The Tracker's Trap
Warning: The information on this page might be inaccurate due to a game update.
If you know any information on this page to be in error, please fix it by clicking thelink above.
Reason: Needs to have parameters updated due to changes in Quest.
Please help improve this page.
You can help by editing this page. For suggestions, please see the talk page, or embedded <!-- comments --> while .
Harper Agent Oriphaun Huntsilver has sent an urgent request for backup to meet him at a location near the Storm Horns Mountains. He seems to have uncovered a new threat gathering in the wilds.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|The Tracker's Trap|
|Takes place in:||The Yarrow Glade|
|Bestowed by:||Nevyle Dunwaite|
|NPC contact:||Nevyle Dunwaite|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Master Harper Nevyle Dunwaite has asked you to assist a Harper agent who's been spying on Netherese activities up in the Storm Horn Mountains.
Once you're at the foothills of the Storm Horns, follow the road East until you reach Yarrow Glade. Harper Agent Oriphaun Huntsilver is waiting to give you his report there.
- This is the first quest in the Secret of the Storm Horns story arc, although you can complete the first four quests in any order to flag for the final one.
- Speak to Oriphaun
- Look for Oriphaun's Journal
- Escape the Netherese ambush
- (Optional) Find the lost pages of Oriphaun's journal (8 total) — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Clear the Netherese from Haurugg's camp — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the mad druid — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- Net traps (triggered by pressure plates on ground)
- Trap Pit (with spikes) (randomly located)
- Spell Wards (if not disabled, these can disappear on their own)
Tips and Misc
- The keyboard "Select Next Interactable" key (default q or Back Space), will not help you find the initial journal (on the east side of the glade); that must be done visually, by the player. However, that key will help you find the lost journal pages, although you need a clear line-of-sight to the page, which can be tricky for some possible locations.
- The opening fight is moderately tough, but doesn't start until after you find the journal in the glade and then some bantering by the bad guys. All elemental resists (except Sonic) are useful against their spells.
- The two mini-boss casters will leave (and be un-attackable) when you defeat all trash. This is built-in to the plotline.
- Most trash fights will consist of a small group of gnolls led by either a human caster or a Shadar-kai with a nasty AoE spiked chain.
- On your way, you may encounter randomly located pit traps (can be disabled or skirted around if careful), pressure plates, and chests (that can spawn loot, trash, or a mimic). The map shows some of the possible spawn points.
- (Optional) Go right (east) at the first T intersection:
- South from there is a shrine, collectable, and possible journal page location.
- (Optional) North is an optional (+15% XP) fight.
- After the fight, speak to Haurugg a second time to complete the optional.
- (Optional) At the second T-intersection, go left (south) for the Mad Druid (+15% XP) and a chest.
- The third (and last) T=intersection is northmost; left (west) is a spell-warded shrine and a possible journal page location. The ward can be easily avoided.
- At the end fight, Shai, one of the two casters from the start of the quest, will be in an invulnerable shield. You must destroy two orbs to remove the shield. Shai will replace these orbs, and the trash harassing you, 2 times (at approximately 75% and 50% hit points), so they must be destroyed 3 times total to be able to continue attacking her.
- At approximately 25% hit points, she will again replace the invulnerable shield (but not the orbs) and summon a large pseudo-dragon. Killing the dragon destroys the shield and allows you to then kill her, ending the quest.
- (Optional) The 8 Journal Pages are semi-randomly located (see map for some locations).
- The Netherese and I have been playing a game of cat and mouse since I stole their Nether Scroll back in Wheloon. Only each of us is cat and mouse, both. If I can dodge their assassins a bit longer, I may be on to something.
- Defeated a rather brutish agent of the Netherese last night. I have his staff and some papers. The staff is dangerous. I will trust it to my friend Halsaime for safe-keeping. And with luck, these papers will bear fruit.
- At last, I've made some headway with these damned papers. They were magically concealed, of course. What they reveal is beyond troubling! It seems I will be making an expedition to the Storm Horns on their account. Alas, I'll have little time for picnics or fox-hunting while I'm there.
- It was only in the last tenday that I at last set foot in the Storm Horns. These lands seems thick with Netherese assassins, and I fear my presence has not gone entirely unnoticed. Still, I am here, and not a moment too soon...
- My first discovery - an army of giants, orcs, and other monstrous creatures, gathering under the cover the of the mountain. There can be no doubt, they plan to invade Cormyr. I must get word to the Harpers at the very first opportunity I find.
- To bring such disparate monsters into one organized army - what bribes and threats must the Netherese have used? How strong are those bonds, I wonder. I must pray a weak link may be found.
- I must keep searching. Somewhere there is an answer. To gather an army of rough brutes and simply march on Cormyr - it is unlike the Netherese. There is some trick, some clever feint woven into this. There must be an answer, and I will find it.
- They have seen me now, I'm certain of it. It was a great risk, but well worth the trouble. I have learned there is something underway high at the mountain's summit. If what I fear is true... I must hope my message reaches the Harpers and they send someone. For now, I wait and hide. The Netherese are ever on my trail.
- Aggression bonus: 131-133 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 153 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 179 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 9 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 10 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 17 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 22 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 27 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Chests: 4
- 1 somewhere along the central path (random location, see map)
- 1 west, at the mad druid
- 2 at the end.
- (and possibly 1 or 2 Mimics, which do not give loot)
- Collectables: 4
- Adventurer's Pack behind the shrines near Haurugg
- Bones behind the rock in Haurugg's camp
- Bones around the corner from Luggan's camp
- Adventurer's Pack near Daegon's chest
- NPC rewards: Always contain following 3 named Cloaks
Named Chest Drop
- Magistrate's Scepter - Heavy Mace -
- Nether Orb - Orb
|Luggan the Cudgeler (view)||Giant||Giant|
|Netherese Orb (view)||0||Construct||Inanimate Object|
|Animated Object (view)||Construct||Animated Object|
|Chest (monster) (view)||Aberration||Mimic|
|Gnoll Skirmisher (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Gnoll Warlock (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Netherese Arcanist (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Netherese Mage (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Orc Archer (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Orc Battle Priest (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Owlbear (view)||Magical Beast||Owlbear|