What Goes Up
It turns out the Netherese are holding Oriphaun captive deep within the glacier. But that's not all - they have also excavated an artifact called a Mythallar, there. Its purpose remains a mystery.
|Requires access to : Shadowfell Conspiracy|
|What Goes Up|
|Takes place in:||Mountain Glacier|
|Bestowed by:||Sherrod Starym|
|NPC contact:||Sherrod Starym|
|Quest acquired in:||Eveningstar|
|Free to Play:||No|
Sherrod Starym was able to scry the captured Oriphaun Huntsilver's location. He is being held inside the Mountain Glacier, at the high peaks of the Storm Horns.
Sherrod also told you that the magical artifact known as the mythallar is growing in power to dangerous proportions, and that you should deal with it at the same time that you rescue Oriphaun.
- You have to complete all 4 of the Secret of the Storm Horns pre-quests, including turning them in for reward (back at the bridge in Eveningstar), and then speak to Sherrod Starym (nearer the gate to the Storm Horns) to be able to open this quest instance.
- Locate the heart of the glacier
- Find and rescue Oriphaun
- Disrupt the Netherese spellcasters
- Exit the Mythallar Chamber
- Sink the flying fortress
- Return to the Mythallar
- Destroy the flight pillars
- Defeat the Archwizard Amskar
- Defeat all the Shadovars
- Return to the Mythallar
- (Optional) Find the jeweled keys (two) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat Vocis the Shade — Bonus (15%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find a use for the jeweled keys — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Jump off the flying glacier! — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- Evil Spell Ward in a room with crates.
- Telekinetic Spell Ward in another room with crates.
- Another Spell Ward in the treasure room
- Pressure plate in front of the correct chest in the treasure room
- (Spell Wards only appear if you fail the skill check to open the rooms safely.)
Tips and Misc
This is a long quest with multiple maps.
- Getting to the entrance
- There's a far shifter NPC inside Storm Horns wilderness.
- The fastest way is to pay 3 Astral Shards to get teleported directly to the entrance.
- A more reasonable option is to teleport to the North Camp, and then head roughly due east to the Mountain Glacier quest entrance. If you have not found the North Camp, then use the Northwest Camp. If not that, then you have a long hike ahead of you, starting northwest and looping around (see map).
- Tip (death taxi, soul stone ride): If at least one person has the teleport unlocked (or is willing to pay the AS cost), other party members can die (take off armor/fort and find a bear, or drown). The surviving person picks up the soul stone(s), teleports to the camp or quest entrance, and resurrects the group.
- First map
- The only required kills in this part are the first few guards, killing them opens the gate.
- A player with very high stealth skills can make their way through most of the first map undetected.
- There are two optional jeweled keys, needed to open two chests later. The first is on this map, at one of the following locations:
- Under the first stairs
- In the eastern dead end with wolves
- Up, behind crates, near the first giant
- At the top of the second ramp where the frost giants are first encountered, on an ice ledge running around to a door opened with a lever.
- Don't be in a hurry to use this shrine now - there is some combat ahead, followed by a big fight at the end of the next map. You can return here from that map at any time to use the shrine before continuing.
- Second map
- To proceed, you have to find two crests; Oriphaun Huntsilver has one, and both he and the other are in random side alcoves. Most of the alcoves are (mostly) empty, but you have to get the crests, and optionally kill Vocis if you want the second jeweled key.
- To unlock the barriers, go to the far eastern, inner passage, use that orb (UMD, Concentration or pay Astral Shards), and fight two mini-bosses. (Input data on this page). Then use the inner "elaborate control orbs", which have a higher DC; If you fail the check, barriers open but spell wards can appear in the rooms (which can be disabled as normal).
- The "obelisks" and purple orbs look scary, but they are just breakables.
- Behind the barriers, find (randomly located):
- Wolf signet to open the way forward.
- Oriphaun, who carries the other signet.
- Note - Following Oriphaun to the fight (see below) ends this section, so finish any optionals before that fight. Either do not speak to Oriphaun until you are ready, or, at the barriers, he says "After you..." - he'll wait for you to finish.
- Optional: After unlocking "all" the barriers, a red barrier remains in the southeast corner. Find the silver key that fits into a concealed golden elaborate control orb (random alcove) to open the way to this optional fight with Vocis the Shade. Defeating Vocis allows you to pick up the second jeweled key after the fight.
- Slot the signet to proceed to a big orb, the mythallar. Kill mages, then Zeligat. Trash respawns until Zeligat dies.
- When you defeat Zeligat and his lackeys, you're transported to the Mythallar Chamber with no way back (short of Dimension Door); therefore, if you haven't already used it, you may as well use the shrine (at the end of the previous section) before that fight. You can return to that shrine anytime before killing Zelligat.
- There are also a couple of resurrection-only shrines en route ahead (always appear) and a final shrine at the ramp before the top of the glacier. If you do not use this shrine at this time, you can come back to use it later (see end fight notes).
- Third map
- Treasure barricade contains slow Spell Ward (only if you fail on the UMD roll to open it) and four chests which all require the jeweled keys to open. Two are empty, two are nice and full - but at best you only have 2 keys (if you found both). Use your Spot skill and walk near each one to see which chest "shows signs of being used recently" (the recently used chest is likely to be full).
- If your Spot is high enough, you will get a message onscreen and in general chat window. Spot 51 on EN was enough for 1 chest hint. Spot 50 was enough on EH for 1 hint.
- Be patient - the message can sometimes be delayed.
- With 50 Spot, some of the trapped chest triggers became visible (well before the Spot message).
- End fight
- If you fall off the plateau to a spot without land below, you will die and your soul stone will be deposited by the first shrine on the glacier map, with a long run back to the fight.
- If you did not yet use the rest shrine at the end of the last ("second") map, you can go back through the portal and use it.
- Both shrines right before the boss (near the base of the ramp up to the plateau) will become inaccessible when the final boss fight starts.
- Between the pillars and near the glacier's edge, there are raised areas of rock and ice, just high enough to hide behind. A ranged character can shoot at the nearby pillars from behind these, out of the line of sight of most(!) patrolling trash.
- The boss teleports frequently to several spots. If you get too close, he tends to teleport away.
- Aside from killing the 4 flight pillars, there are 4 parts of the end fight before the glacier goes down:
- Kill 2 waves of orcs
- Kill Ice Elementals
- Kill 4 Shadovars
- Kill Amskar
- One tactic is to kill some orcs from the first or second wave and kite around the remaining orcs while the rest of the party destroys the pillars. After the orcs (and the pillars), kite around the elementals and the shadar-kai while the party focuses on one elemental at a time thus killing only the required elementals and not the respawning shadar-kai. The same goes for the Shadovar; kite shadar-kai around while party focuses on shadovars. Same goes for Amskar; kite the orcs and shadar-kai around while the party focuses on Amskar. If the kiter somehow dies, the safest response is for the rest of the party to jump down to a safe point instead of trying to deal with the now rampaging trash mobs.
- For the "Jump off the flying glacier!" optional, jump from the upper glacier (where Amskar and all his spawning mobs are) to the lower glacier (the section between exiting from the Mythallar chamber until the final gate). Do not jump off the glacier entirely; this will merely kill you without completing the optional. Delay your jump for as long as possible also, to ensure the optional.
- The safest spot to jump seems to be the east side of the top glacier, over the wooden battlements. Wait for a few seconds after the optional appears. You want to land at the very first draw bridge, the one that is opened by killing all the orcs near the bones collectable with the words, and which displays the message about "Angry giant bellows" when opened. If done correctly, you should get the optional xp when landing at the entrance to the drawbridge.
- If you jump wrong (i.e., off the glacier entirely), your soulstone will appear with everyone else's at the end, near a shrine.
- To get the end chests, characters must proceed to the glacier area, even if only after the fight is over.
- Discreet bonus: 62 or fewer monsters killed +5% Bonus.
- Aggression bonus: 195 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Onslaught bonus: 257 or more monsters killed +15% Bonus.
- Conquest bonus: 312 or more monsters killed +25% Bonus.
- Tamper bonus: 1 or more trap disarmed +10% Bonus.
- Neutralization bonus: 3 or more traps disarmed +20% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 70 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 91 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Ransack bonus: 112 or more breakables smashed +15% Bonus.
- Notes: Breakable requirements reset after you kill Zeligat
- Chests: 4 to 6
- 0-2 in treasure barricade with jeweled keys (other 2 are empty... and you can only open 2 total)
- 1 large chest that can contain the rare named items (to the right as you look at the valley)
- +1 on Casual/Normal (to left of shrine)
- +2 on Hard (to left of shrine)
- +3 on Elite (to left of shrine)
- Collectables: 6
- Bones where you can see that the "massive shape of the Mythallar has been almost fully excavated."
- Bones behind the closed gate after climbing the ramp
- Adventurer's Pack in Vocis' chamber
- Adventurer's Pack in the Mythallar chamber (be sure to get it before killing Zeligat)
- Adventurer's Pack around the corner from the first bridge on top of the glacier, to the west
- Bones before the first closed gate on the glacier, to the east
- NPC rewards: Always contain following 3 named rings
Named Chest Drop
- Consuming Darkness - Ring - - Jeweled Key chest, & End chest
- Goatskin Boots - Boots - - End chest, Jeweled Key chest
- Thunder and Lightning - Handwraps - - End chest
Elaborate Control Orb DCs
You are not required to succeed on the skill checks to proceed on the quest. However, failing the skill check will create Spell Wards at the failed rooms.
The left orb controls the south rooms. The right orb controls the north rooms. The Dark Room requires the Silver Key to unlock the control orb in the Wizards' quarters.
Bug: As of Update 20, if you try to use the "Open all barriers" options, you will always be forced to make a UMD check, even if you had chosen to make a concentration check before.
|Use Magical Device DC (Heroic table)|
Left Orb (Heroic, UMD)
Right Orb (Heroic, UMD)
|Concentration DC (Heroic table)|
Left Orb (Heroic, Concentration)
Right Orb (Heroic, Concentration)
|Use Magical Device DC (Epic table)|
Left Orb (Epic, UMD)
Right Orb (Epic, UMD)
|Concentration DC (Epic table)|
Left Orb (Epic, Concentration)
Right Orb (Epic, Concentration)
|Use Magical Device|