Introduced in Update 18 as part of the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion, Iconic Heroes (or simply Iconics) are a form of character creation, sort of like a mix of Veteran Status, 32 point build, and new race. Most Iconics are based on a Heroic race, but each Iconic race has its own Racial enhancement tree, which is usually similar but not the same as their Heroic racial equivalent.
Iconics can start at Level 15, and so have special rules for Character generation. They also must advance to Level 30 to reincarnate, at which time they can re-enter the world as either a Level 1 Heroic race or Level 15 Iconic race.
As a special ability, all Iconics can choose to travel to either Forgotten Realms or Eberron from the character selection screen, without purchasing the Hall of Heroes Passport account upgrade. Upon changing "worlds", they arrive in the Hall of Heroes in that other world.
The races can be bought via the DDO Store, although some are also available elsewhere.
The initial four Iconic Hero races:
- Purple Dragon Knights are included with any version of the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion.
- Shadar-kai Assassin (Iconic extraplanar outsider Rogues from the Plane of Shadow)
- Sun Elf (aka Morning Lord) (Iconic elven Cleric)
- Both Shadar-kai and Morninglords are included with the "Collector's Edition" of the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion.
New Iconic Heroes:
- Scourges are included in the "Ultimate Fan Bundle" of the Mists of Ravenloft expansion.
- Scoundrels are included with "Ultimate Fan Bundle" of the Masterminds of Sharn expansion.
The green cells mean that the race has +2 to that ability score as a racial trait, red cells mean -2. The "Racial ability enhancement" column shows the maximum an ability can be increased via the racial enhancement tree.
|Race||First class||Strength||Dexterity||Constitution||Intelligence||Wisdom||Charisma||Racial ability enhancement|
|Aasimar Scourge||Ranger||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||10-20||8-18||+2 (total) to Strength and/or Wisdom and/or Charisma|
|Deep Gnome (Svirfneblin)||Wizard||6-16||8-18||8-18||10-20||10-20||6-16||+2 (total) to Intelligence and/or Wisdom|
|Sun Elf (Morninglord)||Cleric||8-18||8-18||6-16||10-20||8-18||8-18||+2 Intelligence|
|Purple Dragon Knight||Fighter||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||+1 to two different stats of your choice|
|Shadar-kai||Rogue||8-18||10-20||8-18||8-18||8-18||6-16||+1 to one of Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom|
|Tiefling Scoundrel||Bard||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||8-18||10-20||+2 Charisma|
Iconic Character Generation
All Iconic Characters start in special locations and are given enough XP to level to 15 (1,050,000 XP for 1st life characters*).
- (* This is not true for Iconic characters on the Hardcore League server, which has special rules for Iconic characters.
Along with starting with enough XP to reach Level 15, Iconics have special rules for character building.
- All Iconics start with an initial level of a designated (and Free to Play) class, according to their race, e.g. all Purple Dragon Knight characters will always start with Fighter as their Level 1 class, all Shadar=kai will always start with Rogue as their Level 1 class, etc. These classes are listed in the "Overview" of the article for each race (and the above table).
- Players starting Iconics have several sets of decisions to make. First, they can either:
- Enter standard character creation process, where they "customize" their character's abilities, feats, skills, and alignment. (This is the default, and does not need to be specifically selected.)
- or, they can choose to take a predefined path, with predetermined abilities, and starting feats and skills. You still determine your character's sex, name and appearance, but all other variables (including alignment) are pre-selected for you.
From there, the Iconic enters a special area as a Level 1 character and speaks with Elminster. Here, the player has their second choice, to either:
- If you chose the Path, you can "Accept <class> Training", which applies the rest of the Feats and Skills from the standard path for that race, continuing as a "pure" build of their initial class.
- You can either do all 15 levels automatically, or you can see what each level of that class offers, level by level, stopping when you wish. Once you refuse to take an additional level as presented, you cannot re-enter the automatic sequence.
- If you chose to "customize" your character in step 1, this will always be done level-by-level, continuing to customize the character as that class as long as you wish.
- You can also "Reject training", leaving the area as a Level 1 with 1,050,000 XP and level 15 "banked". You can then either...
- train normally with heroic trainers (including multiclassing options), to level 15
- or begin questing immediately as a Level 1 character.
- or some combination of those, taking some but not all of your levels and questing at whatever level you choose.
- Note that, due to the rules of banking XP, you will not (usually) earn any additional XP from quests until you take Level 14.
Regardless which of these choices are made, Iconics receive their own set of starter equipment upon taking Level 15.
- Lesser Reincarnation:
- Iconic characters can lesser reincarnate as normal. With a Lesser Heart of Wood that is +1 or better, you may choose to remove the default first level in your given class (assuming the new class meets restrictions - see Lesser Reincarnation for full discussion).
- Heroic True Reincarnation:
- Heroic True Reincarnation (at Level 20) is not available for characters currently on any Iconic life. You must level to 30 for any form of Reincarnation (except Lesser Reincarnation).
- Iconic True Reincarnation:
- Iconic True Reincarnation is only available for characters currently on an Iconic life.
- You must be at the level cap (level 30) to Iconic True Reincarnate.
- Epic Reincarnation:
- Epic Reincarnation is available to Iconic characters.
- You must be at the level cap (level 30) to Epic Reincarnate.