Breaking the Ranks
The Netherese army's central camp is not expecting a fight - but it's always ready for one.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|Breaking the Ranks|
|Takes place in:||Netherese Central Camp|
|Bestowed by:||Orin Arroway|
|NPC contact:||Orin Arroway|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Seeing the coordination and training evident in the latest Orc raids against Eveningstar, Swordcaptain Arroway believes that the monsters of the Storm Horns are gathering into an army.
Arroway is barred from investigating by his superiors, so he asked you to go up in the Storm Horns in his stead. If you do find a Centeral Army Camp in the peaks of the Storm Horns, he has tasked you to destroy it!
This quest is also known as "Waking the Beast" on some NPC dialog and on Lamannia documentations.
- This is the third quest in the Secret of the Storm Horns story arc, although you can complete the first four quests in any order to flag for the final one.
- Make your presence known
- Defeat the Gnoll troops
- Defeat the Orc troops
- Survive against the Hill Giants
- Defeat Draeton
- (Optional) Defeat the Gnoll General, Yrrgal
- (Optional) Defeat the Orc General, Naznub
- (Optional) Defeat the Hill Giant General, Glumdalclunk
- (Optional) Ring the bell before Draeton awakens the Orcs
- (Optional) Ring the bell before Draeton awakens the Giants
- (Optional) Ring the bell before Draeton awakens the Shadar-kai
Spell Wards, around the edges and in the entry; spawn after ringing the bell to "make your presence known". Be careful when disarming the traps around the gnoll tents - new waves of gnolls can and will spawn on top of you while you are searching for and disarming the traps.
Tips and Misc
- Just a Hack 'n' Slash battle-quest, where monsters come in waves (of about 40 monsters (on Heroic Hard)). It seems to be much harder than other flagging quests, so be careful.
- Shrines pop up between waves, and you have 30 seconds or so to use them. Be quick!
- If you ring the bell, the next wave starts early.
- Above the Orcs' entry, an Undead White Dragon, named Arricaxerxes (CR: depends on level), is 'firing' ice at the party. Meanwhile, Draeton is standing on a platform above the quest entrance and will fire spells if you get too close.
- Conquest bonus: 162 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 7 or 8 or more traps disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 13 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Ingenious Debilitation bonus: 17 or more traps disarmed +30% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 12 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 14 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Chests: 2
- Two chests after defeating Draeton (one may be contingent upon completing objectives)
- Collectables: 9
- Bones in the midst of the tents between the Gnoll camp and the Orc palisade
- Four piles of Bones in the Gnoll camp
- Four piles of Bones in the Orc palisade
- NPC rewards: Always contain following 3 named Helms
Named Chest Drop
- Elemental Fury - Short Sword
- Shield of Morning - Small Shield -
|Arricaxerxes (view)||Undead||White Dragon|
|Gnoll Skirmisher (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Gnoll Tracker (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Gnoll Warlock (view)||Gnoll||Gnoll|
|Hill Giant Shaman (view)||Giant||Giant|
|Hill Giant Warrior (NoPic)||Giant||Giant|
|Orc Archer (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Orc Battle Priest (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Orc Berserker (view)||Orc||Orc|
|Shadar-kai Assassin (Monster) (view)||Humanoid||Shadar-kai|
|Shadar-kai Blackguard (NoPic)||Humanoid||Shadar-kai|
|Worg (view)||Magical Beast||Wolf|