Watch Your Step
|Requires access to : Keep on the Borderlands|
|Watch Your Step|
|Takes place in:||Kobold Caves|
|Bestowed by:||Wrolph Acton|
|NPC contact:||Wrolph Acton|
|Quest acquired in:||Keep on the Borderlands|
|Free to Play:||No|
- Explore the cave
- Defeat the Kobold tribe
- (Optional) Stop the kobold runner — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the king of the pile — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Make a deal with the Kobolds — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find out what the Kobolds have been up to — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Politely tell the Kobold tribe about their chieftain's demise — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find out what the Kobolds have been up to — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
|Holy||1 Mechanical Trapdoor.|
Tips and Misc
True to its name, first passage has a Mechanical Trapdoor at the first junction (not very well disguised). Safe but long fall into shallow slop (no damage, no direct climb back out). There's a secret door that begins the way back up and out.
- Optional: Although falling into the pit is painless, you miss the "Kobold runner" optional ("Kobold too young to die!" +7% XP), which is triggered when the trap is disabled (and possibly by other triggers also). No "fail" notice is given if this is missed, and it cannot be re-gained. Although this is generally true, sometimes the kobold runner falls into the pit with you, allowing completion of the optional.
West and/or down the pit - optionals:
All optionals in the pit can be achieved by going west (secret door at "end" of tunnel. There is a 2nd secret door beyond that, but contains only 1 breakable and the secret door to the pit itself. Only 2 of the 3 secret doors need be found for +10% Perception bonus).
- If you fall/jump, you follow a tunnel and end up back at the top of the pit, which has now been sealed shut. Trap can still be disabled at this time (XP?).
- "Optional" mini-boss rat "king of the pile" and an Iron key (and collectable and shrine) are found down here.
- Lever in shrine room is used to open one of the secret doors in the pit if you do not have a high enough search DC.
- 2 secret doors must be found to get back up out of the pit. There is a third secret door in SW passage. If you run down the hall toward the pit, you only need the first secret door plus the SW passage for the +10% Perception bonus (2 total). The inner secret door, leading to the pit itself, hides only one (1) breakable.
- Optional: "Making a deal with the kobolds" (+20%) involves going southeast and talking to the Elderly Kobold Crone. Diplomacy (35 worked on Epic Normal), Intimidate or Bluff (Bluff 11 Failed, but 19 worked on Hard, 19 Bluff Failed on Elite. Diplomacy 19 succeeded on Elite). Depending on your actions beforehand you might not be able to even talk to the Elderly Kobold, e.g. if you don't stop the Kobold runner she'll be hostile.
- If you loot their chest (or if you attack them first), they attack. You still get the XP from making the deal.
- Go north and east to kill the chief, then come back and speak to her twice more if you want the optionals (below).
- 2nd Iron Key in end room.
- Either iron key can be used to unlock the treasure room at the end.
- Quest ends when the treasure room door is opened (west end of northern passage). The optionals below can still be completed, for reward and XP, after the quest is "finished".
- Optional: Speaking to her the second time opens a secret door for chest.
- Optional: Speaking to the Crone a third time completes the "Find out what the Kobolds Have been up to" optional, and drops a Kobold Charm of Evil Chaos on the floor, which is one of three charms used in the final quest Total Chaos to unlock a +25% XP optional and chest.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 8 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- one behind secret door to SE
- one in side tunnel in north-central area (also has 2 Tasty Hams nearby, on the floor)
- End chest
- Collectables: 2
- NPC rewards: