Watch Your Step
From DDO wiki
|Requires access to : Keep on the Borderlands|
|Watch Your Step|
|Takes place in:||Kobold Caves|
|Bestowed by:||Wrolph Acton|
|NPC contact:||Wrolph Acton|
|Quest acquired in:||Keep on the Borderlands|
|Free to Play:||No|
One of the new "starter" quests in the Keep on the Borderlands adventure pack, released for beta testing Monday, October 29.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Explore the cave
- Defeat the Kobold tribe
- (Optional) Stop the kobold runner — Bonus (7%): Heroic
- (Optional) Defeat the king of the pile — Bonus (15%): Heroic
- (Optional) Make a deal with the Kobolds — Bonus (20%): Heroic
- (Optional) Politely tell the Kobold tribe about their chieftain's demise — Bonus (7%): Heroic
Trap and Lock DCs
1 Mechanical Trapdoor.
Tips and Misc
- True to its name, first passage has a Mechanical Trapdoor at the first junction (not very well disguised). Safe but long fall into shallow slop (no damage, no direct climb back out) there's a secret door out.
- "Optional" mini-boss "king of the pile" and an Iron key (and collectable and shrine) are found down here.
- Iron keys are used to unlock later doors
- If you fall/jump, you follow a tunnel and end up back at the top of the pit, which has now been sealed shut. Trap can still be disabled at this time (XP?).
- All optionals in the pit can be achieved by going west (secret door at "end" of tunnel; 2nd secret door beyond that, but contains only 1 breakable. Only 2 of the 3 Sec Doors need be found for +10% Perception bonus).
- Optional: Although falling into the pit is painless, you miss the "Kobold runner" optional ("Kobold too young to die!" +7% XP), which is triggered when the trap is disabled (and possibly by other triggers also). No "fail" notice is given if this is missed, and it cannot be re-gained.
- Optional: "Making a deal with the kobolds" (+20%) involves going southeast and talking to the Elderly Kobold Crone. Diplomacy, Intimidate or Bluff (Bluff 19 worked on Hard, 19 Bluff Failed on Elite). Depending on your actions beforehand you might not be able to even talk to the Elderly Kobold, e.g. if you don't stop the Kobold runner she'll be hostile.
- If you loot their chest (or if you attack them first), they attack. You still get the XP from making the deal.
- Lever in shrine room is used to open the secret door if you do not have a high enough search DC.
- 2 secret doors must be found to get back up out of the pit. There is a third secret door in SW passage. If you run down the hall toward the pit, you only need the first secret door plus the SW passage for the +10% Perception bonus (2 total). The inner secret door, leading to the pit itself, hides only one (1) breakable.
- 2nd Iron Key in end room (possibly opens the room to the northern chest?? Not sure about this.) needs verification
- Completing the "Politely tell the Kobold tribe about their chieftain's demise" optional drops a Kobold Charm of Evil Chaos on the floor. The Crest can be used in the quest: Total Chaos.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 8 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- one behind secret door to SE
- one in side tunnel in north-central area (also has 2 Tasty Hams nearby, on the floor)
- End chest
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
|Rough Plate||Full Plate||
||1||Watch Your Step, Proud Kobold Chieftain's chest|
||1||Watch Your Step, End Chest|
|Cloak of Attraction||Cloak||1||Watch Your Step, End Chest|
||21||Watch Your Step, End Reward|
||21||Watch Your Step, End chest|
|Humongous Stinking Rat (NoPic)||Animal||Rat|
|Proud Kobold Chieftain (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Crafty Kobold Warrior (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Elderly Kobold Crone (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Lookout (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Sneaky Kobold Warrior (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Stinking Rat (NoPic)||Animal||Rat|
|Vicious Kobold Concubine (NoPic)||Reptilian||Kobold|