Sealed in Amber
You have come up the lonely Tsolenka Pass in search of Kasimir Velikov, only to find him before an ancient temple of amber... a place he claims holds powerful treasures, long forgotten, which will aid you in your fight against Strahd.
|Requires access to : Mists of Ravenloft|
|Sealed in Amber|
|Takes place in:||The Amber Temple|
|Bestowed by:||Kasimir Velikov|
|NPC contact:||Kasimir Velikov|
|Quest acquired in:||The Land of Barovia|
|Patron:||Keepers of the Feather|
|Free to Play:||No|
- Speak with Kasimir and Madam Eva
- Find the Symbol of Ravenkind
- (Optional) Draw Strahd's attention (Interact with 100 Sarcophagi) — Bonus (50%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find another password — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find yet another password — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find one more password — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Find the vestige of Zhudun for Kasimir (NOTE: this is NOT optional, but mandatory, if the 'Soldier' card is drawn by Madam Eva. It is also mandatory if you wish to open the end chest.) — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Investigate the disturbance — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Restore the lich's memory — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Destroy the lich on principle — Bonus (20%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Repair the shield guardian — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Reach the secret overlook — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Withstand Strahd's challenge — Bonus (60%): Heroic Epic
Tips and Misc
- Approach and follow Kasimir into The Amber Temple
- Talk to Kasimir.
- Use Kasimir's Notes to learn the first password needed (Yantar) to open the temple doors.
- To speak with Madam Eva you must find her ethereal avatar which is located in the library (the octagonal room just south of the 'end chest' room on the map). This room can be accessed three ways - through the Lich's chamber, through the main hall (both requiring the "Maverus"/Password #4, or "Etherna"/Password #3 - see below), or with enough Search to detect the secret door in north wall of the East gold coin chamber.
- At the start, the temple's defences will be activated and you will have to de-activate them. Go through the north door behind the statue on the bottom floor, and up till you find a dimension door behind the statue's head. The levers in the room control the traps, and the lever to the left of the portal controls the teleport to T3 (Hooded One location) and T4 (overlook chests). Pulling the trap levers deactivates the teleport to the chests.
- The other passwords are written on pieces of paper located around the temple. They are not always in the same locations. Some possible password locations are in the first map.
- The second password - Wish scroll, Mrak
- The third - Mordenkainen scroll, Etherna
- The fourth - Fireball scroll, Maverus
- Killing all of the skeletons in the hall accessed by going south between the staircases from the main hall will spawn the orange named skeleton Harkotha's Vigilance.
- Located around the temple are Amber Sarcophagi. Interacting with all of them will Draw Strahd's attention. There aren't actually 100 of them. When interacted with they will either be empty or have an undead monster inside. Accepting their gift will spawn a ghast named after the character that spawned it followed by one of the seven deadly sins. Accepting the gift will also grant a buff that will last one hour, persisting after you leave the quest (except the two hellhounds, which last 30 minutes). One sarcophagus offers the gift of the Vampire; you can ask it if Strahd accepted this gift. It's OK to accept it. A lich spirit will refuse to grant a buff, likely if you're not in Undead form yourself.
- Entering the West hallway from the temple floor will trigger the optional event Investigate the Disturbance and spawn the orange named werewolf Helwa the Red.
- Vestige of Zhudun - Going to the central North hallway, you will enter the library. On the North bookcase is a secret door (Legendary Elite 62 DC) that has three Amber Sarcophagus. The North one contains the Vestige of Zhudun needed to complete the optional for Kasimir. Kasimir will run back into the library and cast a Dimensional Door and take you into a room to resurrect his sister, Patrina Velikovna (in some cultures, surnames get a gender-specific suffix). Giving her the password to the library (Maverus) will trigger an event where Strahd appears. Patrina betrays her brother and in return Strahd betrays Patrina. If you have Drawn Strahd's Attention, Strahd will then summon several vampiric ex-adventurers and deadly sin ghasts. Defeating them will yield two chests with named loot in one of them. If you have not Drawn Strahd's Attention, there is only the one chest with named loot. Do not leave the library before Strahd's dialogue is complete, since he will summon a barrier and prevent your re-entry into the library.
- Behind one of the secret doors (located in the central Eastern square room) is an inert Shield Guardian. To repair it you will need the Odd Necklace dropped by Vilnius (located on the upper East octagon room). Completing this optional requires an Artificer or a suitably high Repair skill (DC unknown 5/26/19)
- The Absent-minded Lich is located in the Northwestern rectangle room. His phylactery is located behind a bookcase secret door located on the North wall. The phylactery behind the altar is trapped and a decoy. His true phylactery is in the left-hand corner in a censer. Destroying his phylactery will turn the lich hostile and attack you. Destroying his phylactery is also the only way to prevent him from auto healing back to full too. You can restore the Lich's memory by casting a Lesser Restoration or Restoration spell or scroll on him (you must have him hard-targeted before casting). To start a fight after restoring his memory, destroy his phylactery.
- The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind has a number of possible locations depending on which card Madame Eva draws. Picking it up will complete the quest. It is possible to pick it up before learning the fourth password or completing the Find the Vestige of Zhudun for Kasimir optional event.
- One is located in the miniature scale Castle of Ravenloft in the upper central octagon room. "'I see a castle of parchment upon a round, wood table. I see many tomes."
- One is the absent-minded lich room (Tarokka Card: The Broken One, text: "I see a secret place. I see a dead man who has forgotten his name. There is something here which is hidden from me. Magic may mend what words cannot.")
- One is in one of the treasure rooms (Miser Card) to either the left or right side of the statue in the main hall. (She mentions a room carpeted with gold.)
- If you get the Traitor ("I see a vault secured within the earth. Guarded by amber, duty, and fire. Beware the coward."), the Symbol of Ravenkind will be in the NE-most hexagonal room with Amber Sarcophagi and probably a few flaming skulls.
- Soldier: Madam Eva says, "I see a place of rest and regrets, not within the temple itself, but somewhere near, where treachery begets scorn and misery." Finding the vestige of Zhudun for Kasimir becomes mandatory and sets off a string of events. See 'Going to the central North hallway' above for details.
- The antechamber to the Lich room, has multiple Death Slaads guarding it: "I see a chamber of hidden malice and vigilance by fiends bound by ancient contracts."
- Wizard: the room right behind where Madame Eva is found (see map marked Wizard).
- To reach the overlook, pull the first lever to your right as you enter the room of seven levers ( to the left of the portal if you're facing it ). Then go back through the portal and drop down. Go down the lower west hallway. Turn south at the first intersection then right at the next intersection. Pass the glowing portal door on your right hand and go to the end of the hall. There is a room with golden bunk beds and skeletal archers. In each corner there is a portal device that should now have glowing gold swirls in it, showing that it's active. One (NW corner - T4 on the map) takes you to the overlook with two chests. The other (SE corner) leads to the room just south of the library where you can fight the death slaad. You can also use this method to get to the library without learning the final password (Mavernus). You can learn it by restoring the lich's memory and asking him for the location of the library--he then tells you the final password.
- In the second room south from the lich, you'll get a message about hearing a single coin fall. If you look up, there is a chest somehow stuck to the ceiling. If you jump up and land, the floor will break under you, and you'll fall into a treasure room studded with spikes. The chest on the ceiling also falls. It is a mimic, but there is another chest also in the treasure room.
Dark Gifts received from Amber Sarcophagi
The buffs generally grant profane bonuses, last for one hour and are not removed on leaving adventure. Accepting a dark gift or dying with one active will spawn a ghoul to attack you and your party.
- Dark Gift of: Dahlver-Nar, He of the Many Teeth: You'll be able to resurrect when you die, it said. (Resurrect on death)
- Dark Gift of: Delban, the Star of Ice and Hate: Ice and Hate will be your allies, it said. (+15 Cold Spell Power, Hate-magnet like effect)
- Dark Gift of: Drizlash, the Nine-Eyed Spider: You'll be as nimble as a spider, it said. (+4 Dexterity)
- Dark Gift of: Ferke, Queen of Poxes: Your wrath will make your foes envy the dead, it said. (+15 Acid spell power, ??? other effects)
- Dark Gift of: Great Taar Haak, the Five-Headed Destroyer: Everyone will know their weakness and inferiority to you, it said. (+4 Strength, +3% Doublestrike, +10 Intimidate)
- Dark Gift of: Khirad, the Star of Secrets: You'll see traps and opportunities where others see nothing, it said. (+5 Spot, +10 Search, +10 Disable Device)
- Dark Gift of: Norganas, the Finger of Oblivion: The force of your spells will match your personality, it said. (+15 Force Spell Power)
- Dark Gift of: Savnok the Inscrutable: Your brilliance will only be matched by your capacity for evil, it said. (+4 Intelligence, +10 Bluff)
- Dark Gift of: Seriach, the Hell Hound Whisperer: A pair of contractually obligated Hell Hounds will follow you into battle, it said. (Bug: Reaper spawned a pair of CR: 11 Hell Hounds, if actively fighting or have offensive AOE in place the hounds will die instantly)
- Dark Gift of: Shami-Amourae, the Lady of Delights: You will know what's good for you, it said. (+4 Wisdom)
- Dark Gift of: Sykane, the Soul Hungerer: Your ferocity in battle will feast on the souls of the slain, it said. (Vampirism on melee attacks)
- Dark Gift of: Tarakamedes, the Grave Wyrm: You will leap over deep chasms in a single bound, it said. (+15 Jump)
- Dark Gift of: the Vampyr: You will know how to turn into a vampire lord, it said. - (Unknown ???)
- Dark Gift of: Vaund the Evasive: You'll be better at something rather vague, it said. (+10 Tumble, +10 Bluff, +20 Dodge)
- Dark Gift of: Yog the Invincible: You will be invincible, it said. - (+4 Constitution, -15 Movement Speed)
- Dark Gift of: Yrrga, the Eye of Shadows: You will know how meaningless existence is, it said. (True Seeing )
- Dark Gift of: Zantras, the Kingmaker: You won't take no for an answer, it said. (+4 Charisma, +10 Intimidate, +10 Diplomacy, Intimidating Presence)
- Dark Gift of: Zrin-Hala, the Howling Storm: Your fury will lash out at your foes with lightning and thunder, it said. (+15 Electrical Spell Power))
- Please help us update: (Gifts; wording, descriptions and effects, many more are still required!)
- Aggression bonus: 141 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 6 or more secret doors discovered +8% Bonus.
- Perception bonus: 8 or more secret doors discovered +10% Bonus.
- Vigilant Sight bonus: 9 or more secret doors discovered +15% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 21 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Chests: Eleven
- Two in the secret overlook (top of large statue in central chamber; one is locked)
- One in each of the rooms with piles of gold (2; temple floor Northeast & Northwest small square rooms)
- One for defeating Harkotha's Vigilance (lower South rooms after killing all the skeletons)
- One for defeating Helwa the Red while Investigating the Disturbance (upper Southwest large square room)
- One for defeating Jakarion's Fiery Vengeance (upper Southeast large square room)
- One for defeating Baba Yana (Northeast treasure room)
- One for destroying the Absent-minded Lich (upper Northwest rectangle room)
- One for defeating Strahd's forces in the library (central North octagon room) - has named loot
- One additional chest in the same location if you have completed the Draw Strahd's Attention optional before that - has named loot (Update 40 change)
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
|Heinrich Stolt (view)||Evil Outsider||Yugoloth|
|Absent-minded Lich (view)||Undead||Lich|
|Baba Yana (view)||Humanoid||Hag|
|Harkotha's Vigilance (view)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Helwa the Red (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Werewolf|
|Jakarion's Fiery Vengeance (NoPic)||Undead||Skeleton|
|Amber Golem (view)||Construct|
|Amber Temple Hellhound (NoPic)|
|Barovian Adventurer (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Barovian Vagabond (NoPic)||Humanoid||Human|
|Barovian Witch (view)||Humanoid||Hag|
|Benighted Ghast (view)||Undead||Ghoul|
|Death Slaad (view)||Outsider||Slaad|
|Dire Mist Wolf (view)||Animal||Wolf|
|Mist Wolf (view)||Animal||Wolf|
|Mountain Folk Berserker (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Mountain Folk Hunter (view)||Humanoid||Human|
|Mountain Folk Werewolf (view)||Monstrous Humanoid||Werewolf|
|Quasit (view)||Fire Outsider||Mephit|