Physical Resistance Rating
|Update 23 Armor Up changes|
- 1 Overview
- 2 PRR and % reduction
- 3 Sources of PRR
- 3.1 Items
- 3.2 Feats
- 3.3 Enhancements
- 3.3.1 Bladeforged enhancements
- 3.3.2 Deep Gnome enhancements
- 3.3.3 Dragonborn enhancements
- 3.3.4 Deepwood Stalker enhancements
- 3.3.5 Eldritch Knight enhancements
- 3.3.6 Henshin Mystic enhancements
- 3.3.7 Pale Master enhancements
- 3.3.8 Ravager enhancements
- 3.3.9 Sacred Defender enhancements
- 3.3.10 Shintao enhancements
- 3.3.11 Sorcerer (elemental form)
- 3.3.12 Stalwart Defender enhancements
- 3.3.13 Tempest enhancements
- 3.3.14 Thief-Acrobat enhancements
- 3.3.15 Warchanter enhancements
- 3.3.16 Warforged enhancements
- 3.3.17 Warpriest enhancements
- 3.3.18 Wood Elf enhancements
- 3.4 Epic Destinies
- 4 Monsters with PRR
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
Physical Resistance Rating (abbreviated PRR) is a form of damage mitigation that was introduced with Update 14.
It provides a percentage reduction in physical damage (bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing), and is granted through multiple sources (items, feats, enhancements) and stacks with itself. Multiple effects granting an Enhancement bonus to Physical Resistance do not stack. Character sheets show the Physical Resistance Rating of the player next to the elemental resistances.
PRR is applied after damage reduction. The PRR is applied to the damage that passes through the DR and is always rounded down. As such If a player would take 20 damage before DR or PRR and has 10 DR and 60 PRR (37.5% reduction), the result is:
- (20 - 10) * 37.5% = 3.75 rounded down to 3
- 3 damage is resisted
PRR and % reduction
The formula for calculating damage mitigation for physical damage was changed in Update 23. The new formula is: 100/(100+Rating). Incoming damage is multiplied by this number.
Example: A character is hit for 100 points of damage.
- 0 PRR takes full damage, 100 points.
- 20 PRR takes 16.67% less damage, 83 points.
- 100 PRR takes 50% less damage, 50 points.
In effect, this means that for every point of PRR that you gain, your effective hit points is increased by 1%. This is entirely off of the base, rather than cumulative, and thus beyond a certain point, hit points might be more valuable that PRR alone...
Sources of PRR
- Physical Resistance Rating offered by armor type / docent body feat / shield type:
|Light armor||BAB * 1|
|Medium armor||BAB * 1.5|
|Heavy armor||BAB * 2|
|Mithral Body||BAB * 1|
|Adamantine Body||BAB * 2|
- Note: Stacks with the Sheltering enhancement
- See Category:Sheltering items
- Enhancement bonus:
- Artifact bonus:
- Insight bonus:
- item with Insightful Sheltering (such as Circle of Malevolence, up to +5)
- item with Insightful Physical Sheltering (up to +22)
- Quality bonus:
- item with Quality Physical Sheltering (up to +11)
- Luck bonus: Unbreakable Adamancy set bonus, +5
- Mythic bonus: Mythic Boost items (on armor, shield, boots, back, head, neck, wrist), up to +4
- Reaper bonus
- Profane bonus: Bloodrage Chrism
- Ever Watchful - bonus equal to the number of Religious Lore feats you have, situationally
- Greater Rage +10 when Barbarian raging in medium armor
- Natural Fighting +4
- Shield Mastery +3/+5/+10 when using a buckler or small shield / large shield / tower shield
- Improved Shield Mastery +5/+10/+15
- Two Weapon Defense +5 when you wield two weapons (not unarmed/handwraps)
- Past Life: Purple Dragon Knight: +3, stacks 3 times
- Epic PL in Divine sphere: +3, stacks 3 times per type, up to +27
- Deific Warding +10, up to +30 situationally
- Dreamscape +15 situationally
- Guardian Angel +PRR equal to Wisdom score, situationally
- Scion of Elysium +25 for summons / hirelings
- Scion of Limbo +30 situationally
- Scion of the Plane of Earth +20
- Scion of the Plane of Fire +10
- Lesser Mountain Stance +3
- Mountain Stance +8
- Greater Mountain Stance +12
- Ultimate Mountain Stance +15
- Communion of Warding +4/+8/+12 Physical Resistance Rating
- Hardy Nature +1/+2/+3
- Harder Scales +2/+4/+6
- Survivalist I-III: up to +12 in light armor
- Improved Shield improves the Physical Resistance Rating by 3/6/10 while under the effects of the Shield spell.
- Each core enhancement grants +3 PRR.
- Shroud of the Zombie: +3
- Undead Augmentation (Deathly Touch): +5 while in any Pale Shroud
- Eternal Furor: +15 while in any Pale Shroud
- Ascendant Shroud: +10 while in Shroud of the Zombie
- Ritual Scarring improves the Physical Resistance Rating by 1/2/3.
- Sacred Defense: +10 Physical Resistance
- Improved Sacred Defense - Durable Defense: When in Sacred Defense, you gain +5/+10/+15 Sacred bonus to Physical Resistance Rating.
- Redemption: +5 Physical Resistance
- Glorious Stand: +5 Physical Resistance
- Eternal Defender: +5 Physical Resistance
- Harbored by Light: You gain +10/15/25 Physical Resistance Rating.
- Iron Skin improves the Physical Resistance Rating by 5/10/20.
- Meditation of War improves the Physical Resistance Rating while under Mountain Stance by 10.
Sorcerer (elemental form)
- Stalwart Defense stance improves the Physical Resistance Rating by 10.
- Improved Stalwart Defense - Durable Defense improves the Physical Resistance Rating while on Stalwart Defense Stance by additional 5/10/15.
- Cores: 2+1+1+1+1+1
- Dervish (capstone): +10
- Improved Defense: +1/2/3
- Improved Parry: +3/6/10 while dual-wielding. (This bonus does not apply when fighting unarmed/with handwraps).
- Spinning Staff Wall: Activate to gain 50 PRR for 20 seconds. Cooldown: 90 seconds.
- Rough and Ready improves the Physical Resistance Rating by 2/4/6.
- Ironskin Chant provides +6 Music bonus to everyone around
- Warmaster (capstone): +15 Music bonus to single ally
- Adamantine Durability +4/+8/+12 Physical Resistance Rating
- Memories of the Last War: +8 Determination bonus
- Wall of Steel +3/+6/+10 Physical Resistance Rating
- Sanctuary For 20 seconds, you gain +20 Sacred bonus to Physical Resistance. (Activation Cost: 10 Spell Points. Cooldown: 1 minute)
- Forest Origins: Oath of the Wild: You take an oath to forego metal armor, metal shields, and Rune Arms. As long as you do not have these equipped, you gain +10 Physical Resistance Rating.
- Supporting Construction: +2/4/6 Physical Resistance Rating
- Action Boost Defence: +5/10/15 Action Boost bonus to Armor Class and Physical Resistance rating for 20 seconds
- Audience with the Queen (Shiradi Champion tier 6): up to +100 situational
- Damage Reduction (Fury of the Wild tier 2): up to +6
- Ephemeral Evolution (Primal Avatar tier 1): up to +15 situational
- Heavenly Presence (Divine Crusader tier 5): +10
- Heed No Pain (Unyielding Sentinel 4th core): +10 and extra +20 while in Unbreakable stance
- Improved Combat Expertise (Legendary Dreadnought tier 2): +20 when Combat Expertise is active
- Legendary Shield Mastery (Unyielding Sentinel tier 2): up to +15 when wearing a shield
- Master's Blitz (Legendary Dreadnought tier 6): +30
- Sigil of Spell Warding (Magister tier 1): +15
- Standing with Stone (Grandmaster of Flowers tier 4): up to +15 when in Mountain stance
Monsters with PRR
Monsters usually don't have PRR. Some enemies in the newer content have PRR, such as Abishai or Erinyes.
When you fight such enemies, you get yellow numbers indicating reduced damage. The same yellow numbers are used for damage reduction, causing frequent confusion (for example Yellow numbers removed in Update 41 Patch 3.
Player characters have a few options for reducing enemy PRR, for example:
- Banishing Arrows: -1 PRR/MRR, stacks up to 25 times. 5 stacks fade away every 3 seconds. (for outsider enemies only)
- Devour the Soul: -20 PRR/MRR for 6 seconds
- Legendary Dust weapon: -7 PRR and -20 hamp per stack, maximum stack 5
- Melted Armor debuff: -10 PRR and MRR on each hit, does not stack with itself, duration 12 seconds
- Shattered Device four piece filigree set bonus
- Soul Tear
- Taint the Aura: -2 SR, PRR and MRR per stack, up to 5 stacks, 10 seconds duration
Since Update 41 Patch 3, player damage should properly increase when monster PRR is reduced below zero.
- Player damage increase equals to the negative PRR score. For example, against a target with -10 PRR you deal +10% damage.
- Tests: DDO Vault