|Total Chaos is the 8th quest in The Keep on the Borderlands .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|Watch Your Step • The Bugbear Bandits • Violent Delights • Treasure Hunt • Obstructing the Orcs • Caged Beast • The Hobgoblin Horde • Total Chaos|
The Cult of Evil Chaos has risen to power in the valley thanks to its skill with magic. By creating Undead and summoning Demons, the cultists have been able to cow the local monsters into following them.
|Requires access to : Keep on the Borderlands|
|Takes place in:||Temple of Evil Chaos|
|Bestowed by:||Howarth the Faithkeeper|
|NPC contact:||Howarth the Faithkeeper|
|Quest acquired in:||The Keep on the Borderlands|
|Purchase:||Keep on the Borderlands or VIP|
The Cult of Evil Chaos is the main threat to the Keep on the Borderlands; handling them will cause the monsters to leave. Howarth is asking you to confront the cult and destroy them.
Spoiler Warning: Spoiler material below this point!
- Slay most of the cultists (8 total)
- Find and confront their leader
- Find the missing codex page
- (Optional) Explore all the nooks and crannies of the cave network — Bonus (12%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Put to rest all the undead guardians of this cursed place — Bonus (16.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the terrible torturer — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Dice the gelatinous cube — Bonus (9%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Put to rest the restless Wight — Bonus (8%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find the secret shrine — Bonus (16%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Steal the gem from the hall of ancient warriors — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Steal the (obviously) cursed tableware — Bonus (6.5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Assemble the Kobold Shrine of Evil Chaos — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Assemble the Orc Shrine of Evil Chaos — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Assemble the Gnoll Shrine of Evil Chaos — Bonus (7%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Ring the Bell (Summons Onnez the Oblivious) — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the Demon — Bonus (26%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Don't let the leader escape — Bonus (6%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Have words with the Medusa — Bonus (3%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free the pretty problematic prisoner — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat pretty pissed prisoner — Bonus (33%): Heroic Epic
Tips and Misc
You can recruit many NPCs (many of whom you will recognize from other quests) to help you fight. The NPCs appear in quest ONLY if your party possesses the Charms of Chaos found in Watch Your Step, Obstructing the Orcs and Violent Delights.
- For completion (only), hit the room in the north of the first main cave (for cultists and a possibility at the missing codex page), then from there just push west then north, killing cultists, etc. The other areas offer only optional XP, 1 chest, and NPC assistance.
- There's a chance you won't find enough cultists in the western/northern areas. If not, search the main/southern area.
- There is a small chance that the codex page will be located in one of the southern rooms.
- South, in the southeast room, are gnolls Uro and Yula, who will join you if you have their charm.
- Optional: "Steal the gem from the hall of ancient warriors", which triggers a fight with undead.
- Optional: Push further south to "find the secret shrine".
- The small central room contains only a fight with casters and a collectable.
- The central-eastern area contains:
- A shrine behind a Locked door.
- Optional: Beyond that, to the north, a room with the Terrible Torturer and 4 keys that are useful later.
- Hera, the medusa prisoner, in the southern passage.
- Chatting with her gains her alliance, but does not free her.
- Optional: The Iron Key, from the Torturer's room (above), frees her to join you. If you have a lock picker in party, the keys in the Torturer room aren't needed for any doors.
- In the south-eastern passage, the Kobold Crone (if you have her Charm) appears, and she and her helper kobold will join you.
- Optional: Behind a locked door, a (moderately tough!) gelatinous cube, and a chest.
- Yeshelka Frostrager, who will join you if you have her quest's charm, in the eastern passage.
- Optional: A locked room with the "restless wight".
- The square room to the west contains a shrine and several piles of gold.
- Optional: "Steal the (obviously) cursed tableware", and a not-surprising fight.
- Be aware that triggering this fight while the Medusa is with you will teleport any NPCs associated with Charms of Evil Chaos you are carrying to the room; they and Hera will then both immediately attack you, in addition to the other monsters in the room. (This will not occur if you take the treasure before speaking to Hera, and NPCs trapped in the ritual room (see below) will not attack you.)
- Go north.
- Solving the lit rune puzzle will drop the barrier to the northernmost room; the aim is "light up" all the Runes for this specific puzzle.
- The eastern side loop there contains only some (sleeping!) cultists and a collectable.
- The far North-eastern side loop is behind two secret doors. If you do not/cannot enter via Search, they will open if you do the Shrine of Chaos optional (see below).
- The codex page is randomly located throughout the cultist rooms, including the end room. It will not be found in the "cavern" area of the quest.
- End fight
The boss is behind a secret door in the south-west corner of the large room, past the gnoll/kobold/orc shrines. He will try to escape once sufficiently hurt. You can let him escape. If you recruited the Medusa to help you, she will finish him for you as she waited behind to ambush.
- Optional: Go back to the Medusa to "Have words with her", and then fight her. You can see the boss, turned to stone, there, if you didn't kill him yourself.
- When the medusa dies, if there are any NPCs still with you, they go insane and attack you.
- Optional: Assembling the Shrines of Evil Chaos
- Optional: After the battle and everything else, if you brought the gnoll, kobold, and orc Charm of Evil Chaos from previous quests, you can do this optional. Slot the crests into the shrines, then, you can ring a bell to the east (target rope and hit 'e'; E the default key for interact with the selected target). This summons a flesh render. Defeating him awards a chest, a "lockbox" to the west.
- Additionally, during the fight, the secret doors to the area behind the bell open and mobs from them pour into the area (if you did not clear them before). This also gives you access to that area to "Explore all the nooks and crannies of the cave network" and releases the undead in that area, if you had not before.
- Placing the crests in the shrines teleports Yula, Yeshelka and the Kobold Crone, if they are still alive, into Hold Monster-like restraints around the room. They will no longer be able to fight with you. You can complete this optional even if you stole the cursed tableware earlier and were forced to fight them.
- Aggression bonus: 63–64 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 64 < x < 89 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 2 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 3 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 4 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 22–23 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 29 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 36 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: In order to achieve Vigilant Sight and Ransack, you may need to hold off on picking up the Codex Page until after killing the High Priest, in order to break the pews and search out the door in his quarters.
- Chests: 2–3
- 1 optional, behind a locked door and a guardian gelatinous cube
- 1 optional after completing 'Defeat the Demon' (will require all three Charms of Evil Chaos, from earlier quests in the chain, to unlock)
- 1 end chest
- Collectables: 7
- Rubble in the south-west otherwise empty cavern
- Fungus in the room with the Gelatinous Cube
- Reagents Cabinet in the mid-east room with cultists
- Scroll Rack in the mid-west room with cultists
- Fungus near the puzzle
- Fungus near the secret door to the High Priest
- Alchemy Table in the room of the High Priest
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
||Bulwark Helm ( )||Helm||
||1||Total Chaos, End chest.|
||Ring of Magical Attunement ( )||Ring||
||1||Total Chaos, End Chest|
||Hardy Boots ( )||Boots||
||1||Total Chaos, End chest|
||Darksphere ( )||Orb||
||21||Total Chaos, End chest|
||Resonant Cloth ( )||Cloak||
||21||Total Chaos, End Chest|
||Fiendblood Bracers ( )||Bracers||
||21||Total Chaos, End chest|
||Whispering Ring ( )||Ring||
||21||Total Chaos, End chest|
||Belt of Crystalline Vanity ( )||Belt||
||21||Total Chaos, End Chest|
|Name ( picture )||CR||Type||Race|
|Ax Cultist ( view • )||Undead||Zombie|
|Busybody Bonehead ( view • )||Undead||Skeleton|
|Cultist Acolyte ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Cultist Adept ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Cultist Dretch ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Cultist Wight ( view • )||Undead||Wight|
|Elderly Kobold Crone ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|High Priest ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Infirm Kobold Veteran ( view • )||Reptilian||Kobold|
|Onnez the Oblivious ( view • )||Evil Outsider||Demon|
|Oro ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Queen Hera ( view • )||Monstrous Humanoid||Medusa|
|Terrance ( view • )||Orc||Half-Orc|
|Toxic Gelatinous Cube ( view • )||Ooze||Gelatinous Cube|
|Yeshelka Frostrager ( view • )||Orc||Orc|
|Yula Bloodgleam ( view • )||Gnoll||Gnoll|