Watch Your Step
|Watch Your Step is the 1st quest in The Keep on the Borderlands .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|Watch Your Step • The Bugbear Bandits • Violent Delights • Treasure Hunt • Obstructing the Orcs • Caged Beast • The Hobgoblin Horde • Total Chaos|
|Requires access to : Keep on the Borderlands|
|Watch Your Step|
|Takes place in:||Kobold Caves|
|Bestowed by:||Wrolph Acton|
|NPC contact:||Wrolph Acton|
|Quest acquired in:||The Keep on the Borderlands|
|Purchase:||Keep on the Borderlands or VIP|
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Explore the cave
- Defeat the Kobold tribe
- (Optional) Stop the kobold runner — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the king of the pile — Bonus (12%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Make a deal with the Kobolds — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Politely tell the Kobold tribe about their chieftain's demise — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find out what the Kobolds have been up to — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- 1 Mechanical Trapdoor.
Tips and Misc
- Minimum solution: Jump the trap and go East to talk to the old crone, north to kill the chief, then go west to unlock and enter the treasure room outside the chief's room. If you fight the crone, you can use the key from her room. Otherwise, the chief drops a key. Note that the door can be picked.
True to its name, the first passage has a Mechanical Trapdoor at the first junction (not very well disguised). Safe, but it's a long fall into some shallow slop (no damage, no direct climb back out). There's a Secret door that begins the way back up and out.
- Optional: Although falling into the pit is painless, you miss the "Kobold runner" optional ("Kobold too young to die!" +7% XP), which is triggered when the trap is disabled (and possibly by other triggers also). You have to "prevent" one specific kobold, named 'Kobold Runner' (look for the name above its head) running away and ringing the nearby gong, i.e. kill the Kobold Runner. No "fail" notice is given if this is missed, and it cannot be re-gained. Although this is generally true, sometimes the Kobold Runner falls into the pit with you, allowing completion of the optional. Some stealthy Rogues may be able to sneak up on the Runner, without being noticed or use Bluff to pull the Runner towards the entrance to distract the Kobold from running towards the gong for a few seconds; delaying the Kobold Runner.
West and/or down the pit - optionals:
All optionals in the pit can be achieved by going west (Secret door at "end" of the tunnel. There is a 2nd Secret door beyond that, but contains only 1 breakable and the secret door to the pit itself. Only 2 of the 3 secret doors need to be found for +10% Perception bonus).
- If you fall/jump, you follow a tunnel and end up back at the top of the pit, which has now been sealed shut. The trap can still be disabled at this time (XP?).
- "Optional" mini-boss rat "king of the pile" and an Iron Key (and collectable and shrine) are found down here.
- Lever in shrine room is used to open one of the secret doors in the pit if you do not have a high enough search DC.
- 2 secret doors must be found to get back up out of the pit. There is a third secret door in South-west passage. If you run down the hall toward the pit, you only need the first secret door plus the South-west passage for the +10% Perception bonus (2 total). The inner secret door, leading to the pit itself, hides only one (1) breakable.
- Optional: "Making a deal with the kobolds" (+20%) involves going southeast and talking to the Elderly Kobold Crone. Diplomacy (35 worked on Epic Normal), Intimidate or Bluff (Bluff 38 worked on epic Normal) (Bluff 11 Failed, but 19 worked on Hard, 19 Bluff Failed on Elite (16 worked on Elite). Diplomacy 19 succeeded on Elite). Depending on your actions beforehand you might not be able to even talk to the Elderly Kobold, e.g. if you don't stop the Kobold Runner she'll be hostile.
- If you loot their chest (or if you attack them first), they attack. You still get the XP from making the deal.
- Go north and east to kill the chief, then come back and speak to her twice more if you want the optionals (below).
- 2nd Iron Key in end room.
- Either iron key can be used to unlock the treasure room at the end. It can be picked, but doing so before talking to the crone may make it impossible to obtain the charm.needs verification
- Quest ends when the treasure room door is opened (west end of the northern passage). The optionals below can still be completed, for reward and XP, after the quest is "finished".
- Optional: Speaking to the Crone a second time opens the nearby secret door for a chest.
- Optional: Speaking to the Crone a third time completes the "Find out what the Kobolds Have been up to" optional, and drops a Kobold Charm of Evil Chaos on the floor, which is one of three charms used in the final quest Total Chaos to unlock a +25% XP optional and chest.
- Perception bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 8 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 10 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- one behind Secret door to South-east
- one in side tunnel in north-central area (also has 2 Tasty Hams nearby, on the floor)
- End chest
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
||Cloak of Attraction ( )||Cloak||
||1||Watch Your Step, End Chest|
||Rough Plate ( )||Full Plate||
||1||Watch Your Step, Proud Kobold Chieftain's chest|
||Flamering ( )||Ring||
||1||Watch Your Step, End Chest|
||White Hood of Schemes ( )||Helm||
||21||Watch Your Step, end chest|
||Focal Point ( )||Large shield||
||21||Watch Your Step, end chest|
||Blackfeather Boots ( )||Boots||
||21||Watch Your Step, End chest|
||Serrated Arrowhead ( )||Trinket||
||21||Watch Your Step, End Chest, Proud Kobold Chieftain's Chest|
||Hallowed Gauntlets ( )||Gloves||
||21||Watch Your Step, End Chest|
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Crafty Kobold Warrior ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Dretch Spawn ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Elderly Kobold Crone ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Hezrou Chaos Spawn ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Humongous Stinking Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Infirm Kobold Veteran ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Lookout ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Kobold Runner ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Proud Kobold Chieftain ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Scrawny Kobold ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Sneaky Kobold Hunter ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Stinking Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Vicious Kobold Concubine ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|