Under the Cover of Darkness
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Under the Cover of Darkness is the 2nd quest in the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh .|
|These quests can be completed in any order.|
|The Haunting of Saltmarsh • Under the Cover of Darkness • Danger at Dunwater • The Final Enemy • Swim at Your Own Risk|
Town of Saltmarsh asked you to capture or sink the smuggling vessel, the infamous Sea Ghost.
|Requires access to : Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh|
|Under the Cover of Darkness|
|Takes place in:||On the Trail of the Smugglers|
|Bestowed by:||Anders Solmor|
|NPC contact:||Anders Solmor|
|Quest acquired in:||The Snapping Line Inn|
|Free to Play:||No|
Now that we have found smugglers, Anders has asked us to work with Deputy Mazgill to deal with them.
Spoiler Warning: Information below this point can be considered spoiler material!
- Capture or burn down smugglers ship
- Find out what they are smuggling
- Find out who their buyers are
- (Optional) Lie your way to the cargo hold — Bonus (5%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Free the sea elf — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Set fire to flammable cargo — Bonus (3%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the captain — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the deck wizard — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the first mate — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Defeat the bosun — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Deal with the rat infestation — Bonus (10%): Heroic Epic
- (Optional) Befriend Bimz, the pseudodragon — Bonus (30%): Heroic Epic
Tips and Misc
- This quest can be approached in multiple ways. Your three main objectives are:
- Capture or sink the ship: either kill all four red-named officers or smash 10 flammable barrels (bonus XP.)
- Discover what the ship is smuggling: find four crests hidden around the ship, or bluff the first mate into letting you in (bonus XP.)
- Discover the buyer's identities: talk to the Lizardfolk or read the documents in their cabin, or read the documents in the captain's cabin.
- You can talk to the Lizardfolk as long as the crew aren't attacking you. Make sure there are no mobs currently aggroed before entering the forecastle.
- Other optionals are:
- Give the expected signal and have the boat proceed to the port side
- Have a bluffer climb up to the deck and bluff the first mate via dialog
- You do not actually need bluff, you can pick the "Who's Fred?" option followed by "(Guess) Someone who knows there is no Fred", but this may require a stat check of some kind.
- Everyone else should stay near the ladder or on the boat at this point, or the mobs will become hostile. Trying to go anywhere else on the boat such as near Punketah's cabin will also cause them to become hostile.
- All party members should then follow the first mate into the cargo hold and convince him into starting a mutiny with social skills (bluff, intimidate or diplomacy). There is no difference except that bluff is harder. The first mate will try to move to the Bosun and attack him, but he frequently glitches and just stands there.
- Do not tell the First Mate that the captain is dead, as he will attack you to try and take the ship for himself.
- Clear the cargo hold, there will be several ways and Punketah will be in one of the waves.
- If you convince the first mate to start a mutiny, one stealthed cabin boy will switch sides and become friendly. As long as this cabin boy remains alive, no reinforcement waves will enter the cargo hold, making the quest much easier. Note that he usually gets killed quickly by the other mobs as he starts surrounded by enemies.
- Free oceanus (located behind a secret door) and lead him to another nearby secret door for him to get his gear, he will help you to fight mobs from then on.
- Make sure to grab crests when you see them throughout the ship.
- Common locations are the nets in the cargo hold, the bilge, the forecastle and Punketah's cabin.
- Make sure there are no remaining enemies in the cargo hold, then go to the forecastle. You can use diplomacy or intimidate to read the shipping documents without fighting the lizardfolk.
- If any enemies are still alive and actively fighting, the lizardfolk will immediately become hostile when they see you.
- Enter the captain's cabin and kill him, read the shipping documents.
- Once you find all crests, open the crest door in the cargo hold.
- Aggression bonus: 59 or more monsters killed +10% Bonus.
- Observance bonus: 1 or more secret door discovered +8% Bonus.
- Mischief bonus: 17 or more breakables smashed +8% Bonus.
- Vandal bonus: 23 or more breakables smashed +10% Bonus.
- Chests: 3
- Locked chest (Lock DC) in the second hidden room with Oceanus' equipment
- In the bilge for dealing with the rat infestation
- End chest
- Collectables: 8
- Bilge - Rubble near rats
- Bilge - Fungus near Shrine
- Cargo Hold - Adventurer's Pack in the second hidden room
- Cargo Hold - Cabinet in the second hidden room
- Forecastle - Adventurer's Pack
- Punketah's Cabin - Alchemy Table
- Punketah's Cabin - Scroll Rack
- Punketah's Cabin - Cabinet
- NPC rewards:
Named Chest Drop
|Name ( picture • New Monster )||CR||Type||Race|
|Bimz ( view • )||Dragon||Pseudodragon|
|Bloody Bjorn ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Cabin Boy ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Captain Sigurd Snake-Eyes ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Crew Mate ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Foul Frithoff ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Grizzled Smuggler ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Infected Ship Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|
|Lizardfolk Envoy ( view • )||Reptilian||Lizardfolk|
|Punketah ( view • )||Humanoid||Human|
|Ship Rat ( view • )||Animal||Rat|