Chains of Flame
|Chains of Flame is the 2nd quest in the Against the Demon Queen .|
|The first three quests can be completed in any order to unlock Against the Demon Queen (quest).|
|Flagging occurs by collecting dedicated items rather than completing these quests.|
|Offering of Blood • Chains of Flame • Chamber of Raiyum • Against the Demon Queen • Zawabi's Revenge|
In the city of molten iron and scorching heat, the Firebrand gnolls delight in the misery of their slaves.
|Requires access to : Demon Sands|
|Chains of Flame|
|Takes place in:||The Burning City|
|Bestowed by:||Jaefan Druz|
|NPC contact:||Jaefan Druz|
|Quest acquired in:||Zawabi's Refuge|
|Patron:||The Free Agents|
|Free to Play:||No|
Jaefan Druz told you about the slave-taking habits of the Firebrand gnolls. According to Druz, the Firebrands wield the evil magics of demons and efreet in order to seize victims and work them to death – or eat them alive! Druz wants you to free the slaves of the Burning City, hidden deep in the Menechtarun, and bring back the Orb of the Efreet. This artifact is treasured by the rulers of the Burning City, and it will prove that you have broken the power of the Firebrands.
- Free at least 15* slaves (see walkthrough)
- Kill General Hruvayah
- Kill Rashad the Vizier
- Search the Efreeti Hoard
- (Optional) Free Gaspar Goldpike — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Speak to Valgrim Forge-Bound — Bonus (3%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Kill Valgrim's elemental guards — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free Valgrim Forge-Bound — Bonus (4%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Transfer Erath's curse to a willing victim — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Kill the ogre mages in the library — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Speak to Erath the Blinded — Bonus (3%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free Erath the Blinded — Bonus (3%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free all 30 slaves — Bonus (25%): Heroic Epic
What to Expect
- Overlapping floors
- Fire, spikes (Heroic)
- On Epic additional traps:
- Spinning blades, blowing off air-stream at the entrance (panel right)
- Oil fields and blowing off air-stream past the first shrine (4 panels on the floor)
- Spring blades around the gate lever (2 panels right)
- Spring blades on the bridge at end of second level (panel in the mid)
- Fire beams on a bridge on the third level (panel in the mid)
- blow in air-stream at the door of Royal Chamber (panel right)
Tips and Misc
- Getting to the quest
- Follow the route on the map (right), following the path in the red landscape. When this visible "road" goes into the water, take a swim (you can still see the "submerged road" continue underwater if you dive). As the land rises out of that water, look left for a skybridge – you'll need to find your way up to cross that. To get there, hold to the right-hand wall – you'll drop down, then soon be forced east – as you climb, look left again and you'll see it. Once across that, fight your way along the narrow cliffside trail to the quest entrance.
- Map notes
- Due to the complex quest design (too many overlapping floors in this case) the number of symbols placed on the map is kept to a bare minimum to avoid confusion.
- Buffs: It's a "burning city" – fire resist and cold-based attacks are useful.
- After clearing the first bridge, take a moment to look down around the lava lake at the bottom of the Burning City, under the bridge. There's a Return Portal at the base of the north wall, just above the lake's surface. Make a mental note of its position. If you fall into the lava, head for it: if you're quick enough, you can click it to teleport just above the first bridge before you burn to death. The same applies to other bridges as well.
- For the optional to save Gaspar Goldpike, you need to have a Bluff of 21 (Normal) or better.
- Orb of the Efreet, key item acquired at the end of this quest instance, cannot be turned in to Zawabi right away. Talk to the quest giver Jaefan Druz and receive Orb of the Djinn first.
- Note: The quest objectives list "Free at least 15 slaves", with 30 as optional. However, you must free a 16th slave for the mandatory Royal Firebrand key, 1 more than the listed objective – this is required to complete the quest. This walkthrough does not include all 30 slaves for that optional, only the easiest 2 dozen – the last 6 slaves are unaccounted for, and some are very time-consuming to reach (see notes re slave locations at bottom). If you do not intend to free all 30, free any 16 you choose and ignore the rest.
- At intersection #1 (blue firepit), go west (the east door is locked).
- At intersection #2 (another blue firepit), go west (the east door is locked), over the bridge (fire mephits) and down the tunnel to the end. Kill the overseer, get Key #1, free 3 slaves.
- Return to intersection #2, open locked door #1, leading east.
- At intersection #3 (next to room with dwarf), head west (ignore the door heading north), talk to and kill the ogre mage, get Key #2.
(Optional: Use Bluff on the ogre mage to save the dwarf, then kill the ogre mage and get his key, then talk to the dwarf (in the hanging cage) to free him and get the Stolen Treasury Key.)(This key is not necessary (for chest in step 7) if you have high enough Open Lock/Knock.)
- Return to intersection #3, head north, cross the bridge (watch out for archers well above/behind you), kill the overseer, get Key #3, loot the chest, free 3 slaves.
- Return to intersection #1 (Dimension Door works well here), open locked door #2 leading east, watch out for fire traps in the hall just after door (the control panel is just past the traps), ignore the next lever‡ (at the top of that hall, past the fire traps), cross a crooked bridge, start down the tunnel to reach the first shrine behind a levered door on your left (north).
‡ That lever turns the fire traps back on. There is another trap Control Panel next to it to turn them off again, permanently this time.
- Continue, fighting across a bridge – the far (western) side is "intersection #4". Free 3 more slaves (1 on east side, 2 on west), turn right to head north after bridge, ignore the path heading west/left), fight a Fire Elemental and various gnolls (including more archer above you), open the door (Locked portcullis) to the treasure room (on your left/south – use the Stolen Treasury Key or pick the lock (Lock DC) and loot the chest, free 2 slaves at the end of that ledge.
- Return to intersection #4 (west end of the bridge), head west, open locked door #3, watch out for spinning blade traps just beyond (trap control panel is on the far wall, past the traps – no one said this would be easy).
- At intersection #5 (on the next ledge), head north (through the wooden door on your right; ignore the stone door leading west), watch out for blade traps (past the first stairs – the Trap Control Panel is well beyond, past the second set of stairs), kill the overseer, get Key #4, free 1 slave, pull the lever.
- Return to intersection #5, head west.
- At intersection #6, free 2 slaves (1 in a hut, head east (ignore the bridge heading west), talk to and rescue the minotaur (fighting fire and air elementals), loot the chest.
- Return to intersection #6 and head west across the bridge, up some ladders and across a crooked bridge, open locked door #4.
- Cross a short bridge to intersection #7 (another blue firepit), head north (ignore the path heading east, which has a raised drawbridge), cross 2 more bridges (with archers above), free 1 slave (far ledge of 2nd bridge), watch out for spike and fire traps*.
* Both are in same room. Fire traps cover the side areas, away from the spikes. The Trap Control Panel is on the far side of the spikes, which can be timed.
- At intersection #8, free 1 slave* (hiding behind a pillar), head south (the door heading east is locked).
* If you have freed every possible slave so far, his completes the mandatory objective to "Free 15 slaves"; you now have "15 left" for the optional to "Free all 30 slaves". However, to obtain the mandatory Royal Firebrand key, you must free a 16th slave.
- At intersection #9 there is another fight with archers above; free 1 slave (in the raised hut to the west*), head south across the bridge, kill the overseer, get Key #5, free 3 more slaves ("11 left"), loot the locked chest (Lock DC)
* Freeing your 16th slave rewards the Royal Firebrand Key, which is mandatory to open the last, key-sealed door to the end-fight.
- Return to intersection #9, open the stone door and head north, free 1 slave, pull the lever (which lowers the drawbridge to the shrine).
- Drop down to the bridge below, free 2 slaves, head east for the second shrine, then head west back across the bridge.
- At intersection #10, head north (ignore the path heading west – that way leads back to the double-ladder rooms). The north path also backtracks some, so watch out for spike/fire trapped room if you didn't disarm that.
- At intersection #11 (which was also #8), just past the spike/fire traps, head east (ignore the path heading south), open locked door #5, free 1 slave, talk to the blinded prisoner, take his curse, use Remove Curse potion or spell (the blindness will not renew after the remove curse is used), kill the ogre mages, free the blinded prisoner.
- Climb the ladder to the upper floor of the library, loot the chest in the alcove, then head north through the other door on the upper floor of the library, cross a crooked "bridge" (that returns to same wall), watch out for blade traps after this bridge (just before adventurer's pack), ladders/bridge/ladders/bridge, rescue 1 slave (in hut at last, key-sealed door), open the last locked door with the Royal Firebrand Key that you received from the 16th freed slave. Kill the 2 bosses, loot the chest and search the Efreeti Hoard for the Orb of the Efreet if you intend to flag for the pre-raid quest Against the Demon Queen.
- Breakdown of Slave Locations
- Lowest Level
- 3 – In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 1st Burning City Key
- Kitchen Level
- 3 – In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 2nd Burning City Key
- Level above 1st Shrine
- 1 – On platform through door after 1st shrine
- 2 – Across bridge, on East Platform of main block
- 2 – Through door at North/Right end of East platform and along North Platform (past treasure room) to far end
- 1 – Through door at South/Left end of East platform, through door half-way along South Platform and up steps; in room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 3rd Burning City Key
- 1 – Through door at far/West end of South platform and along West Platform (past Bridge and door to Minotaur) to far end
- 1 – Inside shelter immediately before far end of West Platform
- Library Level (2 levels up: Up 1 level, cross bridge to left, take curving passage up another level)
- 1 – On far side of bridge, at East/Left end of North Platform of main block
- 2 – On platform immediately below bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 – On platform below and to West of bridge to North Platform (North end of bridge); requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- 1 – In central room, after room with Spike and Fire Traps
- 1 – In shelter at West end of South platform
- 3 – In room with Gnoll Overseer who drops 4th Burning City Key, across bridge to South of South platform
- 1 – Through door at far/East end of South platform; At North/far end of East platform
- 1 – At table in Library
- 2nd Shrine Level (1 level down: Use lever to lower drawbridge, then jump down to drawbridge or run back down one level)
- 2 – On platform next to room with 2nd Shrine; Requires run back up
- Level above Library
- 2 – On platform immediately below Walkway on West side of main block, one at South/near end, one at North/far end; requires jump down to platform, jump down to lower level, then run back up
- Top level
- 1 – In shelter on platform immediately before room with Final Fight with Rashad/Hruvayah
- Aggression bonus: 152 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 197 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 243 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 3/9 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 4/12 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 5/15 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 108 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 141 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 173 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Second number for Epic
- Chests: 6
- One with Firebrand Overseer (3rd key)
- Vault chest (Lock DC (door)) (may contain named items)
- Valgrim (minotaur) chest (may contain named items)
- One locked with Firebrand Overseer (5th key)
- Erath's library chest (may contain named items)
- End chest (may contain named items)
- Collectables: 13
- Adventurer's Pack in alcove short before 1st key
- Moss at the ledge before 3rd key
- Adventurer's Pack in tunnel short after 1st shrine
- Moss with the 1st fire elemental
- Crude Altar short after the Treasure Room
- Rubble in a shelter
- Moss squeezed in a corner (north west)
- Cabinet past the manned indoor bridge
- Adventurer's Pack on a remote ledge (requires jumping down)
- Rubble in a shelter
- Rubble on a remote ledge with 2 slaves (requires jumping down)
- Adventurer's Pack near last blade trap
- Rubble with last fire elemental
- NPC rewards: Random item
Named Chest Drop
||Unkor's Cleaver ( )||Battle Axe||
||10||Chains of Flame, Vault chest|
||Staff of Inner Sight ( )||Quarterstaff||
||10||Chains of Flame, Library Chest|
||Hruvayah's Medallion ( )||Necklace||
||11||Chains of Flame, End chest|
||Golden Greaves ( )||Boots||
||11||Chains of Flame, Valgrim Forge-Bound's Chest|
||Cape of the Roc ( )||Cloak||
||11||Chains of Flame, End Chest|
||Ring of Baphomet ( )||Ring||
||11||Chains of Flame, Valgrim Forge-Bound's Chest|