bonus.
- Discreet bonus: 54-56 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 143 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 187 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 221-228 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 4 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 47 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 62 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 75-76 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: ** Traps bonus may not be possible due to trapsmiths.
- Chests: 5
- Collectables: 10
- Real World
- Cabinet on the first floor, eastern corridor (where Jannek is in the Shadowfell)
- Cabinet on the first floor, southwestern room (locked)
- Cabinet on the second floor, northeastern room (where the shrines are in the Shadowfell)
- Cabinet on the second floor, eastern corridor (where the opening to the courtyard is in the Shadowfell)
- Cabinet on the second floor, west end of the southern corridor (outside Auralace's room)
- Cabinet on the first floor, southeast corner
- Cabinet on the first floor, eastern corridor
- Cabinet on the first floor, eastern corridor (need to port there from the normal side, outside of Jannek's room)
- Cabinet on the second floor, southeast corner
- Cabinet on the second floor, southwest room (where Auralace is in the Shadowfell)
- Real World
- NPC rewards: Always contains the following named Armor, along with three random items
Named Chest Drop
|Burglar Recruit (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Chest (monster) (view)||Aberration||Mimic|
|Dragon Knight (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Enforcer Recruit (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Howler (view)||Evil Outsider||Howler|
|Netherese Arcanist (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Mage (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Priest of Shar (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Priestess of Shar (Human) (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Shadow (Shadowfell) (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Shadow Puppeteer (view)||Undead||Shadow|
|Shadow Stalker (NoPic)||Undead||Shadow|
|Shar Worshipper (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Trapsmith Recruit (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|War Wizard (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|